FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Your mission, should you choose to accept it... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Your mission, should you choose to accept it...
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, I have something to confess that I am pretty ashamed of. I'm a Humanities major with an emphasis in music (no, that's not the confession, silly! [Roll Eyes] ) and a French minor. I love all kinds of music and theater. I love reading. You would *think* I could be considered a pretty cultured person, right? Wrong! I have slowly come to the realization that am not cultured at all, and am in fact almost the opposite (there, I said it [Embarrassed] ); I just would like to think I am. As a college student, I am not completely ignorant, but I know that I have a long way to go.

This thread marks the beginning of my attempt to become a cultured individual. Among other things, one big project I am undertaking is trying to become "well-read". Here's where you all come in. [Smile] Having been here for over a year, I am highly aware that most people that post on this forum read a lot. [Wink] I also read a lot, but I get stuck on certain authors (*winkwink*).

So here is your mission: Tell me what to read. I want a large, diversified list, with books from every culture and genre. Anything that you personally would consider a "classic" or a book that any cultured person has (or should have) read. Assume that I haven't read anything. Chances are I haven't read any of them (hence the reason I am ashamed to post this [Embarrassed] ).

Have at me! [Big Grin]

Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saruman
Member # 2275

- posted      Profile for Saruman           Edit/Delete Post 
So the confession is the part about the French minor?
Posts: 651 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

[Razz] Saruman [Razz]
Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Read lots of stuff by Beckett.

Watch the Beckett on Film series.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saruman
Member # 2275

J'aurais honte aussi si tout le monde savait que j'ai parlé français.
Posts: 651 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Why do you want to be a "cultured person". To say that you are? To discover some of the glories that are out there? If it's just to be one, that doesn't matter. There's no point system for this kind of thing. If you're looking for some works of genius that might change your soul, though, here's a start. [Smile]

100 greatest films

100 greatest books

great works of art

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you read Candide by Voltaire? I consider that to be pretty cultured. But I'm studying it in High School... and if you're in University with a French minor... chances are you've already read it.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
Wait... are we talking real classics or English-teacher classics?
Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

Well, I guess mostly I want to become cultured for my own benefit. I am fascinated by the things that I have read, and I want to know more. I love to see the things other people and other cultures have created. They all teach me something new about myself. I feel like I have grown up kind of in a bubble (being in Provo doesn't help that much either, [Wink] ), and I want to be exposed to the great works there are in the world.

I definitely don't just want to in order to say I'm cultured, anyone can do that, and I think it's kind of snobby anyway.

There are a lot more reasons...I just have a hard time putting them into words.

hansenj
Member # 4034

Tresopax- real classics. [Smile]

Teshi- I've studied a little Voltaire, but not Candide in detail. I've most likely read passages from it, but I can't recall at the moment.

[ October 28, 2003, 06:56 PM: Message edited by: hansenj ]

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] That's fine, jennie.

I'd start with the list. Candide is great. Grave of the Fireflies - the movie being discussed on the other thread - is a heartbreaker and a must fo shizzle.

Memoirs of a Geisha
Beloved
The Hunchback of Notre Dame
That latest translation of Beowulf

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not clear what you're after, Jennie. Novels? Philosophy (religious/non?)? Nonfiction? All of the above?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

All of the above. [Big Grin]

Anything and everything. (But explanations would be useful if it's something you think I probably have never heard of.)

Edit: I mostly started this thread for book suggestions, but film or anything else is great too.

[ October 28, 2003, 07:06 PM: Message edited by: hansenj ]

rivka
Member # 4859

Ok, random suggestions, then. [Wink]

Laura Ingalls Wilder's Little House books. L.M. Montgomery's Anne of Green Gables series.

Um . . . drawing a blank. More later.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saruman
Member # 2275

If you were serious about reading Beowulf, you'd learn Old English and read the original.
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I recently read the Dao De Jing and the Zuangzi, and liked them a lot. You should read those.

(Checks out book list) Reminds me... I have to get my abridged Tale of Genji when I go back home...

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't care if it makes me sound stuck-up, I loved War and Peace when I read it. *Suggets War and Peace*

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm taking a class called Human Event. It's an honors college class, and the reading is full of "classic" literature. Lots of fun, actually. I've learned a lot. So...things we've read (we read only excerpts from some works):

Gilgamesh
Tao te Ching
Confucius
Code of Hammurabi
The Odyssey (translated by Lombardo -- very easy version to read)
Antigone
Lucretius (The Nature of Things, I think...)
Lots of Plato (Symposium and part of Republic)
Metamorphosis (by Ovid)
Politics (by Aristotle)
Beowulf
Bits of the Old and New Testament
Canterbury Tales
King Lear

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
Reading off of lists isn't bad. I read works from this list for my MA, and it was quite enjoyable because the works are somewhat subjectively chosen: World Literature List (PDF file).

But I think the best way to go about things is to let one work lead to another. For example: I just read Potok's _My Name is Asher Lev_ and _The Gift of Asher Lev_. Great novels -- I now see what all the fuss is about. In the second novel, Potok references Letters on Cezanne by Rilke. Rilke's _Sonnets to Orpheus_ is an amazing work -- one of my favorites of German lit. So I now have in my hands _Letters to Cezanne_ which I'll start reading tonight. Well that also got me thinking about aesthetics, so I also checked out a book titled _The Author, Art and the Market: Rereading the History of Aesthetics_. I know a little bit about aesthetic theory (my senior thesis focused on the 'sublime' {Kant etc.] and representations of the red rock areas of the Southwest [particularly the Grand Canyon]), but not a whole lot. This book appealed to me because doesn't focus as much on pure philosophy as on how views of aesthetics influenced artists and markets and vice versa, which is more up my alley. Now that I've read Potok, I've also become interested in 'writers of faith' so I'm going to try one of Flannery O'Connor's novels. I've read her short stories, but not any of her novels.

Also: I recently read Robin Hobb's _Liveship Traders_ and really enjoyed it, and now I'm thinking of seeking out another novel (fantasy or not) that focuses on seafaring folk.

Anyway, my point is that if you read books as part of a program, that can be frutiful, but even better, imo, is to develop threads of interest and inquiry.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
You should know some Homer if you don't already. The Iliad is actually not hard to read.

Other than that, I'm really a genre-whore myself. I think I may take some of these suggestions someday, having read almost everything the science fiction and fantasy genre's have to offer.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Some of my favorites:

Siddartha, by Herman Hesse
Foucaults Pendulum, by Umberto Eco
Where River's Change Direction, by Mark Spragg
Angle of Repose, by Wallace Stegner
The Brother's Karamazov, by Theador Dostoyevsky
Refuge, by Terry Tempest Williams
The Hundred Secret Senses, by Amy Tan
My Name Is Asher Lev, by Chaim Potok
A River Runs Through It, by Norman McClain
The Princess Bride, -- by William Goldman
Catch 22 -- by Joseph Heller
Heart of Darkness, by Joseph Conrad
The Making of the Atomic Bomb -- by Richard Rhodes

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megachirops
Member # 4325

- posted      Profile for Megachirops           Edit/Delete Post 
"non-genre literature" I have loved:

To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee
Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
Mama Day by Gloria Naylor
The Color Purple by Alice Walker
Canterbury Tales by Chaucer
(and then immediately after read Hyperion by Dan Simmons)
Any of Shakespeare's tragedies, but my favorite is Hamlet
Any of Shakespeare's comedies
Through the Looking Glass and What Alice FDound There by Lewis Carroll
Huckleberry Finn by Twain
Mark Twain's autobiography--either/both versions
Great Expectations by Dickens
Travels With Charley by Steinbeck
The Hero with a Thousand Faces by Joseph Campbell (nonfiction)
Against All Odds by Armando Valladares (nonfiction)
Moby Dick by Melville
The Scarlett Letter by Hawthorne

Posts: 1001 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megachirops
Member # 4325

- posted      Profile for Megachirops           Edit/Delete Post 
Some I missed:

Catch-22 by Heller
Anything by Vonnegut, but especially Slaughterhouse Five. If you prefer your absurdism not quite so depressing, then you might prefer Breakfast of Champions.
The Fountainhead by Rand. ::ducks:: No, I'm not an Objectivist or an Egoist, but I still think this novel is worth reading.

Posts: 1001 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!

Zalmoxis, that's really what I had in mind when I asked for suggestions. I'm making a list that is way too long to read all at once, but I'll pick one that sparks my interest and see where it leads me. If I get stuck, I'll pick another one and go from there. [Smile] I can't get at the list you posted though. I clicked on the link, and my computer opened it, but it won't let me click or right-click anywhere on the document or scroll down at all. (It actually won't even let me close the document at all.) [Confused]

Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
rivka, you're danged scary. I think I've found another twin. Jennie...what rivka said. Those are the books that are tattered and torn on my shelf, the ones I've read the most amount of times.

You just need to read Gone With the Wind. You just have to.

Nicholas Nickleby- Dickens. Brilliant writing, brilliant characters and sarcasm that would slay the most stalwart.

All the stuff by Francis Hogdson Burnett. Her writing is out of this world.

The Sea Wolf- Jack London

If you're majoring in humanities, you HAVE to read The Agony and the Ecstasy by Irving Stone. Being my twin, I think you'll really really love it. Also try Those Who Love by the same author.

E.E. Cummings poetry-phenomenal

I'm getting into good old poetry too-Milton, Keats, Tennyson...there's some others, I'll have to find them for you.

If you can find good translations of some Garcia Lorca or Octavio Paz...or if you can understand the original Spanish poetry, it's wonderful stuff.

I second Rabbit's vote for The Princess Bride. The writing is genius and so much fun.

Persuasion- Jane Austen

All of Louisa May Alcott's beginning short stories. These are the ones she wrote for the newspapers. They're cheesy as all get out, but really good stories. All of her novels are amazing as well.

The Screwtape Letters- CS Lewis

The Space Trilogy- CS Lewis. Really fun sci fi with religious allegory and fun thrown in. Brilliant writing.

I guess that's all for now. You can probably have tons of fun for months with the stuff listed on this thread.

katharina, thanks for posting that list. It's awesome!

[edit to take the 'e' out of Keats. I'm a moron!]

[ October 29, 2003, 12:20 AM: Message edited by: Narnia ]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

Just to give you an idea of what you are dealing with, I went through the list katharina posted, and I have read ten of the books on the list, and have read selections of about 19 more.

Of the ones listed thus far on this thread, I have read:

Almost all of the Little House books (Rivka and Narnia, I think I'll pick those up again, it's been a while [Smile] )
King Lear
Most ( [Embarrassed] ) of the Old and New Testaments
A River Runs Through It
The Princess Bride
To Kill a Mockingbird (though it's about time to pick it up again, great book.)
Great Expectations

(Not counting the ones I've only read selections from)

Pretty sad, eh? Keep 'em coming! [Smile]

Ryan Hart
Member # 5513

- posted      Profile for Ryan Hart           Edit/Delete Post 
Night- Elie Wiesel

Everyone should have to read that. The Haulocaust didn't happen, pah.

Posts: 650 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if my head'll explode if I suggest Atlas Shrugged and A Prayer For Owen Meany in the same post.

And don't forget the latest fad...Garcia Marquez's One Hundred Years of Solitude.

Also, The Right Stuff, Tom Wolfe's true story about the sound barrier and the space race.

I second Siddhartha and Catch-22, two of my all-time favorites.

And has anyone mentioned Heinlein? The Cat Who Walks Through Walls, Farnham's Freehold, or Time Enough For Love.

And throw some Kafka and Aristotle in there for good meesure.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

Did your head explode? [Wink]

I've actually read One Hundred Years of Solitude. [Big Grin] That was one of the few books I thoroughly enjoyed that we had to read for English class my junior year of high school.

Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm one of those strange people who enjoys reading the classics. I'll try to trim my list of ones I love to be just what I imagine you would like, Jennie. Not that I know you that well, but I'll do my best.

The Hunchback of Notre Dame (Victor Hugo) has already been suggested, but I'll second that. I read it in a few days—devoured it, more like—and loved every minute. It's deeper and darker than the movie by a long shot, but it also has some delightful humor and characterization.

Crime and Punishment (Fyodor Dostoevsky) is a beautiful book. I still want to read The Brothers Karamazov because of it. Be prepared for a bit of a love story between a crazy axe murderer and a prostitute, but also be prepared for a beautiful story of redemption and hope. Oh, and an intriguing, complex character in Raskolnikov.

I'd suggest reading one existential book. I found Kafka's The Metamorphosis depressing, but it's short. Besides, existentialism is supposed to be depressing. [Smile] Albert Camus's The Stranger is also depressing, but I enjoyed it much more. I don't know why.

Dickens is fun if not worldview-changing. You'll enjoy any of the books suggested on this thread.

Read Shakespeare. I have a complete Shakespeare with plentiful and helpful footnotes that I can lend you if you want it. Just give it back. [Smile] I love Shakespeare more than I love OSC. I seriously can't get enough. I especially love Hamlet, Othello, King Lear, and Macbeth of the tragedies and Much Ado About Nothing and Comedy of Errors of the comedies. I've heard that Twelfth Night is excellent too (comedy), but I haven't had a chance to read it yet.

Do read Pride and Prejudice, but not if you mind that it's word-for-word the same as the movie, almost. I'm not quite as thrilled about the rest of Jane Austen's works, to be honest.

If you're feeling brave, read John Donne's Holy Sonnets. I believe they are among the most beautiful, interesting poetry written in English. But they're tough. You'd have to read them several times to get all the layers. This isn't a classic, but I'll suggest it anyway. Margaret Edson's play, "W;t," is a great introduction to John Donne, and it's beautiful as well. You can read it in an hour or two.

If you want to hear some essential classics in music, the Mad About the Classics CDs have all kinds of musicy goodness on them. They're pretty cheap too, if I remember right.

[edit: Camus wrote The Stranger, not Sartre. Confusing my French existentialists again!]

[ October 28, 2003, 10:43 PM: Message edited by: Brinestone ]

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Read what you like. Then, when someone you're talking to hasn't read one of your favorite books, act amazed at their lack of erudition. Scoff at them even!

In this manner, you will eventually come to define "well read" and have fun doing it.

While you're waiting for this plan to succeed, may I recommend that you pick up every Victor Hugo book you can find.

And read also:
A Tale of Two Cities

That will give you enough literary quotes to throw around so that you can take on the trappings of conventional well-readedness while you wait for the world to adopt your own personal standard. And the books are fun too!

Good luck!

Oh, and read Hatrack a lot!

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Honestly Bob, I think that Hatrack is responsible for 40% of my culturedness...and 60% of my desire to be MORE cultured. [Smile]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
From an early childhood education standpoint, there are children's books that you simply must have (and read, and practice reading aloud):

Green Eggs and Ham, Dr. Seuss
Roxaboxen, Alice McLerran
Where the Wild Things Are, Maurice Sendak

From a "spiritual/seeking" standpoint:

The Seven Storey Mountain, Thomas Merton
Christy, Catherine Marshall

For the contemporary heck of it and because she's a good author:

Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series

Let's see, other titles off the top of my head:

The Handmaid's Tale
The Gate to Women's Country
The Politics of Breastfeeding (non-fiction and this is a tough one to get in the USA)

hmmmmm -

Yes, definitely read the Anne of Green Gables books, but then go get the videos and settle in with a comforter and popcorn - they're absolutely wonderful!

Did anyone mention Nietzche yet? Well, forget about him then . . . [Big Grin]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Gag on the Anne of Green Gables videos!! The first one is ok, but I absolutely despise the second one and all of the rest because they CHANGE THE STORY!! (Shan, I love you, I just happen to feel strongly about that particular subject. [Kiss] )

[ October 28, 2003, 11:19 PM: Message edited by: Narnia ]

hansenj
Member # 4034

Ruth,

I just finished reading Crime and Punishment a couple weeks ago. I loved it. It was actually my second time reading it, and I must say, I appreciated it a whole lot more this time. (Maybe that's because last time I was annoyed the entire time that I was being forced to read it when I was on vacation for Spring Break. [Wink] )

Anyway, sadly, I have never been able to get into Shakespeare. I have no idea why. I recently read King Lear, and I've read Macbeth and selections from Hamlet and Romeo and Juliet. I don't know what my problem is. Maybe I just need to read more of it. [Smile]

Shan, I'm with you on the Anne of Green Gables (I guess we aren't twins on this subject, Narnia [Cry] ) I love those movies! We were just watching them on Sunday night. [Big Grin]

Narnia
Member # 1071

But dear, have you read the books??? If I hadn't read all the books, I would probably love the movies too...and if I wasn't an obsessive compulsive freak about that kind of thing, I would have loved the movies. I still think Gilbert is hot. [Wink]

For good getting into Shakespeare fun, read Hamlet and Much Ado About Nothing. Those are two of the best and most fun in my opinion. Hamlet floors me every time I read it. I think you'll be hooked.

Don't worry, we're still twins. [Smile]

Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
I read the books - AFTER the movies and considered the books a real feat in determination.

I LOVE those movies (and Nathan likes them, too! I have sucha cool son!)

Hi Narnia - I'm weeping over my lost floor space. [Razz] (j/k)

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

[Taunt]
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm told Hugo reads much better in French than in English. I confess I've only read the English translation of Les Mis, but the pacing was terrible. It alternated between "I can't put this down!" to "Why don't I go drive nails into my eyes?"

I know these aren't classic classics, but they're all worth reading.
Check out Sophie's Choice by William Styron. Wonderful novel about the Holocaust. Or a woman's life post holocaust I suppose. Also there's The World According to Garp by John Irving. By far and away his best work. We were talking about The Grapes of Wrath the other day in chat, which is certainly also worth reading. And lastly, let me suggest some Canadian content. Go read some Michael Ondaatje, it's beautiful and poetic and wow. Rather than reading The English Patient I'd go with Anil's Ghost, although In the Skin of the Lion was good too.

Edit: Fixing italics.

[ October 28, 2003, 11:32 PM: Message edited by: Bob the Lawyer ]

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't feel bad if you can't get into Shakespeare. They were written to be seen, not to be read. I'd say, rather than reading the plays you should look up a brief summary online and then go out and see some live theatre.
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

quote:
It alternated between "I can't put this down!" to "Why don't I go drive nails into my eyes?"

That's hilarious. [Wink]

Speaking of the Holocaust, The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom is a wonderful book.

[ October 29, 2003, 12:22 AM: Message edited by: Narnia ]

Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
Ahem.

Ender's Game.

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Narn, yay! Someone else who read those books to death. I actually never owned them -- I got them from the library. Repeatedly. [Wink]

And I absolutely agree on e.e. cummings! *starts reciting "maggie and milly and molly and may"* And ditto on Burnett! And Alcott!

Oh! And if you want another series, Jennie, try the All-of-a-Kind Family books, by Sydney Taylor. And you must read Cheaper by the Dozen and Belles On their Toes by the Gilbreths. Oh! and Momma's Bank Account.

And definitely read Flowers for Algernon -- at least the short story, though I prefer the novel.

And Island of the Blue Dolphins!

For variety, some books many Americans have never read: The Family from One End Street by Eve Garnett, and absolutely everything by Enid Blyton.

I agree with Ic on Through the Looking Glass. But you must also read Carrol's Hunting of the Snark. If you can get your hands on The Annotated Snark (annotations by Martin Gardner), absolutely read that. The annotations are amazing. But I'm not sure how available it is.

Wiesel's Night is very good, but there really are far better books about the Holocaust. Most are not from "mainstream" presses, though.

I agree with Brinestone about Shakespeare. Although seeing his plays is much better than reading them, IMO. Twelfth Night is indeed lots of fun.

Donne's Holy Sonnets are lovely, although I personally prefer his other poems.

Other poets you should read: Stevie Smith, Robert Burns, Seamus Heaney, Elizabeth Bishop, E.A. Robinson. If you can get your hands on the Norton Anthology of Poetry or something like it, that would give you a nice spectrum.

That should be enough to begin with. [Evil]

Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Classic sci/fi (pre-1980)
I recomend anything by Gene Wolfe or Theodore Sturgeon, my two favorite authors--Wolfe is more consistently great though
Heinlein-I've read almost everything by Heinlein. This is what I'd pick.
The Moon is a Harsh Mistress--revolution on the moon
Stranger in a Strange Land
Time Enough for Love
Citizen of the Galaxy
Glory Road--fantasy, very influential
Starship Troopers (far better than the movie)
The Past through Tomorrow (short stories)

Isaac Asimov
The Foundation Trilogy
I, Robot--short stories that introduced Asimov's Laws of Robotics--many other robot novels and story collections
Fantastic Voyage

Roger Zelazny
The 10 book Amber series--fantasy
This Immortal
Lord of Light
Roadmarks--weird fantasy sci/fi mix
Many fabulous, award-winning short stories and novelettes

Larry Niven--many great short story collections
Ringworld--3 sequels
Protector
The Long Arm of Gil Hamilton--short story collection, sci/fi detective mix
The Magic goes away--fantasy, 3 sequels
Niven with Jerry Pournelle
The Mote in God's Eye--one of the best first alien contact novels ever
The Gripping Hand--sequel to Mote, almost as good.
Lucifer's Hammer--comet hits Earth. Duck and cover, boys and girls!
Inferno--modern rewrite of Dante

Clarke--2001, a Space Odyssey
Rendevous with Rama
Imperial Earth
Childhood's End
other novels which I am less familiar with, plus many great short stories

John Brunner
The Traveler in Black--fantasy, a short novel but great
The Shockwave Rider
Stand on Zanzibar
The Sheep Look Up--these last two are both long and depressing, but very good

Poul Anderson
Tau Zero--wow, I haven't read that in years, I need to snag a copy
Three Hearts and Three Lions--fantasy, [Eek!] there's a sequel?!? News to me
Psychotechnic League series, Future history of the Polesotechnic League series--I've read some of these and enjoyed them, haven't read them all
Also never read the Time Patrol series but always meant to.
Phew! Enough sci fi

Mainstream Fiction
I second Catch-22 and The World according to Garp--two of the funniest novels ever written

Non-fiction
Anything non-fiction by Isaac Asimov or Martin Gardner is a joy to read, they were both genuises who could really write.

Anything non-fiction from Thomas Wolfe in the 60s and 70s, before he became a sell-out

Life on the Missisippi, Mark Twain
The Prince, Machievelli
Life with Charlie, John Steinbeck

Hunter S. Thompson
Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail 1972--twisted look at Nixon's reelection campaign
Hell's Angels--twisted look at CA motorcycle gangs
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas--just twisted

[ October 29, 2003, 01:29 AM: Message edited by: Morbo ]

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ae
Member # 3291

- posted      Profile for ae   Email ae         Edit/Delete Post 
Xavier:
quote:
Other than that, I'm really a genre-whore myself. I think I may take some of these suggestions someday, having read almost everything the science fiction and fantasy genre's have to offer.
Wanna bet? [Wink]

Anyway, my list of must-reads only has one book on it (because I'm too lazy to mention more, not because I can't think of any): The Chess Garden by Brooks Hansen. An unjustifiably overlooked novel.

Posts: 2443 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Can't believe no one mentioned George Orwell (Animal Farm, etc) or Brave New World (hated the book, but it sure made for some interesting discussions on cultures) or Machievelli (I think I spelled it wrong)

Farmgril

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
Kafka is not depressing -- he's hilarious.
Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
I'll second the John Irving novels already mentioned: The World According to Garp and A Prayer for Owen Meany. I think Owen Meany is better, but your mileage may vary.

I'll also second anything by Gene Wolfe. If you prefer standalone novels, I recommend Peace and The Fifth Head of Cerberus (which, although it is a collection of three novellas should be read as a cohesive whole). If you like longer series, I recommend The Book of the New Sun, followed by The Urth of the New Sun, followed by The Book of the Long Sun, followed by The Book of the Short Sun (12 books in all).

Others I recommend (some of which have already been mentioned):

The Great Gatsby, by F. Scott Fitzgerald.
Slaughterhouse Five, by Kurt Vonnegut.
One Hundred Years of Solitude, by Gabriel Garcia Marquez.
East of Eden, by John Steinbeck.
The Pillars of the Earth, by Ken Follett.
Eyes of the Dragon, by Stephen King.
Watership Down, by Richard Adams.
Dune, by Frank Herbert.
The Lord of the Rings, by J.R.R. Tolkien.
On the Road, by Jack Kerouac.
Anything by Tennyson
A Farewell to Arms, by Ernest Hemingway.
Cyrano de Bergerac, by Edmond Rostand.
Anything by T.S. Eliot

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
There are so many:

Plato
Socrates
Gilgamesh
Beowulf
The Oddessey
The Illiad
The Aeneiad
(There are some Roman writers I haven't got around to yet)
The Majabaratta (spelled wrong)
The Annalects--Confusious
The I-Ching
Various Taoist books
The Divine Comedy
Shakespeare's Histories
Immorte' De' Arthur (Mandatory for any French minor fantasy fan) by Sir Thomas Mallory
Milton
Cervante's Don Quixote
(more modern, The Death and Life of Miguel Cervante's is gauranteed to blow your mind, though perhaps not in a good way)
Nathaniel Hawthorn's works, especially The Scarlett Letter
Everything by Edgar Allen Poe
Sherlock Holmes, a couple of stories each, including one Moriarity story so you understand the characters
Mark Twain, as much as possible. (Do not start with Huckleberry Fin, I swear that Twain got stuck with the story and didn't know how to end it.)
Moby Dick
War & Peace

Memorize all of the above plus the bible.
There will be a test tomorrow.
Throw out as many quotes as you can and everyone will say you are a well learned person.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for odouls268   Email odouls268         Edit/Delete Post 
Apparantly alot of people have gotten together and agreed that "Old and boring" is synonymous with "culture".

I assure you this is not the case.

If something bores you the point of attempted suicide, dont force yourself through it simply because someone said you needed it to be cultured.

Go watch Family Guy on DVD and do some laughing. Try to figure out what all the obscure classical references are from. That'll learn ya some culture.

Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.