FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The man code (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The man code
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry. The devil made me do it.
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
The descriptions do fit every single beer commercial ever produced. I noticed that.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Baldar
Member # 2861

- posted      Profile for Baldar           Edit/Delete Post 
Only after posting Karl.
Posts: 6449 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Rule # ... :You don't have femal friends, you have options.

Hobbes

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JohnKeats
Member # 1261

- posted      Profile for JohnKeats           Edit/Delete Post 
katharina:

That post was meant to follow my own post, not Baldar's, so I wasn't responding to his shower scenario.

My apologies if it seemed that way.

But since I've been asked....

*evil grin*

...no, I just can't. Besides, I don't even have a sister. And if I did, their respective ages would lead me to say no, regardless of any gender confusions.

Posts: 4350 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Rule #....: When setting friends up on blind dates, never use the phrase "good personality"

Hobbes

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Rule #....: Girls have lifelong friends, guys have "buddies"

Hobbes

Hobbes
Member # 433

Rule #....: To use the word "Intimate", you must be either very drunk or the only guy in the room.

[EDIT: Even guys have to use grammer ]

Hobbes

[This message has been edited by Hobbes (edited October 14, 2002).]

Hobbes
Member # 433

Rule #....: There is no such thing as a "Manley slap".

Hobbes

Hobbes
Member # 433

Rule #...: The only literature you can discuss must have the phrase "Sports Illustrated" somewhere in the title.

[EDIT: Also, you can't use the word "Literature". Woops, guess I'm not a guy anymore ]

Hobbes

[This message has been edited by Hobbes (edited October 14, 2002).]

luthe
Member # 1601

- posted      Profile for luthe   Email luthe         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that it is quite a strech to call sports illustrated literature. It is like saying Sports Center is A classic.
Posts: 1458 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

But this is (and I quote) "The Man Code". So I will now define literature within the bounds of the man code: anything that involves words in any way, example: "The TV guide is a great piece of literature."

Hobbes

Hobbes
Member # 433

*Bump*

This thread was just too funny for the small number of posts it got

Hobbes

David Bowles
Member # 1021

- posted      Profile for David Bowles   Email David Bowles         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh. I can't believe I missed this the first time. Heh.
Posts: 5663 | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

I hope you've followed all of the rules David.

Hobbes

David Bowles
Member # 1021

- posted      Profile for David Bowles   Email David Bowles         Edit/Delete Post 
No: I like being married, Hobbes! ::sighs:: But there was a time, my young friend...
Posts: 5663 | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie
Member # 4043

- posted      Profile for Pixie   Email Pixie         Edit/Delete Post 
"You don't have female friends, you have options." LOL. Hmm... I'll have to talk to a few of my guyfriends 'bout that one.

[This message has been edited by Pixie (edited October 28, 2002).]

Posts: 1548 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
I've always wondered why guys expess "job well done" by slapping one another on the butt or socking an arm?

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

This is for you, Dove

Rule #...: Touching another guy is OK, but only to congratulate them.

Hobbes

BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Rule #..... Wearing Speedos is ok if you are a swimmer or a water polo player but NOT a diver.

(Some of the biggest ugliest brutes that ever tried to tear my swimsuit off were water polo players)

Rule #.... It is ok to kick a guy in the balls if you are female and playing water polo and being held by the X in the back of your swimsuit suit by one of the aforementioned ugly brutes to keep you from scoring because otherwise you would be better than they were and that was threatening to their masculinity.

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

- posted      Profile for The Silverblue Sun   Email The Silverblue Sun         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone have a picture of Baldar?

I sure would like to take a look at this man.

<T>

Posts: 2752 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maethoriell
Member # 3805

- posted      Profile for Maethoriell   Email Maethoriell         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Rule #...: Touching another guy is OK, but only to congratulate them.

You forgot to add.." but once is just enough.."

Posts: 4628 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Rule #...: Not drinking beer at a party is not an offense, unless it happens twice in a row.

Hobbes

Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess everyone's done with the old argument, but I just came upon this thread now...

JK, since this list is meant as a parody, I would interpret that as an implication that the behaviors described there are largely not ok. That we make fun of stereotypical caveman behavior means that we're not locked into that definition of masculinity.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

I feel that way Icarus, but it is surprisingly well followed at my high school

Hobbes

Icarus
Member # 3162

<--- wonders if he should be ashamed of his tighty whiteys
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Not in the least, so long us you don't show us them!

Hobbes

Icarus
Member # 3162

What if I keep the streaks facing inside?

Maethoriell
Member # 3805

- posted      Profile for Maethoriell   Email Maethoriell         Edit/Delete Post 
LOL
Posts: 4628 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Rule #...:Icarus shall not show Hatrack his underwear, even if the streaks are facing inwards!

Hobbes

Maethoriell
Member # 3805

..and the wormholes are visible...
Hobbes
Member # 433

*bump*

Hobbes [Smile]

Icarus
Member # 3162

Great . . . I had forgotten about this.

[Roll Eyes]

[Wink]

Youth ap Orem
Member # 5582

- posted      Profile for Youth ap Orem   Email Youth ap Orem         Edit/Delete Post 
With sisters, apparently...
Posts: 290 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Youth ap Orem
Member # 5582

- posted      Profile for Youth ap Orem   Email Youth ap Orem         Edit/Delete Post 
oops, theres a page 2. that last comment goes to the last post on page 1.
Posts: 290 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
A little Classic Hatrack...

I thought this thread seemed promising, and I just have to take the opportunity to annoy all the people who passed on this years ago. [Big Grin]

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
narrativium
Member # 3230

- posted      Profile for narrativium           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. I never expected to see Baldar's name on the front page again.
Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
Aah, the good old days.

More random bumps!

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
This makes me think of those "Man Law" commercials that Miller Lite has been doing lately with Burt Reynolds and Jerome Bettis.

"I propose a 'you poke it you own it' man law."

Burt Reynolds cracks me up.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IanO
Member # 186

- posted      Profile for IanO   Email IanO         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. Wave of nostalgia suddenly hit me. Where I was when I posted in this thread, what I was doing, all the old hatrackers, etc.

cool

Posts: 1346 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Me too, Ian. Holy cow.

*sniff* I miss Hobbes.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I know this probably pegs me as a homophobic, misogynistic neanderthal, but I loved these.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by El JT de Spang:
I know this probably pegs me as a homophobic, misogynistic neanderthal, but I loved these.

*grunts in general agreement*
Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
When this thread was started I had just moved to Melbourne from Sydney to take on the job that I'm finally leaving this week.

Wow.

Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
When this thread started I was not here.

I was instead in highschool wasting my life as a depressed teenager. I think I would have appreciated it just as much at the time as now though, maybe more.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swampjedi
Member # 7374

- posted      Profile for Swampjedi   Email Swampjedi         Edit/Delete Post 
Good ol' Baldar. Hatrack and especially Ornery just aren't the same without him. [Wink]
Posts: 1069 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.