FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Born before 1985? Then get your dentures. We are now very OLD. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Born before 1985? Then get your dentures. We are now very OLD.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Marth, Of the 20 questions I posted, only one is from a TV show and that one was PBS.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
1. Who was Mr. Hooper? The grocer on Sesame Street
2. When was John Lennon Shot? Nineteen Eighty-Something (early 80s)
3. What was check point charlie? The checkpoint through the Berlin Wall
4. Why was it hard to recognize "charlie"? He spoke to the angels through a speaker. Unless this is connected to the previous question, in which case I have no idea.
5. What happened to John Hinkley? He went to prison for shooting Reagen
6. Who was the lead singer for the Police? Sting
7. Who is Eric Heiden? Olympic skater. (Racing, not figureskating)
8. What was the MX missile controversy? Something about where they should/shouldn’t be based.
9. What was Mikhail Gorbachev's distinguishing feature? A red, blotchy birthmark
10. What was the big deal about the 1992 Olympic Dream Team? It was made up of pro basketball players
11. What were SALT and START? Disarmnement treaties
12. How many medals did the US win in the 1980 Summer Olympics? None
13. What was the Peacock Throne? The Shah-ship of Iran
14. During the summer of 1979, why did it matter if you had an odd or an even license plate number? I haven’t a clue.
15. Who did Nastassja Kinski pose with in her most famous picture? A snake
16. What was Ronald Reagan’s key campaign promise in 1980? Not to bargain with terrorists.
17. What cabinet level department was started by Jimmy Carter? Education
18. Who was “the world’s most eligible bachelor”? Prince Charles. Or the guy Cary Grant played in An Affair to Remember
19. Who ran against Reagan in his second election? Mondale
20. What happened to Challenger? Exploded on takeoff [Frown]

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unohoo
Member # 5490

- posted      Profile for unohoo   Email unohoo         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a couple of my answers added to katharina's list:

1. Who was Mr. Hooper? - teacher of Head of the Class?
2. When was John Lennon Shot? 1981
3. What was check point charlie? the passing point through the Berlin wall
4. Why was it hard to recognize "charlie"? many of the vietnamese soldiers didn't have uniforms or dressed to look like the regular farmers (and probably were)
5. What happened to John Hinkley? He's in jail for shooting Reagan.
6. Who was the lead singer for the Police? Sting
7. Who is Eric Heiden? Olympic Speed Skating Champ
8. What was the MX missile controversy?
9. What was Mikhail Gorbachev's distinguishing feature? the birthmark on his forehead
10. What was the big deal about the 1992 Olympic Dream Team? first B-ball team made of professionals
11. What were SALT and START? disarmament treaties
12. How many medals did the US win in the 1980 Summer Olympics? zero - we boycotted because it was in Moscow
13. What was the Peacock Throne? Shah of Iran
14. During the summer of 1979, why did it matter if you had an odd or an even license plate number? It determined what day you were allowed to buy gas.
15. Who did Nastassja Kinski pose with in her most famous picture?
16. What was Ronald Reagan’s key campaign promise in 1980? You will be better off in four years by me cutting taxes.
17. What cabinet level department was started by Jimmy Carter? Education.
18. Who was “the world’s most eligible bachelor”? JFK, Jr.
19. Who ran against Reagan in his second election? Walter Mondale
20. What happened to Challenger? Blew up on takeoff.

Posts: 168 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
****SPOILERS FOR QUESTIONS*****

Story: The head of one of the divisions of my dad's company is an engineer from Vietnam. When he came to America, he chose an American name to go by. He picked Charlie - because it was easy to remember and definitely cut a lot of comments at the time (twenty years ago) off at the knees. [Smile]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
dkw: I give you 15/20 (with a bit of partial credit).
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

unohoo, 13/20. The three you added to Kat's are all correct but Kat's still have several errors.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

Hint: John Hinkley never went to jail.
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
How embarassing for me. Of course, my story means I should have known the answer to "What is 'charlie'?"

---

Oh, that's right. He's in Broadmoor (close enough), isn't he? I remember the controversey when they thought he might get out. Sondheim put him in a musical.

[ September 02, 2003, 11:53 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
The Natasha Kinski one is with a snake. I remember that one even from being a kid. [Smile]
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I know, Icarus. Dinosaurs walked the earth when I was young. [Big Grin]

And Ela - I knew I wasn't alone around here.

When I was born, there were only 48 states. No one had ever been into space. Dwight Eisenhower was President. "The Wizard of Oz" had never been on television. Telephone numbers didn't have a prefix, they had an exchange - ours was FIreside 6 (you dialed the first two letters and the number, then the rest of the phone number). You not only couldn't curse on television, you couldn't even say the word "pregnant".

Ain't it cool? [Cool]

Oh, and the questions:

John Lennon was killed in December of 1980 (on the 8th of the month, I think, but I'm not sure). Horrible, horrible day.

John Hinkley was found not guilty by reason of insanity after shooting Reagan, and put in a mental institution. He said he did it because he was trying to impress Jodie Foster. [Dont Know] Just heard on the radio today that he's trying to get unsupervised overnight visits with his parents.

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"Help me, I've fallen and I can't get up!"
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That takes me back...to the commercial AND Urkel.

[ROFL]

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
Some of the stuff in the first list offends me until I realize how clueless some people in my generation are. What did bother me was Reagan, Tianamen Square, PacMan/Pong, answering machine, cloth diaper, Iran hostages. But it is true that Michael Jackson has always been white.
Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
Rabbit, I disagree with your quiz and the scoring. It is more of a test of trivia knowledge than age. I am one of the oldest people on this forum, and while I am familiar with the subjects of many of your questions, I would not know the answers to many without first looking them up.

Example: I know who Mr. Hooper is.
I don't remember the exact year that John Lennon was shot without looking it up, though I do remember the event.

Considering my age relative to the rest of you "youngsters" [Wink] , I should make a 20, but I wouldn't. [Razz]

**Ela**

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
Mr. Hooper was huge. Sesame Street was still good after he died, but it was never the same.

His departure was, I think, a profound moment for many young children. It made death real for us, because Mr. Hooper was so real.

UofUlawguy

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

Ela, I thought I acknowledged in my scoring system that thsi was as much a test of memory as of age, but I don't think it is a test of trivia. The questions on my list are regarding things that were significant during the late seventies and early eighties when I came of age. They were not trivia, they were the headline new items.

The possible exception is the year John Lennon died. I remember it clearly because he was shot during finals week of my first quarter at the University. Because the two events are connected in my memory, it is easy for me to figure out that he was shot in Dec. of 1980.

Professor Funk
Member # 5608

- posted      Profile for Professor Funk   Email Professor Funk         Edit/Delete Post 
Disclaimer: I answered these before I read anyone else's answers.

1. Who was Mr. Hooper? The grocery man on Sesame Street

2. When was John Lennon Shot? 1980

3. What was check point charlie?

4. Why was it hard to recognize "charlie"? They didn't wear military uniforms, they might have been ordinary peasants.

5. What happened to John Hinkley? I think they named a high school after him.

6. Who was the lead singer for the Police? Sting. He also played bass.

7. Who is Eric Heiden?

8. What was the MX missile controversy?

9. What was Mikhail Gorbachev's distinguishing feature? A big red birthmark on his head

10. What was the big deal about the 1992 Olympic Dream Team? They were professionals

11. What were SALT and START?

12. How many medals did the US win in the 1980 Summer Olympics? None - we boycotted because of the Russian invasion of Afghanistan

13. What was the Peacock Throne?

14. During the summer of 1979, why did it matter if you had an odd or an even license plate number? I think they divided up gas rationing that way.

15. Who did Nastassja Kinski pose with in her most famous picture?

16. What was Ronald Reagan’s key campaign promise in 1980?

17. What cabinet level department was started by Jimmy Carter?

18. Who was “the world’s most eligible bachelor”?

19. Who ran against Reagan in his second election? George McGovern? Or was it Mondale?

20. What happened to Challenger? It exploded after take-off. Darn O-rings.

I guess I did tolerably well for being born in 81.

[ September 03, 2003, 01:27 PM: Message edited by: Professor Funk ]

Posts: 99 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Rabbit, maybe I am just uninformed, but I am sure I am older than you, and I have no idea who Nastassja Kinski is. [Razz]

**Ela**

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
Odouls, I don't know where you found that list, but it is NOT the list Beloit realeased for the class of 2007. The real list is here.
Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Why was it hard to recognize Charlie? Because he only spoke to the Angels over a speaker phone. They never got to see his face.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sweet William
Member # 5212

- posted      Profile for Sweet William           Edit/Delete Post 
Pong was in an episode of The Simpsons:

Everyone whose planet has mastered interplanetary travel please raise your hand

I played Pong at this pizza place by my junior high. None of my friends could go there because the place had pool tables. [Eek!]

Kristen shot J.R., BTW. I could never figure out how this balding old man with a drinking problem could cheat on his wife with sooooooo many willing women.

Posts: 524 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
I did find a variation of this list on AOL today. Since I don't fully agree with the list already posted (and apparently, other posters are saying nearly the same thing) lets see how this list fares.

Sept. 3) -- Most students entering college this fall were born in 1985. To them:

1. Ricky Nelson, Richard Burton, Samantha Smith, Laura Ashley, Orson Welles, Karen Ann Quinlin, Benigno Aquino, and the U.S. Football League have always been dead.

2. They are not familiar with the source of that ``Giant Sucking Sound.''

3. Iraq has always been a problem.

4. ``Ctrl Alt Del'' is as basic as ``ABC.''
//Gosh, I wish adults would catch on to this. Its so annoying telling them to hit C A D and getting a response of "What would that do." Course, those same people don't realize you need a phone line connected to your computer to get on the internet.

5. Paul Newman has always made salad dressing.

6. Pete Rose has always been a gambler.

7. Bert and Ernie are old enough to be their parents.

8. An automatic is a weapon, not a transmission.

9. Russian leaders have always looked like leaders everyplace else.

10. The snail darter has never been endangered.

11. There has always been a screening test for AIDS.

12. Gas has always been unleaded.

13. They never heard Howard Cosell call a game on ABC.

14. The United States has always had a poet laureate.

15. Garrison Keillor has always been live on public radio, and Lawrence Welk has always been dead on public television.

16. Their families drove SUVs without ``being fuelish.''

17. There has always been some association between fried eggs and your brain.

18. They would never leave their calling card on someone's desk.

19. They have never been able to find the ``return'' key.

20. Computers have always fit in their backpacks.

21. Datsuns have never been made.

22. They have never gotten excited over a telegram, a long distance call or a fax.

23. The Osmonds are just talk show hosts.

24. College athletes have always been a part of the NBA and NFL draft.

25. They have always ``grazed'' for food.

26. Three-point shots from ``downtown'' have always been a part of basketball.

27. Test tube babies are now having their own babies.

28. Stores have always had scanners at the checkout.

29. The Army has always driven Humvees.

30. Adam and PC Junior computers had vanished from the market before this generation went online.

31. The Statue of Liberty has always had a gleaming torch.

32. They have always had a pin number.

33. Banana Republic has always been a store, not a puppet government in Latin America.

34. Car detailing has always been available.

35. Directory assistance has never been free.

36. The Jaycees have always welcomed women as members.

37. There has always been Lean Cuisine.

38. They have always been able to fly Virgin Atlantic.

39. There have never been dress codes in restaurants.

40. Doctors have always had to deal with ``reasonable and customary fees'' and patients have always had controls placed on the number of days they could stay in a hospital.

41. They have always been able to make photocopies at home.

42. Michael Eisner has always been in charge of Disney.

43. They have always been able to make phone calls from planes.

44. Yuppies are almost as old as hippies.

45. Rupert Murdoch has always been an American citizen.

46. Strawberry Fields has always been in New York.

47. Rock 'n' roll has always been a force for social good.

48. Killer bees have always been swarming in the United States.

49. They have never seen a first lady in a fur coat.

50. Don Imus has always been offending someone in his national audience.

In all fairness it should be understood that students entering college this fall do have a few items on their own lists that will separate them from many of their mentors:

1. For many of them today, it's all about the ``bling, bling.''

2. They know who the ``Heroes in a half shell'' are.

3. Peeps are not a candy, they are your friends.

4. They have been ``dissing'' and ``burning'' things all their lives.

5. They can expect to get a ticket for ``ricing out their wheels.''

6. They knew how to pop a Popple and trade a Pog.

7. They can still sing the rap chorus to the ``Fresh Prince of Bel-Air'' and the theme song from ``Duck Tales.''

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
7. They can still sing the rap chorus to the ``Fresh Prince of Bel-Air'' and the theme song from ``Duck Tales.''
Yeah? Well, I can sing the theme song from "Green Acres". So there. [Razz] [Taunt]
Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
That would be the real list I just posted a link to. I like it much better. The first one must be a fake! [No No]

[ September 04, 2003, 01:58 AM: Message edited by: Jeni ]

Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Hehe... oops.

::mental note: be more smarter:: [Wink]

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
The statement "You sound like a broken record" means nothing to them. (They have never owned a record player.)

Not quite, a turntable&records are now a musical instrument

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unohoo
Member # 5490

- posted      Profile for unohoo   Email unohoo         Edit/Delete Post 
The Rabbit, the reason I got this one wrong
quote:
1. Who was Mr. Hooper?
is because I'm too old to have watched Sesame Street. [Razz] (assuming that the others have answered this one correctly)

I listened to Gunsmoke on the radio. [Big Grin]

Posts: 168 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.