FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » If you could assemble the quintessential classic rock album... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: If you could assemble the quintessential classic rock album...
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
*pat pat*
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
You need some Three Dog Night and The Eagles.
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
At this rate, she's going to need more than one CD...

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Some excellent examples have already been provided, however....

For up and coming guitar heroines enamoured with the guitar heroes of the Seventies:

Include some Sabbath, UFO, Blue Oyster Cult, Rainbow, Uriah Heep, Montrose (esp. "Rock Candy"). Underrated in that era (hugley): Lou Reed.

Now if we are talking about things beyond that, I'd say anthing progressive in the era, such as Yes, Rush, Jethro Tull, or FM.

If it were for myself, all of the above, with generous lashings of Bowie, Television, Patti Smith, and Talking Heads.

Carry on....

Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, yeah, gotta have "Don't Fear the Reaper" on there.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
You've got some great ones already listed so I'll just chip in with a few that I think you might have overlooked.

You can't find a better guitar solo than the one on Dire Straits Sultans of Swing

Bob Seger has three that I would choose from: Turn the Page, Mainstreet, and Night Moves.

Pink Floyd should be represented at least once. I'd suggest Time, Money, or Comfortably Numb.

Ted Nugent also has a couple, Cat Scratch Fever is good but my two favorites would be Stranglehold and Great White Buffalo.

I also didn't see Styx mentioned at all and they were huge in the 70's. I'd recommend Crystal Ball, Lorelei or Renegade.

I might be able to come up with more but for now I'm tapped out.

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
closeyourmind
Member # 5916

- posted      Profile for closeyourmind   Email closeyourmind         Edit/Delete Post 
Aerosmith should definitely be on the CD, but the suggestions so far wouldn't classify as classic rock. Cryin', Janie's Got a Gun, and Sweet Emotion all came out in the 90's. I would suggest either Dream On or Mama Kin.

Other suggestions:

David Bowie - Space Oddity
Rush - Tom Sawyer (any Rush would do)
Yes - Fragile (this must be on the CD [Smile] )

Posts: 43 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

I gotta second Dagonee's assertion that Don't Fear The Reaper is an all time classic.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
Definitely add Don't Fear The Reaper.

As an aside, what do you all think should qualify as Classic Rock. To me, it has to be pre-80s to really qualify.

Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
The Doobie Brothers sang "Black Water."

The if you are talking about an album of the era. Boston.

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

quote:
Aerosmith should definitely be on the CD, but the suggestions so far wouldn't classify as classic rock. Cryin', Janie's Got a Gun, and Sweet Emotion all came out in the 90's. I would suggest either Dream On or Mama Kin.
I gotta say that I'm relatively certain that Sweet Emotion was released in the 70's. To be precise it was in 1975 on the Toys in the Attic album.
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Your Deep Purple song isn't Smoke on the Water? Does Sabbath's Paranoid make the cut? What about Twisted Sister [Razz] Alice Cooper?
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Alice definately.

Twisted Sister was just a bunch of posers. [Razz]

Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Since pretty much everything I'd include has been mentioned (and I agree, Beatles and Pink Floyd mentione WAY too late, but Steppenwolf mentioned pleasingly early), I'd add "American Woman". Just a personal favorite, and it's short, too, so it won't take up as much room.

A very cool gift, too, Annie [Smile]

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mean Old Frisco
Member # 6666

- posted      Profile for Mean Old Frisco   Email Mean Old Frisco         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Floyd and the Beatles were mentioned late because they're no-brainers.

I don't even think a CD burner will create a compilation classic rock CD without at least one of each. You just get an error:

quote:
List=Suck--Floyd not found. Please locate file and retry.

Posts: 270 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
These are great suggestions, everyone [Smile]

I'm trying not to overlap with a mixed album of mine that she listens to all the time, and it's got "China Girl," "Pressure," "Bohemian Rhapsody," "More Than a Feeling," and "Smoke on the Water."

The Styx is a great idea - I'd totally forgotten she's going to see them in a couple weeks and I should prep her for it. [Smile] There's nothing better than going to a concert you can sing along with. Maybe I'll get her a Styx album on its own as a separate gift.

As far as definitions of "classic," I'm trying not to be too strict. She's into the 70s stuff, but she's also enamored of more recent songs like "Free Fallin'" and Van Halen's "Right Now."

And you're right... I could easily make a whole series CDs of this stuff. [Smile]

Oh - one more question - I can't find Fleetwood Mac's "Edge of Seventeen" on iTunes... is that the right title? Sometimes they'll sell everything except the one song you want. That happened to me with Bruce Springsteen's "Secret Garden" too [Grumble] (that wasn't for this album)

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
closeyourmind
Member # 5916

- posted      Profile for closeyourmind   Email closeyourmind         Edit/Delete Post 
My bad. I knew I should have double checked Sweet Emotion. And it turns out that Janie's Got a Gun was on Pump which came out in 1989. But Cryin'...90's all the way [Smile] . Show's how much I know. But I still say that Dream On or Mama Kin should represent.
Posts: 43 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, Deam On should have to be on the album.
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mean Old Frisco
Member # 6666

- posted      Profile for Mean Old Frisco   Email Mean Old Frisco         Edit/Delete Post 
"Edge of Seventeen" is just Stevie Nicks, not Fleetwood Mac.
Posts: 270 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

Edge of Seventeen was a Stevie Nicks solo effort I believe.

Edit to add, Jinx, you owe me a coke Frisco.

[ July 29, 2004, 05:16 PM: Message edited by: punwit ]

Annie
Member # 295

I'm still trying to find just the right Floyd song. I'm pretty picky on those. I was thinking "Money," but it kind of gets annoying after repeated listenings. Should I just go with "The Wall?" Or even better - what's the title of the one that says "tongue-tied and twisted?" That one's great.

And, um, not to shake up the groove but I'm a bit biased in that... um *whispers* I hate the Beatles.

Maybe Aerosmith's cover of "Come Together" will suffice. [Smile]

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Tongue tied and twisted is from Learning to Fly, which is way too late to use.

Wish You Were Here is my favorite, especially for a guitar afficianado.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

If you haven't listened lately to Pink Floyd's Time I would highly recommend it. The cacophony of clock bells in the intro is awesome.
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

"Learning to Fly", I believe. One of my all-time favorites, too.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mean Old Frisco
Member # 6666

Money is my least favorite song on the album. Go with "Learning To Fly" (tongue-tied...) from A Momentary Lapse Of Reason, "Fearless" from Meddle, "Mother" from The Wall, or "Wish You Were Here", from Wish You Were Here (because SOYCD is too long).

There's no song called "The Wall".

And if you like all this and don't like the Beatles,

A: We can't talk. Ever.
B: You haven't given them a fair shot.

Mean Old Frisco
Member # 6666

And yes, "Learning To Fly" came out in 1987. Yet it's still "classic".
solo
Member # 3148

Astronomy Domine or Wish You Were Here are my Floyd choices.

I would definitely go with Sweet Emotion for an Aerosmith tune.

Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

Oh and for Fleetwood Mac, I really like Landslide but that may be a bit too mellow.
Annie
Member # 295

Man, I'm rusty. I thought the "we don't need no education" song was called "The Wall."

I've tried liking the Beatles, I really have. "Hey Jude" anc "Come Together" ain't bad, but, musically, I can't help but finding them to be corny. Apologies.

Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Wait a minute...hates the Beatles?!

If only I had more posts in this thread to delete! You and Ludosti ( http://www.hatrack.com/ubb/forum/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=026259;p=2 ), both just as bad!

Annie
Member # 295

Heh - not only do I hate the Beatles... I hate James Bond! Mwa ha ha ha!
solo
Member # 3148

And for some cool instrumental stuff:

The Ventures - Walk, Don't Run
Ramrods - (Ghost) Riders in the Sky
Dick Dale & The Del-Tones - Miserlou
Chantays - Pipeline

ludosti
Member # 1772

Early Beatles is kinda musically corny. Late Beatles are wonderful....

*sigh* While My Guitar Gently Weeps

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

Try Norwegian Wood, Eleanor Rigby, and Ob-la-di Ob-la-da by the Beatles if you haven't listened lately.
ludosti
Member # 1772

or A Day in the Life
Annie
Member # 295

So, my sister just walked up and read over my shoulder (luckily seeing nothing cluing her in to the purpose of the thread) and said, "You hate the Beatles?!?"

Heh.

So maybe I'm alone in this. Perhaps I'll throw in some late Beatles after all.

Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
Holy cow.

I thought I was clicking on page 2 of Belles' thread, and thought I had stumbled into one of the most heartless derailments in Hatrack history.

I was scrolling, looking for Belle's update when I saw the song "Black Water" mentioned, and I thought it was some sort of joke about his accident.

So glad I was wrong. [Smile]

I'm going to go have a huge laugh at myself now. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
At this rate, she's going to need more than one CD
Just rip both sides of Dark Side of the Moon and there you go.

How about some Brain Salad Surgery?

She'll be needin' some weed to go with it.

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tt&t
Member # 5600

- posted      Profile for tt&t   Email tt&t         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Or even better - what's the title of the one that says "tongue-tied and twisted?" That one's great.
[Cool]
Posts: 1431 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE???????

Neil Young: Cinnamon Girl or Southern Man.

Duh.

(kidding, but COME ON!)

Edit: Maybe Like a Hurricane
or Cortez the Killer

[ July 29, 2004, 08:49 PM: Message edited by: Elizabeth ]

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Grateful Dead: Sugar Magnolia or Ripple
(Truckin' or Alabama getaway would be more well known)

But the BEST would be Bertha or Birdsong.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I don't think I heard the Boss mentioned?

Thunder Road or
Born to Run

punwit
Member # 6388

How about Van Morrison; Into The Mystic , Brown Eyed Girl , Moondance
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Egads, Punwit, you are right!

And did I even hear The Who mentioned? It would have to be Baba O'Reilly.

And what about Elton John? It would have to be Crocodile Rock. Or Benny and the Jets.

Annie
Member # 295

I've got Baba O'Reilly on there. [Cool]

And Elton John is the antichrist. No - I take that back. The "Tiny Dancer" era wasn't bad, but "Benny and the Jets" is a definite sign of the apocalypse.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

True, Annie, but you cannot discount it as a song of the classic 70's rock era.
MacBeth
Member # 5670

- posted      Profile for MacBeth   Email MacBeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Faith No More is a must...hard to say what song...but the band in and of itself has influenced so many modern day rockers country singers and even hip hop...The day the band broke up I cried
Posts: 143 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Good point. MacBeth. So how about Nick Drake for a budding guitarist to listen to? He was certainly an influence on many modern musicians. Jack Johnson sites him as a main influence.

Pink Moon
or Which Will

Foust
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for Foust   Email Foust         Edit/Delete Post 
I have no clue why the Beatles are so transcendently popular.
Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Foust,
How old are you? I am just curious if it is an age thing.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.