FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Sleep?

Author Topic: Sleep?
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
How do people fall asleep, anyway? Is there a gradual build up of "sleep points" and when you cross the barrior, you fall asleep? Or is it a random chance at any moment, with an increased chance when you're lying down?

--> questions from an insomniac

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
It depends on which RPG you're playing.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamson
Member # 7808

- posted      Profile for Hamson   Email Hamson         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure, but I'm also very interested in an answer if anyone has it.
Posts: 879 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish I could...
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, if anyone has any pointers, please let me know. It takes me at least (and I really mean at least, meaning it usually takes me much longer) 2 hours to get to sleep. It's horrible.
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luet13
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for Luet13   Email Luet13         Edit/Delete Post 
As a tried and true insomniac, there are a couple of ways I've found to fall asleep.

One is to do math in my head. I try to do a budget, rent, food, transportation, miscellaneous, fun, etc. I've found that this will knock me out in about 10-15 minutes flat.

The other sure fire way to fall asleep is to do so much during the day that there is no way you could stay up a second longer. Physical activity is always great, but I also get tired if I read a book for 3 hours straight.

Good luck and good night. [Smile]

Posts: 511 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
The only way I've found to reliably get to sleep earlier is to force myself to get up a lot earlier than necessary. I've had absolutely no luck trying to manage things from the falling asleep side. Controlling when I wake up is a little easier, but not by much.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I never have trouble falling asleep. Except tonight. It's 3 am and I am totally keyed up. I don't get it. What's different?

I wonder if the 90 degree temperatures and lack of air conditioning are contributing to the problem. But I always feel that in the heat, I sleep uncomfortably. Tonight, sleep eludes.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raventh1
Member # 3750

- posted      Profile for raventh1           Edit/Delete Post 
Currently, I pop in a dvd of Farscape, and watch another episode. When the episode is over I either watch another one, or I turn everything off and go to sleep. (Good night, I'm popping in a dvd [Wink] )
Posts: 1132 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to try putting an icepack on my head and going back to bed.

If you don't hear from me, then, well, there's your cure for insomnia right there!

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I pretty much just daydream until I fall asleep. Like I try to set my mind in "dream mode." So I daydream, usually about comforting, calming things, like cuddling with my boyfriend.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissande
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Lissande   Email Lissande         Edit/Delete Post 
Who needs sleep? Well, you're never going to get it.
Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
My friend says he trains his brain to realize when it's time to "really sleep now". He doesn't read in bed or do anything else in bed for that matter. Once he's in bed, he falls asleep.

As for me, I either put some white noise on or listen to ambient soundscapes until it starts keeping me from falling asleep because I'm paying attention to it.

Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
A key factor is to avoid thinking "I need to sleep, I need to sleep". I just try and make my mind go blank, let it wander where it will. If I dwell on the fact that I can't sleep, or if I keep looking at the clock, I end up staying up longer.
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

The icepack worked! I guess I was just too hot to sleep. You know how it is -- your pillow is too hot, the other side of the pillow is too hot, the fan is stirring, but the air that it is stirring is too hot, you are sticky with perspiration. I plunked an icepack on my head and fell asleep within about 10 minutes.

But by that time, around 4 am, it was too late to get a good night's sleep. My alarm clock goes off at 5:30. Tonight I'm bringing the icepack to bed much earlier.

Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
Ouch, why up so early Tante?
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
What's this "sleep" thing y'all are talking about?
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Even with the A/C last night I had to have a fan blowing on me to get to sleep. I think our A/C isn't as efficent as it used to be...

Anyway, even more than heat, what keeps me awake is having a restless mind. When I'm thinking of something interesting, especially something creative, it can keep me awake for hours, then wake me back up in the middle of the night to think some more.

Pix

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

- posted      Profile for cheiros do ender   Email cheiros do ender         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if this has already been said, but after ~17 hours awake the brain starts to reorient itself from handling daytime activities to handling sleeptime activities (i.e dreams)

Badly worded, but I need sleep.

Goodnight.

Posts: 1138 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
*echos Nighthawk*
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not asking "How do you fall asleep when you have insomnia?" If I was, my post would have something like: "I'm having trouble falling asleep...give me advice."

I'm asking how do people fall asleep. What is the "falling asleep" process made of?

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
For me, the falling asleep process is made of equal parts beer and whiskey. Well, not anymore actually. But for about 2 years there was no sleep unless preempted by booze. That is probably not the best way to go about it though. I think they have a word for it, and people go to classes or something? I'm not sure.

Or

Sleep is what happens when your brain's temp folder fills up. Then you have to sleep in order to transfer what has been saved to the hard drive and delete the rest. If you can't sleep, it's because you haven't accumulated enough data yet.

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It depends on which RPG you're playing.
Heh, I was about to say that when you go into an inn, night falls, and you just have to hop into the bed and you automatically sleep.
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by Javert:
Ouch, why up so early Tante?

Life.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.