FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Good Lord...I just realized that my skills have no value in the real world (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Good Lord...I just realized that my skills have no value in the real world
fleetwood
Member # 6530

- posted      Profile for fleetwood   Email fleetwood         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah fugu, your email went through. I'm thinking about it before I respond.

I would appreciate any help you can give Phanto, thanks.

Thanks to everybody else for responding as well.

Posts: 16 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I know this feeling... I want to make a living writing.
I am tired of working at the supermarket, of not earing enough money or having a social life or being stuck on foodstamps when they can decide to cut 90% of them.
Currently I dislike my life and situation...

But only a bit.

[ June 24, 2004, 10:07 PM: Message edited by: Synesthesia ]

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dabbler
Member # 6443

- posted      Profile for dabbler   Email dabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
mph I don't think it makes a difference in my argument that it can apply to everyone.
Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
mack,

I have a hard time getting my head around the sheer productivity you describe and the apparent lack of reward for it. it's rigoddamndiculous! not to mention fairly depressing.

fallow

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
*bump*
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
What, my two novels?

The first is a first novel and has all the problems of that type.

The second is...well, I need to get off my ass.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

*delivers swift kick to Mack's booty*

anything I can do to help?

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, find me an agent. [Wink]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

wish I could. [Smile] I could try and "play" agent. What are you trying to do?
mackillian
Member # 586

I have to sell my manuscript to a publisher. Generally, you need an agent. So I have to query agents, get one of them to read the manuscript, agree to represent it, and hopefully, sell it to a publishing house.
fallow
Member # 6268

(not an agent)

What kind of response have you gotten so far? What kind of avenues have you tried?

curious.

mackillian
Member # 586

I sent out queries about a year ago, and sent off stuff to Tor. No response from Tor ever, and negatives from agents. *sigh*

And I KNOW it's a good novel. I KNOW it is.

fallow
Member # 6268

oh.

why do you KNOW it is? and, what about the photography thing? Is that part of the books?

CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
I mentioned this thread to a coworker, Barbara. It's her bf (Jim) who is the electrician/tinsmith. Jim does demos at our local Fort Museum. Jim knows a guy who does this six months of the year and collects unemployment for the other six months. Apparently he gets enough to live on. [Wink]

The types of things Jim makes include small things you can hold in your hands. I think Barbara mentioned some of his recent work - a wall sconce is the only thing I can remember. I'll email you his email addy so you can ask him quesions if you want. He does trade on ebay, but the name Barbara gave me didn't come up.

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

Because I've been told that by many brutally honest people.

And I could easily do a photography book...one of my projects was a photojournalessay thing that I still have to finish.

fallow
Member # 6268

on what?

what did the brutally honest people say? were they familiar with the writing content found in the places you were submitting to?

mackillian
Member # 586

www.madowl.com

lots of the stuff is explained there [Smile]

fleetwood
Member # 6530

- posted      Profile for fleetwood   Email fleetwood         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Caysedai.

I've actually sold some stuff at a fundraiser for my schools art department. Jewelry made from silver and antique watch parts.

Posts: 16 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

mack,

thanks for the link. photography's hard. I think. Possibly more difficult than writing.

fallow

mackillian
Member # 586

I actually find it easier for some reason.
fallow
Member # 6268

To sell or to do? Sorry, I should have prefaced that last post with the commercial/biz aspect you lamented in the post I was originally interested in.

[ June 26, 2004, 12:43 AM: Message edited by: fallow ]

mackillian
Member # 586

Oh, to DO. Everything is hard to sell.
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Then why do I spend so much money?
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

Mack,

on the writing thing. where do you think the disconnect is between your harsh but available critics and your unresponsive, unavailable (commercial) ones?

fallow

mackillian
Member # 586

Having time to read the manuscript.
fallow
Member # 6268

that's hopeful.

could I read something of it?

[ June 26, 2004, 01:03 AM: Message edited by: fallow ]

mackillian
Member # 586

Sure. I'll email you the first three chapters.
fallow
Member # 6268

really?!

that would be sweet. something to read over the weekend!

thanks in advance.

fallow

mackillian
Member # 586

sent [Smile]
Jalapenoman
Member # 6575

- posted      Profile for Jalapenoman   Email Jalapenoman         Edit/Delete Post 
I also went the stupid route in my education (major in cultural anthropology, minors in religious studies and literature).

Guess what education I have never used except in my hobbys?

Posts: 279 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

mack,

nice read. thank you.

fallow

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.