FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Give it up for lent (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Give it up for lent
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Belle, in the Catholic tradition, you actually aren't supposed to skip out on your meds. If you're ill, you treat the illness. If you have a chronic illness, you don't stop treatment.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John L
Member # 6005

- posted      Profile for John L           Edit/Delete Post 
In most Protestant doctrine, too. Belle, who suggested you shouldn't take meds?
Posts: 779 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marek
Member # 5404

- posted      Profile for Marek   Email Marek         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, I may not give hatrack completely for lent, or AIM (especially since I just bought DeadAIM), but I am intending to cutback, and may infact give them both up for lent(or longer). So for now, happy lent to everyone who celbrates it, and see ya later to everyone. [Wave] [Dont Know] [Wave]
Posts: 2332 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
No one suggested it, John. I wondered myself if that would be a way to solve the issue of wanting to fast for prayer vs. needing to eat with the meds.

I did ask my therapist about it, and she said my idea, of eating some bread or crackers and drinking something when I take the meds in the morning was fine. It's not about strict rules and regulations she reminded me, if I need to make a small adaption to make fasting work for me, then that is what I should do. So that takes care of that. [Smile]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
Goodbye, Sweet Pirate Costume! I barely knew ya. [Cry]

Goodnight, all. [Smile]

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool, Belle. [Smile]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
I've added coffee to my list, which shouldn't be too hard, since I've never gotten addicted (in fact, I seem to have caffiene insensitivity; I can have an expresso, straight, and fall asleep a half hour later with no problems.).

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

For an added tidbit for the non-Lent knowledgeable:

The ash that is used on Ash Wednesday is usually the burnt palm leaves from the previous year's Palm Sunday (you are supposed to keep them around all year, if possible, for this reason). It's all a big circle.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Alas, I was not decadent enough the last few days. There is still one xnera-made truffle in my house and lent is upon us.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zan
Member # 4888

- posted      Profile for Zan   Email Zan         Edit/Delete Post 
I gave up sweets for Lent.

Someone brought in cakes and cupcakes in honor of Engineers Week today. They're sitting right outside of my office.

I am thankful however that the regular shipment of Krispy Kreme donuts didn't come in today.

Posts: 221 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

So I took the boys to Chic-fil-A for family night. Sometimes they have a lady that makes baloon thingies, and sometimes they do face painting, but they always have 99 cent kid's meals (limit 2 per adult meal purchased).

Usually, Ron is with me and one of us gets the food while the other stands in line with boys to keep them out of trouble until it is their turn, but this week Ron was out of town. It was the 'balloon lady' who I have come to know fairly well recently. She's really cool.

Anyway, I get the food and here comes my eldest in a pirate suit made of balloons (tricorn ballon hat, balloon parrot, balloon cutlass with a belt to hold it in.

It's as if the universe is mocking me. [Wink]

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Alas, I was not decadent enough the last few days. There is still one xnera-made truffle in my house and lent is upon us.
What!!!?? I never even saw those truffles. Xnera made them as I was going to sleep Saturday night, and by Sunday morn I figured they were all gone! [Cry]

My mom and I decided for Lent, I would give up alcohol (I don't drink) and she would give up meat (she's a vegetarian) and we would both give up sex! [Wink]

(in other words, we don't give up stuff for lent). But we got a good laugh out of the conversation.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it considered permissible to decide to start after Ash Wednesday? I have not actually had any alcohol, but is it considered... ok? Edit: I guess what I mean is does it still count as observing Lent even if my first couple of days were not done for that purpose, but I still gave something up for the entire time period?

Is it ok for someone of a denomination that does not really celebrate Lent to do so privately? It is just for myself and God I suppose, but I do not want to usurp a tradition of a denomination that would rather I not...

[ February 27, 2004, 11:03 AM: Message edited by: Danzig ]

Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm giving up Catholicism for Lent! (is a Lutheran)
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luthe
Member # 1601

- posted      Profile for luthe   Email luthe         Edit/Delete Post 
My comment was intended to be a joke.
Posts: 1458 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
As I sit here at my desk eating lunch, there is a box of Dunkin Donuts on the counter outside. I am the only one here right now as everyone else went out to lunch.

Could someone do something to distract God for about 2 minutes?

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

Danzig, I've been (attempting) to observe Lent all my life, so I say, go for it.

Also, in my opinion, it's fine to start after the fact. I also think that if you fail, to keep trying to abstain anyway.

-Bok

Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, so far so good.
Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'd imagine that it's easier to celebrate any tradition when everyone around you is also celebrating; ask a Mormon in Utah, for example.
Did you implicitly ask there? Well, I'll explicitly answer. I am a life-long Mormon, and I grew up in Texas and Oklahoma, but have been living in Utah for the last ten years, so I have dealt with both extremes. I didn't find it easier in either place. But I've talked with people who have felt both ways -- some find it easier to live their religion when they are a minority, some when they are a majority.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
Fasting is potentially dangerous, and should be practiced carefully. As I understand it, fasting helps one focus on prayers and meditation by teaching you to manage your bodily needs and lean on the spiritual. It can induce certain psychological states percieved as more conducive to connecting with the Divine. I think that it would be wisest to discuss the "how-to's" of fasting with one's physician and religious leader before embarking on it. It's not helping anyone if your religious practices end up weakening or killing you!

To all those giving up something in order to more deeply connect with their faiths - I salute you! I hope you find wisdom, peace, and blessing through your practice. [Hat]

Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

- posted      Profile for The Silverblue Sun   Email The Silverblue Sun         Edit/Delete Post 
testing

40 days

testing

when the devil calls to you

what do you do?

testing

40 days

testing

Posts: 2752 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John L
Member # 6005

- posted      Profile for John L           Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome back, brotha.
Posts: 779 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
THOR!!!!

*tackle hug*

[Party]

Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Whoa, Marek really hasn't posted since February 29th! Way to go Marek!

I actually bumped this because I am giving up sweets and chocolate on Monday. But not for a specified time period. I was thinking about it and I think the chocolate is the bigger problem than sweets generally. I will still be having fruit, but only with a balanced meal. Should be interesting. Also no "sugar free" chocolates. I've always objected to those on aesthetic grounds.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, so that's why he hasn't been posting lately...
Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Good job, Marek, for sticking to it!

*misses Marek*

[ April 10, 2004, 03:43 PM: Message edited by: Valentine014 ]

Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
How long is Lent?
I think i should give up bad television altogether. But it's not that easy to do, even though I hate it..
I am weird.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
<Looking forward to having Grisha posting again tomorrow>
Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

- posted      Profile for MaydayDesiax   Email MaydayDesiax         Edit/Delete Post 
I gave up Hatrack (not AIM) for Lent, which I am proud to say I managed to do, not even look at the threads.

Of course, being Roman Catholic yet hating fish, I ate meat on Fridays, so I'm going to Hell anyway. [Wink]

Posts: 873 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fishtail
Member # 3900

- posted      Profile for Fishtail   Email Fishtail         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm Catholic and hate fish, too, but that's why God made pasta! Fettucini Alfredo has to be of divine origin.
Posts: 471 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marek
Member # 5404

Well I failed miserably on the giving up AIM thing, and posted some, and lurked alot.

So in the end the only thing I actually managed to give up was shaveing, and when you are thin and have long hair, Easter is not the best time grow a beard (unless you like the jokes about haveing actually risen [Roll Eyes] ). Still good work Mayday, you have far more will power than I. [Hail] Ah, how I have missed these smilies. [Razz]

[ April 11, 2004, 04:59 PM: Message edited by: Marek ]

Posts: 2332 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
(((((Marek)))))
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
I gave up meat, but lapsed last Sunday when hubby grilled buffalo steaks.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
This is the first year I actually gave up something successfully for Lent: Hatrack
[Smile]
My last post was February 24.

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats to all the abstainers, and welcome back!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
PS. If you've been gone, check around and see what's new with Bob and Dana, as well as our Aussie Jatraqueros.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome back! [Wave]
Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

Thanks. [Smile]
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

quote:
Could someone do something to distract God for about 2 minutes?
[ROFL]
I know exactly what you mean. [Big Grin]

ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
<<<<<Grisha>>>>>
Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome back Marek and Nick!
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

Welcome back!

*rummages for Pirate suit*

*sings* Aaaaaah, sweet mystery of life, at last I've found youuuuuuu!

Marek
Member # 5404

Thanks all the welcomeing people, and hey, Nick had more will power than me too, guess a hatrack addiction can be contained, maybe next time I'll do better [Dont Know] .

also:

((((Valentine014)))) thanks, [Wave] and I haven't talked to you in forever, that should be fixed.

<<<<<<Tatiana>>>>>>

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.