FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » ­ (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: ­
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
I used the method Sarcasm described.

Just one question: I thought someone had complained that the code had been changed and no one could make empty threads. Is that true? And if so, did HRE just find a new way to make them?

Ok, more than one question.

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
Eagerly I wished the morrow
Vainly I had sought to borrow
From my books surcease of sorrow
Sorrow for the lost Lenore
For the rare and radiant maiden whom the angels name Lenore

Nameless here forevermore

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pajeba
Member # 5656

- posted      Profile for pajeba           Edit/Delete Post 
It looks blank to me on the thread list deal, but it shows a hyphen in my Back button.
Posts: 233 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Oops, now that it is 2 pages, I can just click on it!

[ROFL]

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

Oh, good. We've got numbers to click now. My work here is done.

[The Wave]

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Rats, didn't make it in before page two. I guess I'm just gauche.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HRE
Member # 6263

- posted      Profile for HRE   Email HRE         Edit/Delete Post 
One way to get a bunch of replies....

quote:
Not even close, but you have time to study.
Do I at least get some creativity points?
Posts: 515 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
Ahem. I am not hallucinating.

Evidence:
Here is the main page of the forum, and you can see that the thread is titled "-".

And clicking on that brings me to the thread, and the title on the top of the browser window is clearly "-".

So there.

Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm
Member # 4653

- posted      Profile for Sarcasm           Edit/Delete Post 
So you Photoshopped a couple of screen captures. So what?
Posts: 276 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HRE
Member # 6263

What browser is that?
Posts: 515 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I am obviously still a very newbie-ish newbie, cuz I didn't know how to get in here till there were numbers to click on.

[ March 12, 2004, 07:43 PM: Message edited by: digging_holes ]

Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
[Wall Bash]
It's Safari.

Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Well, now that the numbers are here, everyone can read how to get into an empty thread. Great newbie education!
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, since he's on a toy computer, I wouldn't be at all surprised that his Mac renders ANSI codes differently.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

TOY?! HE?! HIS?!
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
How the heck did you all get in here?
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Go to a thread above or below it on the page, and then click on the Previous or Next buttons.
Well I guess this makes me the dumbest newbie yet. I never even thought of that.

*goes and hides in a corner, not to emerge again for the next 200 years till all present-day Hatrackers have passed away and no one will be alive to know about my humiliation*

Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HRE
Member # 6263

I feel very special.

What is my next challenge that I must pass to evolve from n00bness?

Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

Okay... so in mozilla there's no hyphen. In Internet Explorer it's an upside-down ^, and in Netscape there's also no hyphen.
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
RRR: Mozilla and any Netscape 6 or higher is basically the same thing.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
HRE:

The first thing you have to do is stop asking if you're a n00b. [Smile]

Then you post in threads making fun of those newer than you. [Big Grin]

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

Wow, I was using Mozilla, but it does seem to have been much easier in Explorer. Silly me.
NdRa
Member # 2295

- posted      Profile for NdRa   Email NdRa         Edit/Delete Post 
[Laugh] HRE
Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm
Member # 4653

- posted      Profile for Sarcasm           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm using IE, and I don't have a hacek instead of a hyphen. It's just blank. Except in the window title, where the hyphen actually shows up.
Posts: 276 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
[Dont Know]

what's all the fuss about, eh?

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cochick
Member # 6167

- posted      Profile for cochick   Email cochick         Edit/Delete Post 
well done HRE [Cool]

*presents HRE with pizza to celebrate*

I just clicked on the space where the title should have been and got in straight away! [Taunt]

Posts: 394 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Guess I made it too late.
Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Whatever happened to Twoson Paula?
Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

So, HRE, you aren't going to tell us how you made the empty thread to begin with?
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
(hugs Speed)
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, even though it looks blank to me, I can actually click on the blankness.
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Kama, now I can click on the empty title too, but back when there was only one page I couldn't. And I used the method of changing the thread number in the address bar, since it seemed the obvious thing to do [Dont Know]
As for how HRE did this, it's a mistery to me... I tried several things, none of them worked. It's just a matter of finding the *right glitch* in this type of forum...

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HRE
Member # 6263

Its not a "glitch" at all. [Wink]
Speed
Member # 5162

[Blushing]
raventh1
Member # 3750

- posted      Profile for raventh1           Edit/Delete Post 
Interestingly enough, you can click on the blankness *or rather unicode character that isn't very well represented.* in IE, but not in FireFox.
Posts: 1132 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been experimenting on an old thread that I started that has dropped off the first page, and I've finally figured out how to do it. Good work HRE. Don't worry, I'm not sharing your secret.
Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HRE
Member # 6263

So, who is Thor?
skillery
Member # 6209

HRE:

I like your explanation of Thor better than anything these folks are likely to come up with.

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
How come every noobie feels obligated to do this? [Roll Eyes]

And HRE, you still haven't answered the question "Who is Thor?"

Here's another one: Who is The Silverblue Sun?

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

In the "Word of the Day" thread, Bob posted the following on January 31, 2002:

quote:
Silverblue Sun provided us with a post that was the Rosetta Stone needed to aid in deciphering all those previous Thor posts.
It looks like Thor was already history two years ago. I guess Thor was tough to understand.
HRE
Member # 6263

quote:
How come every noobie feels obligated to do this?
"Tradition! Tradition!"
-Tevye

Give me a day to be creative. Its midnight here, and I don't think you want any of those early morning "creative ideas."

John: Whats this in the blender?
Bill: Beer, eggs, and pickles.
John: Dare I ask why?
Bill: It seemed like such a good idea at two in the morning...

[ March 14, 2004, 12:14 AM: Message edited by: HRE ]

skillery
Member # 6209

The Silverblue Sun is Thor. He got a job in a bookstore last September, and we haven't heard much from him since. All the women here at Hatrack thought he was hot and were continually asking "where is Thor?"
HRE
Member # 6263

I'm working on the real question as we speak.
skillery
Member # 6209

I hope you find it soon HRE. I'm stuck in a quagmire of Jack Chick religious tract parodies.

Thor's first name = Jason?

cochick
Member # 6167

- posted      Profile for cochick   Email cochick         Edit/Delete Post 
i know who Thor challenged [Taunt]

just haven't been able to work out what and who won [Dont Know]

Posts: 394 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
Ela, CT threw down the gauntlet to post a blank thread and figure out the details of Thor in a Newbie post that I'm to lazy to link for you.

Thor is the Silverblue Sun.

Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Ela, I was the very devil. The newbies should have told me to get myself behind them. *hides head in shame

cochick, you know about the challenge? Great!

quote:
It looks like Thor was already history two years ago. I guess Thor was tough to understand.
Thor occupies a unique place at Hatrack, and it's his for the duration of the forum. Although we always seem to work out our differences here (with a few notable execptions that prove the rule), with Thor, the turnaround was nothing short of unbelievable from all involved. Hatrack changed to fit him and appreciate him just as much as he changed to fit Hatrack -- and both without losing any of their own peculiar and interesting characters.

Marvelous. I only wish it could always be like that.

[ March 14, 2004, 10:47 PM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

quote:
the turnaround was nothing short of unbelievable from all involved
Oh great, I've gone and joined a cult. Next thing I'll find out that you're all living with Bo Gritz in some compound in Idaho.
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
*makes secret hand motions at the other inner-circle cult members
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

Bump
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.