FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A religious question: Who are Charismatics? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: A religious question: Who are Charismatics?
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
<reeling, rolling>

I think I'm just going to open my heart and follow where it leads.

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Good plan. I tend to be wary with people who put more emphasis on the “gifts of the Spirit” – tongues, prophecy, healing, etc, than the “fruit of the Spirit” -- love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, generosity, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control (Gal 5:22). If the gifts don’t seem to be bearing the fruit, then I think it’s fair to question whether it’s really “of the Spirit.”

If this guy’s preaching is leading you to think deeply about your faith, great. If it’s bringing you closer to God, making you a stronger disciple of Christ, wonderful. Just remember that ultimately you are a follower of Jesus Christ, not of Jesse Duplantis. Listen for God’s voice yourself, don’t just take his word for it.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

Never was going to follow him, actually, he had just inspired a good feeling in me and stoked the furnace a bit.

There's one destination, but we've all got to find our own individual paths. Luckily, there's a good guidebook. [Smile]

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
What she said.
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

Yep, I do. [Smile]

[ October 09, 2003, 05:10 PM: Message edited by: Sopwith ]

Taberah
Member # 4014

- posted      Profile for Taberah           Edit/Delete Post 
No thread on Christianity would be complete without one of the Christians referring to C.S. Lewis. It's a Hatrack tradition, right?

Since no one has beat me to the punch, allow me to recommend C.S. Lewis as a good source of sober-minded thinking about Christianity. For the issues that this particular thread has been dealing with, his book Miracles may be a good reference.

Posts: 224 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

Mere Christianity is probably next on my reading list. I'll let you know on the Duplantis book... so far, it reads well.

And please excuse me, I read slowly. On purpose.

Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved C.S. Lewis' Mere Christianity, as well as most of his other non-fiction and religious fiction. The Problem of Pain was great, and I also enjoyed The Great Divorce, etc.

It is worth noting, however, that one of the ideas I came across in the Narnia Books led to the first crack in my somewhat structured view of How Things Work as far as religion goes.

I have said this before, and I know it's weird, but I'm not a church-goer anymore, largely BECAUSE of the influence of C.S. Lewis' writings.

In The Last Battle, this guy who followed a false god, but did so with a pure heart, ends up in 'heaven'. I thought about it a long time, and it finally made so much sense to me that I couldn't stand to be in a church that believed you have to do X Y and Z just like THIS to get into 'heaven' or to have a relationship with the 'real' god. Which was prettymuch all of them (except Unitarians, I think, and I'm not ready to go that far, either).

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaureenJanay
Member # 2935

- posted      Profile for MaureenJanay   Email MaureenJanay         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Could Satan offer healing on the physical level if he so chose and it served his purposes?
I don't think so, not an actual healing, anyway. The Bible says that God is the healer. But maybe he could be the one who makes you think you are sick in the first place? I KNOW that he can confuse a non-Christian so much that they will think pretty much anything he wants them to, i.e. I'm sick, I'm not sick.
Posts: 264 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

I'm pretty sure he works just as hard at confusing Christians. Just because I'm a Christian doesn't make me immune to temptation or treachery. It just makes me more aware of how thin the path can be at some times and how vast the possibilities are.
Jexxster
Member # 5293

- posted      Profile for Jexxster   Email Jexxster         Edit/Delete Post 
Not really important info, but in my time in Guatemala (where I first encountered Charismatics) it was a movement confined solely to the Catholic Church.

It surprised me to see that it wasn't exclusive.

Posts: 240 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
But the Catholic Church is the dominant denomination in Guatemala, so just about every movement you find there will consist primarily of Catholics, no?
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.