FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Why the Creation? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Why the Creation?
Geekazoid99
Member # 8254

- posted      Profile for Geekazoid99   Email Geekazoid99         Edit/Delete Post 
That's the question
Why would God decide to create the Earth and the universe?

Then if the bible is right and did stay more connected with them back in those times then now. Why does he now ignore us completly and ultimitly?

As of this moment i have no oppinion so i want to hear others so i can decide

(i'm going on a philisophical question rampage [Evil Laugh] prepare for your mind to be blown away with questions)

Posts: 250 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Umm, because he can't stand it when we spell things incorrectly?

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
He did it to blow. Your. Mind.
Seriously. Trippy.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
I think He did it because He knew it would be Good... and it is.
Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty
Member # 8855

- posted      Profile for smitty   Email smitty         Edit/Delete Post 
Because he feels like it. Do you honestly think you could understand how a deity thinks and/or feels?
Posts: 880 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think He did it because He knew it would be Good... and it is.
Except for the part that's not.
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
I was going to post "He was bored" but I like Tom's answer better. [ROFL]

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Einstien
Member # 9128

- posted      Profile for Einstien           Edit/Delete Post 
Because he/she/it/ thinks its funny when we screw up.
Posts: 21 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

quote:
Because he feels like it. Do you honestly think you could understand how a deity thinks and/or feels?
Apparantly, you do.
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
It was a science project. He had to create a universe in 7 days. Unfortunately, he only got a C+.
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty
Member # 8855

Ummm, no, I don't. That's the point. But, since it's a higher power, I assume if it did something, it did it on purpose.
Posts: 880 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Einstien
Member # 9128

C+ more like a D-
Posts: 21 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty
Member # 8855

wow, some major negativity here.
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Einstien:
C+ more like a D-

I'd say that he needs to get at least a B- for getting a working physics engine built into the creation. Granted, it's a little overly complicated and hard to understand at some points, but all in all it isn't bad for a rush job.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Except for the part that's not.
That's the part that makes it all so good, in a way that presumably heaven could not be.
Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Well...I can think of lots of reasons...Some might even be true.

- God couldn't help but create the world, or something very much like it. It's just God's nature to create.

- God needs us as much as we need God.

- God created it specifically so that YOU could ask your questions.

- God couldn't get a decent reuben in Heaven so needed to create a place with lots of delis. Or, the metaphorical equivalent thereof.

- God really didn't intend to create anything that day...In fact the creative act was merely the overly agressive clipping of a deitic toenail, the shards of which went in myriad directions and here we are. As God was about to sweep the whole thing under the rug, God looked and saw...it was good! Or, it was the maids day off and the next Thursday when she came in and asked "Hey God, whaddya want I should do with this Universe you left lying around?" God told her to leave it for later.

As for the the stuff about God ignoring the world in recent times, something strikes me that given the power of God's word (God spoke and the universe was created, afterall), it's possible that we should be happy about God being terse and a little bit distant of late. [Angst]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Einstien
Member # 9128

Ok i was harsh, but no higher. it didnt turn out very well even for a rush job, his creactions detroy each other way too frequently for a higher grade.
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

quote:
That's the part that makes it all so good, in a way that presumably heaven could not be.
Umm I think there's a lot of unfortunate people out there who would be a little peeved that all their suffering exists so you can appreciate the difference between heaven and earth.
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I'm gonna answer like a good Reformer and say:

For His own glory.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
Or a good Mormon:

To bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man.

In other words, He built a school for His children.

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Because it's so cool! The universe was made to be a fabulous toy and playground filled with wonder and keen delight as a present for you. That's right. Just for you.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

Was the world built for man, or man for the world?

I'm kind of partial to Danial Quinn's take on this in Ishmael, though I disagree on some of his reasoning.

ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Einstien:
Ok i was harsh, but no higher. it didnt turn out very well even for a rush job, his creactions detroy each other way too frequently for a higher grade.

How do you know that's not intended behavior. Or for that matter, are you really that confident in your ability to set the success criteria for something as immense as creation.

None of us really knows more than a nearly infinitesimaly small portion of what is going on at this very moment, much less in the eons that have passed.

Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
He's creative?
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Belle:
quote:

I'm gonna answer like a good Reformer and say:

For His own glory.

Really? Seems an odd thing for an omnipotent god to do. Kind of like someone having kids to prove themselves adult, or, more to the point, the child who cries "Look at me, I can hop!"
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

- posted      Profile for Reticulum           Edit/Delete Post 
So he could have cheese. Someone had to invent it you know. [Smile]
Posts: 2121 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
It's just His answer to the "What would you do for a Klondike bar" question.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Lu yedativ, yehuyiv.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geekazoid99
Member # 8254

- posted      Profile for Geekazoid99   Email Geekazoid99         Edit/Delete Post 
Rivka please give a better tranliteration of the hebrew for the class so evryone can understand
Posts: 250 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
So, my explanation for the creation of the world was actually from a story. I can't remember what story it was at all, but I do remember that God created the earth as a science project. In the story (if I remember correctly) he got a C+. Sorry if I offended anyone here.
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
Twenty-nine posts he got out and responded zero. I am waiting for you to philosophically rampage my mind.

When is s/he going to start rampaging my mind,
I asked myself.

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
You could go to Kansas and ask a science teacher.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
Does the answer have to necessarily respond to the Islam-Judeo-Christian perspective of creation?

I'm taking a Philosophy of Religion class right now and we're working on cosmology and the nature of God so I have answers/scenarios, but they're all answers to more scholarly depictions of the divine rather than modern mainstream Christianity.

[ January 31, 2006, 05:55 PM: Message edited by: Shanna ]

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Father Time
Member # 7985

- posted      Profile for Father Time   Email Father Time         Edit/Delete Post 
"Then if the bible is right and did stay more connected with them back in those times then now. Why does he now ignore us completly and ultimitly?"

Who said He does?

Posts: 56 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geekazoid99
Member # 8254

So you want more Philishophically mindboggeling questions

Ok

What is the point of life
What makes Humanity so much better that animals
Why do we always think that the world was created for us
why do we need to pray to God
why don't any miricles happen any more
Why do the good live bad lives and the bad live good lives
Why do we buy thing from commercials that make not a single bit of sence
Why don't scientist write a version of the bible in a scientific sence (red sea split=typhoon)
Where did THE STORY begin
Why doesn't God just smite the wicked ones right off the earth
Why is there Entropy
Why do we believe ther must be an end to it all
What happenes after death
why do we have to die
Why is there life are we in a big picture heading for a united cause sometime in the future or are we here just to have fun
Why is money considered the most valuble thing
Why are we so selfish
Is there a point to life

Has your mind blown up yet if so please bash your head against a wall [Wall Bash] [Wall Bash]

I give permission for anybody to make a thread on anyone of these questions as long as i get recognition

MAY THE BRAIN POPING BEGIN
POP
POP
POP
POP
POP

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Brain Poping? Egad. My brain is non-denominational.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
They'd be more mindboggling if they were original questions instead of the old tired ones.

Or here's a high-stepping idea! Look smart by offering some arguments and proofs instead of questions.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geekazoid99
Member # 8254

i Would but i need someone else to start the arguement and i can't do arguments typing

i think too much faster than i type

rivka
Member # 4859

Nothing was wrong with my transliteration. As for translation, that was indeed conspicuously absent.

I was (and continue to be) in an obscure mood. [Razz]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
rivka, is that even Hebrew? Are you sure your transliteration is correct? *can't figure out what it means*
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
*snicker*
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

No, it's Aramaic.

I did say I was being obscure. [Wink]

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
My brain barely bishoped, let alone poped.

What is the point of life: I answer this in the last sentence, go check there.

What makes Humanity so much better that animals: Computers.

Why do we always think that the world was created for us. I reject your premise. I don't think this at all.

why do we need to pray to God. Who else should we pray to?

why don't any miricles happen any more. They do, they just have a different spelling nowadays.

Why do the good live bad lives and the bad live good lives. Que? Yo no comprendo.

Why do we buy thing from commercials that make not a single bit of sence. Do you do that? Even after recognizing that you are doing it?

Why don't scientist write a version of the bible in a scientific sence (red sea split=typhoon). What would be the point? It'd be mostly guesswork. At best it'd be some interesting speculation. At worst, it'd have to be a thinly disguised attempt to undermine people's faith. Of course, since scientists can ALSO have faith, and some of them are faithful Jews or Christians, they might not see the latter as a valuable goal. I think you are operating under an invalid premise, unless your question was merely posed as idle curiosity.

Where did THE STORY begin. Well, if you read it...it begins at the beginning.

Why doesn't God just smite the wicked ones right off the earth? Maybe for no other reason than to give them ALL a chance to change.

Why is there Entropy. Maybe God doesn't really care that much about organization.

Why do we believe ther must be an end to it all. Well, that's not exactly a universal belief, but for those who do believe in an "end of days" there are myriad reasons for it. Ultimately, it comes down to some sort of conviction that God meant for the world/universe to have limits and that eternity is longer than the span of anything with a physical existence.

What happenes after death. I assume you mean what happens to each of us after we die. No-one really knows, but a lot of people claim to have knowledge about it. It depends on what level of faith you are prepared to bring to accepting whichever answer you settle on. In short, every person who ponders this one is free to arrive at their own prefered answer, and to believe that answer with their own strength of conviction. If you like, you can join a church and learn their answer to the question, and then you can at least have the comfort of knowing that others believe the same thing you do. I, personally, have a very strong conviction that every one of us will be delightfully suprised by how wrong we ALL were.

why do we have to die. Because we aren't smart enough to live forever...yet.

Why is there life are we in a big picture heading for a united cause sometime in the future or are we here just to have fun. Why are those the only alternatives? Maybe there's a big picture and we're heading toward pluralism...Maybe there are many small pictures. Maybe it's all fun whether or not we have a BIG purpose or not. Maybe fun is a subjective thing and so my idea of fun and yours are completely incompatible. This is just plain unanswerable.

Why is money considered the most valuble thing? It's not. Who told you it was? Did you have to believe them?

Why are we so selfish. You could just as easily ask why we aren't even MORE selfish. We are each as selfish as we each are. Selfish is as selfish does (to borrow from the wisdom of Forest Gump). I'm a lot less selfish today than I was 10 years ago.

Is there a point to life. I answered this up with your first question. Go check there.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

- posted      Profile for Advent 115   Email Advent 115         Edit/Delete Post 
I say that if he exists, he just got board and didn't have a TV or the internet so he created something for him to watch. And after getting tired of directing our planet just sat back and is watching the chaos. [Evil]

[ February 01, 2006, 12:12 AM: Message edited by: Advent 115 ]

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Bob_Scopatz:
why don't any miricles happen any more. They do, they just have a different spelling nowadays.

[ROFL]
JennaDean
Member # 8816

Too far, Advent.
Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

- posted      Profile for Advent 115   Email Advent 115         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry. [Dont Know] [Frown]

But I do think that we may just be a form of entertainment for the enlightened one. If he or she exists.

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kitsune
Member # 8290

- posted      Profile for Kitsune   Email Kitsune         Edit/Delete Post 
Bob_Scopatz, you have such patience.

And not to mention tolerance.

[Smile]

Posts: 147 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

It wasn't the "entertainment" part that went too far; it was the second part.

Which you have deleted, thank you. [Smile]

KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kitsune:
Bob_Scopatz, you have such patience.

And not to mention tolerance.

[Smile]

And as long as we're not mentioning things, I'll add "a beautiful mind", "a clever wit", and "an admirable skill with the English Language". [Smile]
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.