FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Your mission, should you choose to accept it... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Your mission, should you choose to accept it...
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
Mephisto--Klaus Mann
Steppenwolf--Hermann Hesse

Kappa--Ryunosuke Akutagawa
Masks--Fumiko Enchi
Runaway Horses--Yukio Mishima

Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Try to figure out what all the obscure classical references are from.
Good luck doing that without reading the "old and boring" stuff.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
I made a trip to the library this afternoon. [Big Grin]

Here's what I checked out to start:

The Hunchback of Notre Dame
The Agony and the Ecstasy
Pride and Prejudice
Through the Looking Glass and What Alice Found There

Thanks to all who helped out with suggestions, advice, etc.! [Smile]

I've got a complete list of the suggestions thus far going, so don't hesitate to keep giving me more ideas. It's a great list. [Smile]

Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
*holds up a big foam finger that says "The Agony and the Ecstasy" on it*

WOOHOO! You'll love it! [Big Grin]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
oooooh.... all very good books. [Smile]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Machievelli (I think I spelled it wrong)

Farmgril

I mentioned the Prince. Not sure about Machiavelli, that's a tough one, but you definitely spelled your name wrong. [Evil Laugh]

[ October 30, 2003, 12:30 AM: Message edited by: Morbo ]

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to make a couple comments about Machiavelli's "The Prince"

It and "The Art of War" by Sun Tzu should be mandatory reading.

What makes "The Prince" good to read is not only the classic political advice, and the allusions to it you will find almost every day.

If you read it at work, you will scare the daylights out of everyone. Your co-workers will start noticing you. Your boss will start worrying about you, and treating you better. Your underlings will be more respectful (if they can read and understand what you are reading). Respect and fear will flow your way, just because you are reading that book.

It is so fun.

The book is too short. You will be finished with it before its full effect works its way up the corporate ladder. I suggest placing it on your desk after you finish it, not so much for your reference, but as a reminder to others.

ONE WARNING: If you are in school, and your school has any "Zero Tolerance" rules, do not bring the book to school. If it doesn't get you automatically suspended, it will put you on the watch list, and get your locker searched routinely.

On a more serious note, read "The Prince" and then take a good look at Israel's policies toward Palestine. Among the advice that "The Prince" gives is, "To conquer a state, do not leave a force of armed men. Never will you hold that state. Instead, colonize that state. Send in craftsmen, merchants, and most importantly, farmers to hold the land and make the people one with your people."

Can you say "Settlements"?

Another, more famous bit of advice, "It is better for your people to fear you than to love you. Love can be fickle. Fear lasts longer." This defines Sharon's approach to negotiations with Palestine

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.