FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A question about my song of ice and fire thread! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: A question about my song of ice and fire thread!
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
So, I haven't been back in that thread for quite some time as I noticed spoilers starting to pop up and decided it would be too dangerous to keep opening the thread.

I'm through the first two books of the series, and just wanted to check with people who are posting in there whether I should go back there until I've finished the first 4 books. I imagine this is the case, but just wanted to check.

I'm loving the books so far!

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Emreecheek
Member # 12082

- posted      Profile for Emreecheek           Edit/Delete Post 
Don't. Read. Anything!

Except for the books in question.

And things that presumably don't have anything that could possibly ever ever *ever* have any tantalizing detail about what happens in parts you haven't read.

Posts: 196 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Emreecheek
Member # 12082

- posted      Profile for Emreecheek           Edit/Delete Post 
I think that street signs are safe.
Posts: 196 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

I think this is payback for all the contributions I've made to thread derailments over the years. I can't open my own thread! [Smile]
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
Yea, it's a safe bet that if you want those books to surprise you, to stay away from any discussions about GRRM or aSoIaF.

And trust me, there are a lot of surprises coming your way...like when Ned returns from the dead as a dragon...I mean...um...nothing. [Big Grin]

Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wingracer
Member # 12293

- posted      Profile for Wingracer           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Stone_Wolf_:

And trust me, there are a lot of surprises coming your way...like when Ned returns from the dead as a dragon...I mean...um...nothing. [Big Grin]

Only to be slain again by Viserys' golden tongue [Big Grin]
Posts: 891 | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

I'm 2/3rds of the way through Storm of Swords now. And all I have to say is F*@K this book!

Okay, not really, but man am I pissed right now.

Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

GRRM is not nice to his characters or readers. It would be easier if he wasn't such a good writer.
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Strider:
I'm 2/3rds of the way through Storm of Swords now. And all I have to say is F*@K this book!

Okay, not really, but man am I pissed right now.

Yeah. I actually threw the book across the room when I got to the bit you just got to. It's the only time I've ever done that.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

I'm listening to the audiobook, and I was in my car, and I started banging my fists on the steering wheel! Thank god I was less than a minute away from home, or I might not have been able to drive.

When I got home I told my housemate, "If I was reading a physical book, I would've ripped in two, thrown it across the room, and then stomped on it".

kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the club.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
When I finished that chapter, I had to go sit in the bathroom, because I thought I was going to throw up. Just out of utter shock. I've never had such a visceral reaction to fiction before.
Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
I see you got to one of the best parts in Storm of Swords. And most infuriating. [Smile]

I remember saying a few curse words when I read that part. My wife asked me what was wrong and I think I said something to the effect of "I hope GRRM dies in a fire." Then I realized that he wouldn't be able to finish the series, and cursed again.

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

For years I've been told to read this series. Now I realize it wasn't because people cared about my enjoyment, but only so I could share in their pain and misery. Evil bastards.
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
That's why we all pass it on it to others. Your turn, go get someone.
Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
It was the first time I have ever personally thrown a book.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sean Monahan:
Your turn, go get someone.

I'm on to you people.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

I am reasonably sure that it is the most often thrown book ever published. Even more than Vilette.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
When I got to that part, I became extremely nauseous.

A book has never made me sick with dread before.

Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wingracer
Member # 12293

quote:
Originally posted by T:man:
When I got to that part, I became extremely nauseous.

A book has never made me sick with dread before.

Somewhat similar to my reaction. I wasn't nauseous but I did just set the book aside, softly mutter an expletive beginning with F and stare out the window for a while. I felt defeated and deflated. Amazing what a physical as well as emotional impact it can have.
Posts: 891 | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, there's always the one:

I, quite literally, went "This. Is. BAD***!" and tore into the next chapter. It was the same near the end of the first book - when Joffrey made his decision, I went "Oh no you did not!" and dug into the fallout.

The only book I've ever thrown was HP and the Deathly Hallows, because of the epilogue. It was heavy, and I was tired and annoyed, and it felt good.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, I was so surprised and horrified and that was just reading it, not hearing an audio version. I think the response would be even better in an audiobook, and it's interesting to me because I was just now listening to a section of 'The Yellow Admiral' by Patrick O'brian, and there was a scene in which one character describes prize fighting at length to another. I was interested, but I could tell I enjoyed it more than I would've reading it because of the enjoyable narration.

I realized that about mundane bit of disposition. I imagine if I were listening to *that* scene...whew!

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

I'm glad I wasn't alone. I was really uneasy during the chapters leading up to it too. I've learned in this series that whenever I think something is going to work out well, or that I know how things will go, it NEVER goes that way.

But it was worse than I thought, and I was way more affected by it than I thought I would be. I laid awake last night thinking about it. And I don't even normally tend to get that invested in characters.

Strider
Member # 1807

Rakeesh, the guy who reads the book isn't fantastic, but yes, it does make scenes like that feel more visceral.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I spent most of the book trying to figure out who the protagonist was. I finally decided that I had figured it out, and *BAM*.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Strider:
For years I've been told to read this series. Now I realize it wasn't because people cared about my enjoyment, but only so I could share in their pain and misery. Evil bastards.

I told my 73 year old grandmother to read the books. She is a huge fan of Sci-Fi / Fantasy so I figured she would love them. Last night I was answering a few questions for her about the first two books and she mentioned where she was in the third. I smiled at her and said "Keep reading, it just gets better!"

I woke up this morning to a text she sent at 2am. It read "I hate you" [Smile]

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

I was skeptical of Strider's conclusion, until I read about how you burned your gramma! Man, we are evil bastards!
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jake
Member # 206

- posted      Profile for Jake           Edit/Delete Post 
Geraine, that's really cool.

quote:
Originally posted by Rakeesh:
I was skeptical of Strider's conclusion, until I read about how you burned your gramma! Man, we are evil bastards!

:: laugh ::
Posts: 1087 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ambyr
Member # 7616

- posted      Profile for ambyr           Edit/Delete Post 
My dad called me the other week and said he'd been seeing all these rave reviews of A Dance with Dragons and was starting to think he might want to read it.

"Do you think I could just pick it up and start there? Would it make sense?"

". . . NO."

"Well, I don't want to read thousands of pages to get to it!"

I think he will not be reading the series.

Posts: 650 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm 350 pages into Dance and im tense and anxious. No other series puts me on edge like this one.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

Just finished Feast, holy crap.

Moving on...

Dogbreath
Member # 11879

- posted      Profile for Dogbreath           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
I'm 350 pages into Dance and im tense and anxious. No other series puts me on edge like this one.

Keep reading, it just gets better!
Posts: 2222 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

- posted      Profile for Dogbreath           Edit/Delete Post 
BTW, it's been like a week since you updated The Westeros Files. Are you still doing it?
Posts: 2222 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Yep, there will be an update later today actually. I spent the last week moving across the country, so it slowed down both my reading, and a lack of internet access slowed down my posting.

I haven't lost track of it though (like I did with Feast!), it shall return soon!

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Just put up two posts with a third to follow shortly. That brings me up to date with where I am in the novel. Hope you all enjoy my musings.
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I feel better now. I packed up all four with a 1/3 left to go in the last one and threw them in the donation bag this morning.

Now, I'm trying to decide if I rummage in the damn bag to find the book and finish the stupid thing.

I don't like the man, and I don't like his writing style, either -- but, I want to know how the stupid story ends.

[Mad]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jake
Member # 206

- posted      Profile for Jake           Edit/Delete Post 
How would you characterize the style, Shan? What don't you like about it (the writing style, not the plot)? There are things that chafe in it, for me, but nothing that rises to the level of dislike.
Posts: 1087 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

Well, let's see . . . in many ways it feels disjointed. It does not seem to flow well, and the connection between chapters, plot lines, and characters often seems thin -- not like a severely stretched rubberband, but with the feel of tossing a safety rope out and hoping it gets caught. I don't know if that makes sense.

I don't know that he ever really decided on a main character, or perhaps he's trying to make them all main characters -- it feels like a connection is finally being made with one or two characters and then boom! off and away with some other character . . . sometimes with really lengthy stretches between the chapters which makes it hard to pick the thread of that character up again . . . which irritates me.

It just seems undisciplined, not well edited, and still in the early stages of writing where all the ideas come pouring out -- good, bad, indifferent. It's like he did not spend time actually doing the slog work of writing -- getting rid of the superfluous and focusing the story in a way that made sense.

I don't know. *shrug* And all that being said, I just want to see how he ties it all up, but it sounds like he has more coming. *sigh*

It's all Facebook's fault for posting a link via their TORN (LoTR) page to this new series with Sean Bean. Grrr! I have avoided these books for years. Caught! Hook, line and sinker.

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Why don't you like the man?
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I don't know that he ever really decided on a main character...
Ah! I remember having this conversation with you, and being deeply confused by your need to have a single main character. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

Most of Shan's criticisms are precisely the reasons why I'm getting so much enjoyment out of the books!
kmbboots
Member # 8576

quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
quote:
I don't know that he ever really decided on a main character...
Ah! I remember having this conversation with you, and being deeply confused by your need to have a single main character. [Smile]
I can understand that. I like to identify with the protagonist - I need [i]someone[i]to root for to be emotionally engaged - and it can be jarring to "switch loyalties" all the time.
Shan
Member # 4550

Not to mention schizophrenic. *grin*
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I need [i]someone[i]to root for to be emotionally engaged
I don't know, I root for most of the main characters in ASOIAF. Several being on opposite sides of a war doesn't matter too much to me.

For instance, it would be very interesting to me to read a book about World War II, with the chapters equally split between (for example) an American paratrooper, a British fighter pilot, a Russian tanker, a German submariner, a Japanese battleship gunner, and an Italian civilian.

They'd be on different sides of a war, perhaps even in the same battles, but they could all be "good guys", with families and loved ones and hopes and dreams, etc.

You know, like real life?

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wingracer
Member # 12293

quote:
Originally posted by Xavier:
quote:
I need [i]someone[i]to root for to be emotionally engaged
I don't know, I root for most of the main characters in ASOIAF. Several being on opposite sides of a war doesn't matter too much to me.

For instance, it would be very interesting to me to read a book about World War II, with the chapters equally split between (for example) an American paratrooper, a British fighter pilot, a Russian tanker, a German submariner, a Japanese battleship gunner, and an Italian civilian.

They'd be on different sides of a war, perhaps even in the same battles, but they could all be "good guys", with families and loved ones and hopes and dreams, etc.

You know, like real life?

Have you ever read Neal Stephenson's Cryptonomicon? It's a bit as you described. I think you would enjoy it.
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen it often when browsing the SF/Fantasy section of Barnes and Noble. I'll consider your recommendation next time I see it [Smile] .
Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Hey, no humanizing of Nazis! If we can't hate them, who can we hate? [Wink]
Wingracer
Member # 12293

I think you would dig it, I sure did. It's sort of two different stories at two different times that come together in the end.

One story takes place during WWII. It focuses on several characters, mainly a US Marine, A US crypto-analyst, and a Japanese Army Lieutenant but we also get bits from a German sub captain, British intelligence officers and I think even Himmler makes an appearance.

The second story is present day and also focuses on several characters, many of whom are descendents of the WWII characters. In the end it all comes together to form one story, 50 years in the making.

Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

quote:
Originally posted by Xavier:

This pretty well describes Harry Turtledove's Timeline 191.

But don't read it.

T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
Rickon is obviously the protagonist. Duh.

(Oh god, he dies doesn't he? Only 600 pages into dance D:)

Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.