FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » French reject EU constitution

Author Topic: French reject EU constitution
dh
Member # 6929

- posted      Profile for dh   Email dh         Edit/Delete Post 
55% said no, according to early estimates. Participation was 70%

Le Figaro
New York Times

Posts: 609 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Just saw that. It was kind of expected... What I can't believe is the participation percentage! I mean, I don't think there were as many voters at the last presidential election!
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

- posted      Profile for Choobak   Email Choobak         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes...

It's another road now... I think The re-writing of the text may be more "human" for the container and the containt.

Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Although I think the EU is an excellent idea, this may be for the best. Perhaps the Brussels elite will write something that can actually be read by non-lawyers, this time.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't have a problem parsing it.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
Tsk tsk, fugu. [No No]

Bragging is bad form. [Wink]

Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I didn't have a problem parsing it.
Typical.

I still have that crazy list of books you recommended read and it's not exactly fluff.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

I'm still not a lawyer [Razz]
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, eg the language concerning a common foreign policy.
Which in the US eg allowed Reagan to force American states to continue trade with SouthAfrica during Apartheid.
Like I said, a race to the lowest common denominator.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Ah yes, that wonderful logic by which the mere existence of national governments is a race to the lowest common denominator -- because part of the nature of national governments is that they unify foreign policy (though of course not everything unifying foreign policy is a national government).

Not to mention that the unification of foreign policy under the Constitution is in fact very limited, and largely limited to what exists in practice currently.

Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
[Wall Bash]
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lille Mu
Member # 7115

- posted      Profile for Lille Mu   Email Lille Mu         Edit/Delete Post 
Problem is that most of the french people has think french and not european : they wanted the government change, so they voted the contrary of the president's wish. Even if it was not the purpose of the referendum to protest against Chirac and Raffarin. I'm very disappointed, now.
Posts: 28 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

- posted      Profile for Choobak   Email Choobak         Edit/Delete Post 
me too...
Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dh
Member # 6929

I suppose all three of you voted "oui".
Posts: 609 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
I very much doubt Lille Mu did, considering she's from Norway. (Or was it Sweden?)
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Oh, also, its not like there's anything unusual about an EU treaty being hard to read; the Constitution was far more readable than the others, and they've been approved in processes that include referenda in various countries.

Do you have any particularly good reason people should vote no on the treaty, dh?

dh
Member # 6929

Did I say that I did? Did I even indicate any preference or opinion either way?
fugu13
Member # 2859

I think you may have in other threads, I certainly suspect it from the tone of your latest question.

And if you don't have such a preference/opinion, you could always answer "no" to my question [Razz]

dh
Member # 6929

I certainly don't recall ever expressing an opinion on the subject, and there was certainly nothing implied either way in my last question. I think you just suffer from Hatracker's Syndrome, which makes you want to turn everything into an argument.

I will leave your question unanswered.

fugu13
Member # 2859

You're asking others for their opinions, one might think it polite to offer your own. And yes, the way you phrased the last question is commonly used to imply a particular position on an issue.
dh
Member # 6929

You're imagining things.

I did not ask anymone for their opinions, I was deducing how they voted from observing what they posted. One could say that I was stating the obvious. I didn't ask anyone to elaborate, or to explain why they voted one way or the other. You have to learn the difference between observing and arguing.

I wasn't stating a position, or even hinting that I might have one. I was observing theirs. Learn the difference. Not everything is an argument, even on a forum. It am not required to offer my opinion on anything in any case. Nor am I required to even have one. Last I checked, it was not obligatory to be violently opinionated about everything.

Above all, I find it exceedingly annoying when people assign me an opinion when they can't find anyone else to argue with.

Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to admit, dh, you're being much more confrontational than fugu...who is not, in fact, being argumentative and confrontational at all.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
dh, you started a thread on the EU const., why are you so touchy?
quote:
You have to learn the difference between observing and arguing.
And you could learn the difference between a polite rebuff and ranting.
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Ooo, cute. The Hatrack Mafia has decided to go on one its lynchings again.

Ignore 'em, dh. Any response to their charges 'll just be used as an excuse for more rock-throwing nonsense.

[ June 01, 2005, 07:14 AM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
there is a Hatrack mafia? why am I not part of it?
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
I call casting the first stone.
Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Ignore 'em, dh.
Usually I do. Usually I just don't say anything and leave the discussion, but sometimes the annoyance is just too much for me.

Fugu is one of the prime offenders, but by no means is he the only one who tries to degenerate every thread and discussion into an "I'm right you're wrong" rock-throwing contest. This is one of the reasons I'm wasting less and less of my time on Hatrack. I haven't seen a good, actual discussion here in ages. (Some) people desperately want to divide into two opposing sides and duke it out, and (as we see here) feel as if a divine right to perpetual arguing were somehow being infringed when not everyone bows to their wishes.

Petty is much too kind a word.

Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Why bother starting a thread on the subject if you don't want to express an opinion, or don't have one? [Confused]
quote:
Do you have any particularly good reason people should vote no on the treaty, dh?
How is this question offensive or petty?
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lille Mu
Member # 7115

- posted      Profile for Lille Mu   Email Lille Mu         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh !!!
Who has said that I'm from Norway ????
I'm fond of Norway and want to go there (that's explain my scandinavian-like name) but I'm french (if I were norwegian I would write better english! And I wouldn't be for EU...)and I voted "oui" 'cause I'm stupid enough to believe in EU.
Sorry to disappoint King of men not to be a norwegian...

Posts: 28 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Wow. I've never seen someone degenerate from aloofness to self-vicitimation. I disagree with Fugu frequently, and I daresay he most often comes out on top, and I don't decide to declare myself the injured martyr.

Get some thicker skin, and quit your whining. There wasn't anything remotely offensive, petty, or overly argumentative here-well, until I posted this anyway:)

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay a smiley face! Everything is ok!
Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Isn't it though, jebus! Your sarcasm is endlessly refreshing and varying!

[Smile]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.