FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What about statistics movies? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: What about statistics movies?
Koga
Member # 5646

- posted      Profile for Koga   Email Koga         Edit/Delete Post 
X-MEN The X in X-men represents the unkown genetic differance that leads to a mutant ability. I think they called it the X-gene because the form of the mutation is not always the same.

So x represents an unkown, and they are studying Physics when Login walks into the Professor's office, there is tons of math in Physics.

Posts: 733 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Real Genius, how could I forget?
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
The Dish might be a possibility. It's still on my "rent at some point" list, though, so I can't say for sure. It seems like it would fit though.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Don't you agree that justifying The Princess Bride would be a real coup, Noemon?

There's
1. The parabolics of juggling
2. Logic
3. Geography (which uses math and geometry, i.e., why land wars in Asia are not so good)
4. Biochemical kinetics (the rate of absorption of the poision)

I'm sure we could come up with more.

Hey,
5. Counting the seconds to avoid the marsh gas flames. Counting is math.
6. Inigo counts on his fingers to subtract 10 from 30
7. The physics of rolling down a hill
(What's The Dish?)

[ September 16, 2003, 10:10 AM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zip
Member # 4710

- posted      Profile for zip   Email zip         Edit/Delete Post 
Fast, Cheap and Out of Control might be a good one. Its kind of a documentary about chaos and complexity and also a pretty good movie.
Posts: 24 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Any Golf-related movie with the appropriate rating. They have to do math to add up the score.
I'm not sure about the ratings but I'm guessing that Caddyshack would be ok, plus you could do geometry calculations with the gopher holes.
Or
Happy Gillmore
Caddyshack Two
Tin Cup probably wouldn't be entertaining enough but the end is classic.

Haven't checked the ratings though.

Maybe, Real Genius with the young Val Kilmer.
And what about the action movie set in Russia where he "discovers cold fusion"? Was it "The Saint"?

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

The original Disney "The absent minded Professor" not the remake.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

- posted      Profile for jehovoid   Email jehovoid         Edit/Delete Post 
Caddyshack would unfortunately not be okay to show in school.

Also in the Princess Bride there's the game of wits between Fezini and Wesley.

Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Actually, The Princess Bride was the first thing I thought of when I read the question, and I was busily trying to justify it until I read your post. Absolutely, show The Princess Bride! It's perfect!

The Dish is about the role that a team of Australian technicians played the broadcast of the Apollo moon landing. It's supposed to be a pretty engaging comedy/drama, but like I said I haven't seen it, so I can't personally vouch for it.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
hansenj, was it Stand and Deliver?

That's the movie I thought of, anyway.

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

[ROFL]
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I loved Searching for Bobby Fischer.
I LOVE that movie. I'm not-so-secretly in love with Josh Waitzkin.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaureenJanay
Member # 2935

- posted      Profile for MaureenJanay   Email MaureenJanay         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh, Mathnet question:

Am I remembering incorrectly, or was the female mathmetician played by the woman who plays Captain Janeway on Voyager?

edit: Whoa nevermind. The answer to this is NO.

[ September 16, 2003, 11:26 AM: Message edited by: MaureenJanay ]

Posts: 264 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
Princess Bride gets my vote.

Hobbes get's a kick in the shins.

Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
PSI, no, but she is the voice of Xraxys on the animated Star Trek series, Star Trek Away Team.

http://kcleap.freeservers.com/beverly.jpg

I think that is the woman you are talking about.

[ September 16, 2003, 11:28 AM: Message edited by: Kayla ]

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, wait! Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead would work, and they probably haven't already seen it.
Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

There is scene in a math class in Better Off Dead.
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
Although The Sting is one of the most entertaining movies ever made, I don't think it would be appropriate to show in class. Maybe if you fast-forwarded through the burlesque show scene, but even then there are some spots that could make parents and school boards uncomfortable. The kids would love it, but your job isn't in their hands.

UofUlawguy

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
*Kicks Celia's shins*

What?

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
Let me say that "The Dish" would be perfect for a high school class. It has the science/math connection, is an entertaining film, and unless I'm misremembering, doesn't have anything in it that could be seen as objectionable. Oh, and it has Sam Neill in it, which is as good a reason to watching a film as any I can think of. (Although, Icarus, I don't expect that aspect to mean anything to you. [Wink] )

"IQ" and "Searching for Bobby Fisher" are also good choices.

And one other thing - "A Brief History of Time" wasn't entertaining, as opposed to just informative? Could've fooled me. Anyway, I was always under the impression that Stephen Hawking was quite the cultural icon.

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BookWyrm
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for BookWyrm   Email BookWyrm         Edit/Delete Post 
Storm Saxon hit one I thought of. Apollo 13. There was a lot of mathmatics in it from O2 consumptions to entry angles.... several points on mathmatical interests.

Space Camp too.

IIRC Ghost Busters? had some scientific/mathmatical components?

Space Cowboys.

House of Cards (1993) w/ Kathleen Turner, Tommy Lee Jones

Man Without a Face

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head.

Posts: 986 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pepperuda
Member # 1573

- posted      Profile for pepperuda   Email pepperuda         Edit/Delete Post 
I've shown both October Sky and Apollo 13 to my math students and they went over pretty well. I read them the Princess Bride for reading time, and most of them had(shockingly enough) never heard of it.

What about Back to the Future? Ok. It's a real stretch. UMMMM.. The older Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass, has a sequence where the queens are singing a song about numbers and Alice is frantically trying to keep track of the numbers as they sing... Ok. they probably wouldn't like the whole movie, but it might be a fun excerpt activity, and you could mention that Louis Carroll was also a mathematician.

What about Clockwatchers? I think that's what it's called. It's a more recent movie about the watches that make the person wearing it speed up.

Rocketman is hilarious and I believe the main character got involved because he figured out the math problem that was causing the flight leader or whoever to crash in the flight simulator.

Life is Beautiful is PG 13, but it has all those riddles. It has the benefit of being my favorite movie, but it didn't really go over well with the kids.

Posts: 240 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
There was a miniseries Alice in Wonderland that was based on Through the Looking Glass. That entire novel is based on a chessboard!!!!
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

pepper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Smile]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GradStudent
Member # 5088

- posted      Profile for GradStudent   Email GradStudent         Edit/Delete Post 
Breaking the Code

It's about how Alan Turing and company used math to break the German Engima code.

Does have a suicide at the end. And Turing is gay.

Posts: 134 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Turing machines... *something stirs in Katie's brain*
MaureenJanay
Member # 2935

- posted      Profile for MaureenJanay   Email MaureenJanay         Edit/Delete Post 
pepper, I think that movie is called "Timestoppers" or something like that. It didn't stick around in my brain too long really.
Posts: 264 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GradStudent
Member # 5088

- posted      Profile for GradStudent   Email GradStudent         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh! Oh! N is a Number

It's a documentary about Paul Erdos. It's past hilarious, the man was the stereotypical crazy scientist. Also, gives insight into how "real" math is being done.

It's not that long, and really inspiring.

Posts: 134 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
The original Matrix is rated R?

Why did my senior year Trig and PreCalc teacher show it to us, then!?!

(amazing movie, but so did not explain matrices to me at all!) [Wink]

I second K-Pax, as well. Great movie.

*think think*

Independence Day? computery-type stuff in that.

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you guys trying to remember The Girl, The Gold Watch, and Everything?
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, Kayla, that was it. [Embarrassed] oops!
Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
Mercury Rising?
A Beautiful Mind?

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
I vote for The Princess Bride! [Wink] It's the best! [Big Grin] And the book is good, too!
Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

Princess Bride... Greatest...movie...ever. [Smile]
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
A Beautifull Mind and The Matrix are good, too. [Wink]
Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

What about lemmings? [Razz]

Turn this into a fluff thread, why don't you?! [Grumble]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suntranafs
Member # 3318

- posted      Profile for suntranafs   Email suntranafs         Edit/Delete Post 
Darnit, all the good movies are rated R!

I s'pose yah might try pleasantville, Icarus. Or not. I donno.

Posts: 1103 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

quote:
I s'pose yah might try pleasantville, Icarus. Or not. I donno.
suntranafs, what about the bathtub scene?
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
<UNRELATED POST WARNING>

(sorry lcarus)

Is "Big" the movie where a little boy wishes to be big, and grows up the next day (into Tom Hanks)? I'm fairly sure, but I just want to know... I've only seen about half an hour of it.

T'ank you.

</unrelated post>

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

Yes, "Big" is the movie you're thinking of...
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
I've got to second "Rosencrantz and Gildenstern are Dead." Great movie. And clean, too.
Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

- posted      Profile for unicornwhisperer   Email unicornwhisperer         Edit/Delete Post 
Nevermind... I was going to suggest Stand and Deliver but then double checked the first post and well..... Nevermind. [Blushing]

[ September 16, 2003, 11:03 PM: Message edited by: unicornwhisperer ]

Posts: 1417 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
*Mild Spoiler for October Sky"

In October Sky, the main character had to use math (trig I think) to determine whether his rocket could have flown far enough to burn down a forest. If I have two votes (and I say I do), this movie also have my vote. [Smile]

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

October Sky is an awesome movie. It's one of my favorites. It's a science/math movie.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
October Sky is amazing! I can't believe I forgot to suggest that one.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric
Member # 4587

- posted      Profile for Godric   Email Godric         Edit/Delete Post 
K-Pax a great movie?! [Eek!]

My old high school math teacher played October Sky. Personally, I highly recommend The Dish, though. One of the few comedies I've ever given a 5 star rating to. It doesn't really get too technical mathematically, but it's a great feel-good demonstration of what can be done with math and it's highly entertaining and very well put together.

Posts: 1295 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Pleasantville?

Why?

(And no.)

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I asked my kids last night about the topic of this post, and they suggested (as a G movie that the school will allow) the video Masterminds
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

*thumbs up to October Sky*
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

Why didn't I think of this before?

RAIN MAN

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.