FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Tintin: The Movie

Author Topic: Tintin: The Movie
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Well according to the magazine "Animation" that I am currently electronically editing Steven Spielberg and Peter Jackson are BOTH going to take turns directing installments of Tintin' adventures. Its all going to be filmed using stop-motion camera work. Its also planned as a trilogy, whatever that means.

I am a fan of both Tintin and stop motion animation, but I wonder if the Tintin world would look right in stop motion. Stop motion works great in a world that is for the most part comical and fun. Tintin although fun at times seems like its a bit more edgy and dramatic for stop motion to work right.

But I dunno maybe I am selling stop motion short in spite of myself.

edit: Also I really enjoy both directors, but I wonder if Tintin might work better as a live action movie.

edited for the correct spelling of Tintin.

[ June 25, 2007, 04:16 PM: Message edited by: BlackBlade ]

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
...Rin Tin Tin?
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm actually happy that they've found the happy medium between animation and live action- live caputure animation (isn't it? Not stop motion). Tintin is fundamentally animated but like you said, it's too edgey and dramatic for straight animation.

I think you are mistaken about the stop motion.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luet13
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for Luet13   Email Luet13         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think Tintin would work in a live action format. I'm definitely interested to see how the finished product turns out because I'm a huge Tintin fan.
Posts: 511 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, me too. [Smile]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
Did anybody watch the animated tv series? It wasn't bad, though the "human voiced" dog got annoying.
Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 9506

- posted      Profile for 777           Edit/Delete Post 
I remember watching that when I was about four or five years old.

All I remember is that I really liked it, and that it was really good.

Posts: 292 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krynn
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for krynn   Email krynn         Edit/Delete Post 
i had a few of the books, and watched the show on HBO when it aired. i really enjoyed the books. stop animation doesnt seem to fit the art style IMO. the way the animated it seemed to fit the original artwork very well i thought.
Posts: 813 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snail
Member # 9958

- posted      Profile for Snail   Email Snail         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know... The idea of a Hollywood action-animation Tintin fills me with cold sweat.

Granted, it's better than the idea of an artsy yet cheap French Hollywood action-animation wannabe Tintin, and it's not likely to be as horrid as the live action Asterix-films they did, but it still sounds pretty abysmal.

I mean, the 70's animation movies had Herge involved in the production, yet they still turned out as turds. And neither Spielberg's or Jackson's styles are very Tintin, though perhaps we ought to be grateful that Spielberg didn't hand the project over to some of his less imaginative cronies, such as Ron Howard or Chris Columbus.

Maybe if they'd have Jean-Pierre Jeunet to direct the third... He's the only guy out there right now I feel actually could do justice to Tintin.

Posts: 247 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
The magazine article definitely said, "Stop-motion." But hey, errors in periodicals are certainly common. I trust the BBC more then I do Animation magazine.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
Snail, did you see the animated Asterix that came out a year and a half ago?
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
it's too edgey and dramatic for straight animation.
Why is it too edgy and dramatic for straight animation?

I'm inclined to think straight animation is actually more effective for certain sorts of drama and "edgy-ness" than other mediums, because it is less confined than live action.

Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snail
Member # 9958

- posted      Profile for Snail   Email Snail         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen the newest one (Asterix and the Vikings). I have seen the 80's and 90's animated movies done by the same inter-European team (I think there are at least four of them) and I think they are okay. Not as good as the books, but not bad either. So I'd expect the new one to be something like that as well.

There are several older Asterix films too, from the 60's and the 70's. Now, the 60's ones are truly dated technically, but Douze travaux d'Astérix (released in 1976) is truly a spectacular film. It has a completely new story, it's written and directed by Goscinny and Uderzo themselves, and the storyline features a Roman tax office which makes everybody who enters there crazy. Really, it's one of the best animation films of all ages.

(Hmm. Could be you knew all this, of course. But for those who didn't know. [Wink] )

Posts: 247 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JLM
Member # 7800

- posted      Profile for JLM           Edit/Delete Post 
I only hope they set the stories in the right time period instead of trying to bring Tintin to modern times. I think basing the movie off of "The Seven Crystal Balls" and "Prisoners of the Sun" would be best.
Posts: 157 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
I miss the Asterix films .. .
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RunningBear
Member # 8477

- posted      Profile for RunningBear           Edit/Delete Post 
What is Tintin?
Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
*seconds RunningBear*
I don't know either.

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Adventures_of_Tintin

Enjoy.

If you can find the comic books I am sure your enjoyment would be increased.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.