FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Sharing Bodily Fluids (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Sharing Bodily Fluids
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Ooooh, European cooties.
How exotic. [Wink] And you may want to check with your local blood bank. It's been over a year since I donated [Blushing] , but they used to just ask about the UK -- not all of Europe -- at the hospital where I donate.

Individual blood banks will have guidelines similar to the Red Cross', but they may not be the same.

And I agree with dkw -- the Jewish one is one of a number of viewpoints. Although admittedly fairly middle-of-the road.

[ January 06, 2004, 06:16 PM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Happy Camper
Member # 5076

- posted      Profile for Happy Camper   Email Happy Camper         Edit/Delete Post 
Nick, sounds like you'd do well donating, but then everyone reacts a bit differently. I've known folks who were just over the 110 threshold and been just fine, and folks who were quite a bit larger who just passed out almost immediately.

Obviously there are other reasons you might not be able to donate, if you get plenty of iron then you're probably okay in that regard. There are also a lot of sex questions, and disease questions, in addition to travel related questions. I went to China a few years back and they had to spend half an hour all 6 times (a year afterward) looking up all the places I'd been in China as I guess there's malaria risk in certain regions.

Posts: 609 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
just ask about the UK
Unfortunately, these are (mostly) the kind of European Cooties that I have.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

How long were you there? I think there's a minimum time -- I know that my 7-week stay gets ok'd.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
Someone asked about medication restrictions on the first page. I know for a fact you cannot donate while you are taking Accutane, or one month afterward.

Europeans cannot donate because we all know that they are Communist, and we do not want Communists to sap our precious bodily fluids! [Smile]

[ January 06, 2004, 06:46 PM: Message edited by: Danzig ]

Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
How long were you there?
Um... ten years.

I know I can't give blood.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Yup, ten years is surely over any limit. [Smile] Oh, well. You'll just have to get your cookie fix somewhere else! [Wink]
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I've not had the chance to give blood yet... I was sick the last few times it came through my school..

I wonder about their testing of the criteria, though. I knew someone at my High School who quite obviously did not fit the criteria for weight... And she got into the blood drive, gave blood, and passed out later that day. (she hadn't had breakfast... [Eek!] )

I recently found out that she did it AGAIN at the local community college... [No No]

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Skipping breakfast -- not so bright, but it happens sometimes.

Giving blood after skipping breakfast -- very unbright. *sigh*

BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
The UMC one doesn't even quite sound like it is addressing the question. Maybe someone should e-mail them and tell them they have it messed up? I would think someplace like the Red Cross would be highly sensitive to issues like that.

I really should give blood, I have B+ which while not the most rare is more rare. I guess I'll do it next time our company has a blood drive. Unlike Happy Camper though I don't get a half day off work for it!

Random comment: Bizzarely enough Behr paints makes a foresty shade of green called Happy Camper. I ran across it on www.behr.com the other day when I was playing with their online tool for lightening and darkening paint shades. Made me wonder what would happen if I searched for a shade called Hobbes or Mackillian!

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Happy Camper
Member # 5076

- posted      Profile for Happy Camper   Email Happy Camper         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, they don't actually weigh you, so they basically have to take your word for it, and I'm sure some people lie through their teeth, though those are more likely the higher weight people than the lower ones.

And AJ [Big Grin] That's just a bonus these days. Not an unwelcome one, I'll admit.

[ January 07, 2004, 06:51 AM: Message edited by: Happy Camper ]

Posts: 609 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maccabeus
Member # 3051

- posted      Profile for Maccabeus   Email Maccabeus         Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently I have very good veins and, despite moderately low blood pressure, I fill up the baggie very fast. I also seem to recover very very quickly.

Some years ago I had major surgery on my back (spinal fusion for scoliosis) and was asked to try and donate five pints of blood--one per week! So I dutifully took my iron pills and ate my chicken livers and at the end of the five weeks my iron level was higher than at the beginning. The only problem I had was that the fourth week I suddenly had to go to the restroom immediately afterward, which involved a lot of staggering. No passing out, though. The doctor was startled--he had only really hoped for three.

After that I began giving blood fairly regularly, but in the last few years since I came to Murray State it always seems that I am stuck in class/at work/sick/etc. when the blood drives come through.

Posts: 1041 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey all, I was just wondering how many of you have made appointments since this thread first popped up? Just curious... [Confused]
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
I had given blood 2 days BEFORE I read this thread, so I was already ridiculously on the ball. [Smile]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
[Hail] Narnia
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
On the Red Cross page about organ and tissue donation at the very bottom where it gives the reference to the source it says 1979. Perhaps their information is just a tad outdated! It is interesting to read viewpoints though. My very misguided younger brother is not an organ donor because he thinks that if he is a doctor won't work so hard to save him [Roll Eyes] Unless I'm mistaken the doctors working to save a life have no knowledge of organ donation wishes....
Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
I, too, have European cooties and (according to the donor requirements Banna linked) I am ineligible to donate blood. Bummer.
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Man, I haven't donated in a long time. I used to fairly regularly, because I worked near a hospital and would go there for blood drives.

It's just been impossible lately, because I've always got kids with me.

My husband has O neg and used to be a regular donor, but since he goes to Central America every year for missions trips, he stays ineligible. [Frown]

I've had good and bad experiences with the techs. Most have been excellent. One particular time I remember being very angry, because I told her that she needed to use my left arm, because my right arm had a vein with a tendency to roll. She told me she would use whichever one she thought was best.

Sure enough, she stuck me in the right arm and the vein kept rolling and she couldn't get it. I wound up with several sticks in the right arm, before she gave up and had another tech come over. I told her "Left arm has a real good vein" and she got it on first try.

I've had hundreds of sticks because of my medical problems and infertility treatment I KNOW which arm they need to use. [Mad]

But I don't say this to discourage anyone. Go give blood. I find it very relaxing. I just lie back on the little couch and take a nice break. If you are eligible and have the opportunity, go do it!

As to the costs involved, and the fact that hospitals pay for the blood - that is the reason our blood supply is so safe. All the tests they perform on that blood to protect the patient who receives cost a lot of money. Blood storage is very expensive, and distribution costs, because it's not like they can put it in a box and ship it UPS.

Plus, if you go to a blood drive, you may get a t-shirt. Between my husband and myself we have so many, I'm thinking of making a quilt. [Wink]

[ January 09, 2004, 10:00 AM: Message edited by: Belle ]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.