FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Descolada Theory: How we treat newbies (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Descolada Theory: How we treat newbies
Temari
Member # 6708

- posted      Profile for Temari   Email Temari         Edit/Delete Post 
Please don't castrate me. [Big Grin]

If you pet me and feed me food I promise I'll behave. [Wink]

Posts: 6 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you had your shots? We don't keep nOObs that don't haev their shots yet...unless they are in the "carries money on them" group, of course... [Big Grin]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Temari
Member # 6708

- posted      Profile for Temari   Email Temari         Edit/Delete Post 
Money? What's that? [Razz]

Needles are scary! [Angst]

Posts: 6 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
*mumbles*

bloody hell, nary an intellect in the buildin'

*grunts and groans*

fallow

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Bend over, it won't hurt a bit...
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow a year ago at this time I had mono. Yeah that's about right mathematically. I don't ever want to get it again though!

(I have a friend who is actually a research subject with doctors all over him because he's gotten it 7 times and doesn't get immunity though he has no other autoimmune disorders)

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
less than two months ago I had mono, I guess it's still in my system, but not too bad right now. There is no way I want to get it again, twice would be miserable seven times would be evil.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Morbo. (I also had the "yay, Morbo! crap, that was a year ago" reaction). Newbies, and oldbies, get what they give.

Though I was such a weirdo. I didn't check in on any of the threads for newbies when I was a newbie. I don't think I was overly rude most of the time. I'm one of those people who gets in trouble the second they start to do something bad. Like the time I went to 7 11 for lunch in high school and everyone got busted by the cops and I had to do in school suspension. Or the time I started posting as the grinch and it wasn't even December.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Annie - I'll never be able to hear the phrase "gilded lily" the same way again. [Razz]

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Another public service from The Bump on the Log.

This thread was getting near drop-off point!

Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Erik, I'm honored, but I don't know that it was really worth the effort of bumping. It was pretty much a footnote at the time it started.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
I had fun with it! It really got going after it derailed!
Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
Great, I'm the Descolada. Here I was thinking I was something altogether less sinister. But of course, I understand that newbies can be awful scary. Lurking around the corner, listening to your conversations when you don't even know they're there, and then before you know it, pow! They start talking. "Who the devil is that?" Oh, don't mind me. I'm just the stranger who happened to wander into your living room and join your conversation uninvited. If you promise not to castrate me, I promise not to kill you off one by one until there's only a single poster to fill each ecological niche. [Evil]
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
:mournfully: There used to be someone around here to eat the stray n00bs. . .
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
the fun thing is, us newbies (like the descolada) can completly change the tone of the message board forever

ha ha ha

Believe me, I have seen it done in the past elsewhere...and seen the oldies of a message board whine that things are not the same...and then flee to a new board only to have the same thing happen again and again. [Smile]

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I just realized to my horror that Telperion the Silver has been landmark avoiding and all the newbies I have squished this week might have been him. Gives a whole new meaning to "That which you do to the least of these, you have done it unto me."
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
:mournfully: There used to be someone around here to eat the stray n00bs. . .

*pats Scott*

I know, dude. I thought the same thing last night.

Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Great minds think alike...and we do too!
20X6
Member # 6447

- posted      Profile for 20X6   Email 20X6         Edit/Delete Post 
So if we're the descolada then do we help keep hatrack habitable by controlling global warming or help cooldown/heat-up things when necessary, or something like that? [Confused]
Posts: 32 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So, to be more appropriate to the debates we have had, I propose that a better title for this thread would be The Descolada Theory: How we teat rude newbies.
You nailed it, Icky man. (Though I realize now that you said it a year ago, long before my time.)

There are so many people on Hatrack, it is easy not to get noticed and easy to ignore. As for me, there are plenty of people I don't "know" yet. I read their posts, but their name doesn't really stand out in my mind. Not until something happens that makes them memorable to me.

I think that happens for me with newbies. How do you know if someone will stick around or not, be a solid part of Hatrack? I remember coming back to Hatrack after a hiatus and finding a newbie here, Space Opera, who seemed to be fitting in just like she had always been here. I felt sad that I had missed her "birth" into Hatrack. The things she had to say impressed me, so she really stood out in my mind.

People who come on and are obnoxious might stick out in my mind also, but not in a good way. I like to think that I try to give people the benefit of the doubt though.

Edit: I am snickering right now because I just barely noticed Icarus' typo. *snicker*

[ July 18, 2004, 02:37 AM: Message edited by: beverly ]

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

BTW, Bev...that is a hell of a post count for a semi-nOOb... [Big Grin]

less that 6 months and over 1300 posts? Damn... [Big Grin]

20X6
Member # 6447

- posted      Profile for 20X6   Email 20X6         Edit/Delete Post 
1300 posts?
*holds hands up to mouth to create more sound*
NERD

[ July 21, 2004, 02:08 AM: Message edited by: 20X6 ]

Posts: 32 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

(the Koi pond) [Kiss] fallow (with breadcrumbed lips)
Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Gumby
Member # 6303

- posted      Profile for Mr.Gumby   Email Mr.Gumby         Edit/Delete Post 
I know a girl named Koi(pronouced like 'guy'), it means "pinky" in Thai. (she was the youngest in her family)
Posts: 312 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

*coughs with embarassment*

Mr. Gumby, are you capable of stretching?

fallow

Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And my masculinity called into question by Slash.
Mine too!
....wait a minute...

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Bev: *snicker*
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

- posted      Profile for J T Stryker   Email J T Stryker         Edit/Delete Post 
Slash never called my masculinity in to question either, nor did he eat me, man, now I feel left out.
Posts: 1094 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
20X6, I don't know if you said that in Strong Bad's voice, but that is how I heard it. [Big Grin]
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
How do I treat newbies?

With a topical anti-bacterial agent, lots of rest and fluids.

Some hot Chicken Soup doesn't hurt.

With good luck they clear up in a few days.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.