FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hatrack Holiday Gift to First Book ($600+ donated) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Hatrack Holiday Gift to First Book ($600+ donated)
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
but you said you had an account, how do you have an account if you haven't set it up.... makes no sense

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Happy Camper
Member # 5076

- posted      Profile for Happy Camper   Email Happy Camper         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I registered, with the intention of making some transactions, but never actually got around to setting any of it up. And now I think I'm going to have to wait again, looking at all this crap. Unless there's something on that page that allows for instant payment, that I'm just not seeing. [Dont Know]

P.S. - I'll be the first to admit that a lot of times I miss the obvious.

Posts: 609 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

you can do it via credit card without having to be *verified*

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
He's like a monkey with a math problem.

Oh wait...

isn't that what all engineers are?

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

to spell it out because I just realized ak may have done the same thing since she is waiting for verification

you don't have to be verified, I'm not. All you have to do is click on the send money tab, fill out the information of where to send it and how much, then hit continue and it will go to a screen where you input your credit card info. I use my debit card info, it doesn't matter.

AJ

[ December 08, 2003, 10:21 PM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

Happy Camper
Member # 5076

- posted      Profile for Happy Camper   Email Happy Camper         Edit/Delete Post 
(_|_)

*edit* that was directed at Mack, AJ just got caught in the crossfire.

[ December 08, 2003, 10:22 PM: Message edited by: Happy Camper ]

Posts: 609 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

- posted      Profile for Suneun   Email Suneun         Edit/Delete Post 
The only downside is that First Book doesn't seem to be listed on the Better Business Bureau's Charity Guide. Their Annual Report 2002 seems okay, with $266,000 spent on Management and General, and $150,000 for Fundraising. Monetary contributions were about 3 million.
Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

the problem with mooning either Mack or I, Happy is that we'd enjoy it too much.
[Razz]
AJ

BannaOj
Member # 3206

but suneun if you go to www.firstbooks.org it is ranked by forbes and charity navigator.

AJ

Happy Camper
Member # 5076

That's weird, it won't give me that option, all that happens is it tells me that the transaction exceeds my sending limit (which happens to be $0.00) and I need to get *verified*.
Suneun
Member # 3247

shruuuuug. while i couldn't find the Forbes article, the Charity Navigator said nice things about it. I just found it a shame that it's not listed on BBB Wise Giving Alliance as that's my favorite charity background checker.

(btw, it's firstbook.org, not plural! =)

Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Well maybe it is because they are cracking down or something. I had an account for something that I bought so long ago that I don't even remember what it is I bought. They definietly weren't so paranoid when I started my account. My sending limit is a weird number like $1,946 which makes absolutely no sense because I know I wouldn't have ever done a transaction that large through pay pal anyway.

AJ

Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Sent mine via paypal.

Thanks, Rabbit!

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Happy Camper
Member # 5076

quote:
the problem with mooning either Mack or I, Happy is that we'd enjoy it too much.
Now I know I've been reviewing a report for too long. First thing I thought when I looked at your post was that it should read "the problem with mooning either Mack or me..."

[Angst]

edit - cause I forgot the end quotes

[ December 08, 2003, 10:35 PM: Message edited by: Happy Camper ]

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Engineer, the grammatically correct way to say that would've been, "The problem with mooning either Mack or me."

*pat pat*

*smacks Happy's bare bum*

[Razz]

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

jinx.

you owe me a coke, HC. [Smile]

BannaOj
Member # 3206

Thank you Mom, well Mom(s) plural I guess. Considering I've only passed two formal english classes in my life I'm not doing too bad.

AJ

mackillian
Member # 586

badly.

*pat pat*

BannaOj
Member # 3206

ok I really can't win tonight! Maybe I need that coke to make my brain start up again.

AJ

BannaOj
Member # 3206

And my mother would have her shotgun out by now too for screwing up so badly when she home taughted me.
[Big Grin]
AJ

(Yes Mack, the taughted was on purpose... it is a bad homeschooling joke, and stop ridiculing me on IM and then signing off!)

[ December 08, 2003, 10:44 PM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

mackillian
Member # 586

Now I'm trying to figure out if you wrote "taughted" on purpose or not.

Damn, it's really hard to tell.

Happy Camper
Member # 5076

*passes Mack and AJ cokes*

*Looks innocent and waits for one of them to open it [Evil] *

BannaOj
Member # 3206

just so long as you didn't pee in it...

AJ

(blackwolve said she figured out how to make Paypal work on IM so I'm hoping she comes over here and explains it to you poor shmucks.)

[ December 08, 2003, 10:51 PM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
[Razz]

It confused me for a while, but on mine, right next to where it gives you your spending limit, $0.00 if you're waiting to be verified, it should have an option to increase your spending limit by using your credit card, then you click on that, and it should be self explanatory.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Click on the "Send Money" tab. Next to your $0.00 limit is a link that says "Add credit card to raise limit." Click on it.

Send lots of money to rivka@UCLA . . . um, nevermind.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Rabbit, I found a site with a bunch of international reading/book charitites:

web page

Maybe we can find one that is on the BBB, so everyone is comfortable.

Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Happy Camper
Member # 5076

[Mad]

I guess I'm not as stupid as this is making me out to be. I tried all those things, but the credit card is insisting on an expanded use number, which is going to take some time to get to my statement. It just won't work quite as quickly as I thought it might. Guess I'll just have to wait a while.

rivka
Member # 4859

The expanded use number is on the back of the credit card, neh? Worked for me.

Erm, I have a question for the givers that I'm a feeling a bit awkward about asking. Does anyone mind if we call this a "Holiday Gift"? I would like to contribute, but don't feel comfortable doing so with the current religious overtones. [Dont Know] But maybe some prefer it the way it stands?

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ana kata
Member # 5666

- posted      Profile for ana kata   Email ana kata         Edit/Delete Post 
I was just thinking since I've already given this thing my whole life, including bank numbers and mother's maiden name, I would wait and let the confirmation go through and use that method. That way if this thing goes berzerk and starts spending my money, at least I have one thing that spends (my credit card) which is still okay. I know that's paranoid, and this is paypal and all, that zillions of people use, but I live off my debit card and don't keep any cash so if I get hung up right at Christmastime, I'm in bad shape. I've had one credit card stolen off the computer already. (I hypothesized it was off the web because who else but computer geeks want to charge up a lot of domain names to someone's stolen account?)
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Happy Camper
Member # 5076

Wow, that musta been some coincidence, because that number didn't work for me. Says it has to be 4 digits, and the only 4 digit number on the back of my card is also the last 4 digits of my CC#. The other number is 3 digits.
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Riv-I think that's a great idea, I buy gifts this time of year but don't go all out with the religious icons (no tree for me thanks!).

Rabbit, would that be ok?

Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Weird. For Visa, MC, and Discover, it's a 3-digit number. Don't know about Amex.
ana kata
Member # 5666

Ah, I realized after I typed that, that I could use my debit card as a credit card and do it that way. So now it still only has my bank account and I have my credit card somewhat safe. So mine is sent! Woo hoo!
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

oh I totally don't think people should back down and try to choose another charity. This charity is fine, really.
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Are we keeping the donation plate open until Christmas? Is there a deadline or anything?
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Happy Camper
Member # 5076

Is it possible that PayPal just hates me? I think you're referring to the 'Card Verification Number', not this 'Expanded Use Number' that it's insisting I input.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Sure thing Rivka. We will call it the Hatrack Holiday gift to First Book.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

You're right, HC. That is what it was.

I have no idea what an Expanded Use Number is. [Confused]

rivka
Member # 4859

Thanks. [Smile] Mine's on its way.
Happy Camper
Member # 5076

[Wall Bash]

Every time I try to do something out of the ordinary for me, this is the kind of resistance I get. It's a wonder I do anything at all.

The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I will wait until Dec. 19 to make the donation. I don't want to set the date later than that because I may not be at my computer regularly after the 19th. If people would like to donate after that date, you can give directly to First Book in honor of Hatrack River. I've already added one donation made this way to our total so feel free to take this route if Paypal doesn't like you.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Thanks Rabbit. This was a great idea. [Smile]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Do you think that we're the first online community to do this?? It doesn't seem like this would happen very much. I guess that makes us SPECIAL!!
The Rabbit
Member # 671

I won't be back online until tomorrow afternoon. If you send in a donation and you don't see the numbers updated, don't worry.

I hope the rest of you are having as much fun with this as I am. You people are fantastic.

BTW: I think that anyone who donates can automatically be considered "real".

BannaOj
Member # 3206

[Frown] Happy don't give up, it will come out in the wash.

AJ

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
I believe sending money from your credit card costs the person recieving it money. Like 2% of the amount sent.

You can setup paypal to send money directly from your bank account, but that takes a couple days. I believe sending money from that is free for both sender and reciever.

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ana kata
Member # 5666

This has been really fun! All these threads tonight that are almost in chat mode, they're being posted to so often. But I've got to go to sleep now, guys. Y'all don't do anything else interesting or fun until tomorrow, okay? [Smile]
The Rabbit
Member # 671

bump
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
This is very exciting!
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
If you want to bump up the excitement, we start by saying who ever donates the most gets a Wench of their choice as a one day minion.

Then you'll see some great big donations.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.