FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » If you could assemble the quintessential classic rock album... (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: If you could assemble the quintessential classic rock album...
Mean Old Frisco
Member # 6666

- posted      Profile for Mean Old Frisco   Email Mean Old Frisco         Edit/Delete Post 
Neil Young sucks, for anyone that's confused.
Posts: 270 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
well, that's kinda harsh. So what if the guy can't sing? Why does that make him suck? Dylan can't either.
Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

- posted      Profile for Suneun   Email Suneun         Edit/Delete Post 
I second Van Morrison (and vote for Moondance. I'm sure she's heard Brown Eyed Girl, but maybe not Moondance).

My favorite Led Zepp songs are Dye'r Maker, Dazed and Confused, and You Shook Me (not the AC/DC song).

did someone mention Guns N Roses? Probably. I don't remember. Paradise City is a classic.

for Pink Floyd, it's hard. Maybe Comfortably Numb? The problem is that their early stuff go so well as complete albums (Wall, Dark Side, Wish You Were Here).

Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 6320

- posted      Profile for Mabus   Email Mabus         Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone mentioned "Hysteria" yet? I haven't read through the whole thread, mostly because I only recognize about one song in ten.

There was some cute tattooed girl in the restaurant last night telling me I ought to listen to some Cheap Trick....

Addit: the mention of "Paradise City" somehow reminded me of "Hotel California"....

[ July 30, 2004, 01:02 AM: Message edited by: Mabus ]

Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
Mean Old Frisco - Neil Young doesn't suck. Sorry.

As for the rest of this thread, this is by no means an exhaustive list of song's I'd put in a collection, just some things that I thought of while reading everyone else's suggestions.

Eagles' "Desperado"
The Band "Stage Fright", "Up On Cripple Creek"
Otis Redding "Dock of the Bay"
The Who "Behind Blue Eyes"
Neil Young "The Needle and the Damage Done" or "Old Man"
Elton John "Tiny Dancer", "Burn Down The Mission", or "Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me"
The Doors "Unknown Soldier", "The Spy", "Roadhouse Blues", or "Waiting for the Sun"
Gordon Lightfoot "Don Quixote", "If You Could Read My Mind", or "Cherokee Bend"
Janis Joplin "Summertime", or "Mercedes Benz"

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheClone
Member # 6141

- posted      Profile for TheClone   Email TheClone         Edit/Delete Post 
About the Beatles/Age thing, I think that some people just have their music taste corrupted before giving the Beatles a fair chance.

Luckily, I started liking the Beatle's earlier stuff when I was 9 (I'm only 15 now), and slowly worked my way up. Now it's all on my playlist.

Posts: 87 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

- posted      Profile for Cashew   Email Cashew         Edit/Delete Post 
Led Zeppelin "Dazed and Confused"
Jimi Hendrix "All Along the Watchtower"
Allman Brothers "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed" (live at the Fillmore version)
Cream "Crossroads"
Jethro Tull "Locomotive Breath"
Neil Young "Like a Hurricane" or "Cortez the Killer"

Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
Uriah Heep Stealin
Foghat Slow Ride
The Spencer Davis Group Gimme Some Lovin
Lynyrd Skynyrd Simple Man , Tuesday's Gone and of course the everpopular Freebird
Can't forget The Moody Blues Nights In White Satin , Ride My SeeSaw and I'm Just a Singer (In a Rock and Roll Band)

Edit to add; Thin Lizzy Cowboy Song

[ July 30, 2004, 07:00 AM: Message edited by: punwit ]

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, lordy! Of course Freebird has to be in there!
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
psst... punwit! With The Moody Blues you're really beginning to give away your age.....

[Wink]
FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

psst... Farmgirl, tomorrow I'll be even older.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

So Annie, give us the completed list please.
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I could only fit three onto the list I gave you yesterday.

Here it stands:

1. Rock You Like a Hurricane - Scorpions
2. Hush - Deep Purple
3. Soul Kitchen - The Doors
4. Magic Carpet Ride - Steppenwolf
5. White Room - Cream
6. For What It's Worth - Buffalo Springfield
7. Carry On Wayward Son - Kansas
8. Black Magic Woman - Santana
9. Baba O'Riley - The Who
10. Purple Haze - The Jimi Hendrix Experience
11. Free Bird - Lynyrd Skynyrd
12. Janie's Got a Gun - Aerosmith
13. Layla - Derek, Eric Clapton & The Dominos
14. Dreams - Fleetwood Mac
15. Crazy On You - Heart
16. Sweet Child O' Mine - Guns N' Roses
17. Learning to Fly - Pink Floyd.

Thanks for everyone's input. [Smile] I've been listening to the playlist non-stop since I created it.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and here is the album cover I designed for it.

(That's at least half the fun of making a CD)

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
VERY cool, Annie.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.