FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Mark Hacking charged with Lori Hacking's murder (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Mark Hacking charged with Lori Hacking's murder
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Also, did anyone notice that Mark himself was the first to bring up parallels between his wife's disappearance and the Laci Petersen case? He knew the spotlight would be on him.

Now he's obviously a complicated individual, but I all the reports I have seen point to him being pretty well collected until after the investigation began.

There was an article implying the interest in this case is due to media favoring whites. But Lori was part Hispanic. I think it's because the last name is "Hacking". Hello.

Hmmmm. Well, then, there's at least one other parallel with the Peterson case - Laci Peterson was also part Hispanic. However, in both cases, the couples appear to be young, upwardly mobile, and physically attractive according to current standards of attractiveness. I think that has a lot to do with all the media interest.

I'll just warn all of you in the SLC area. Get ready for it: the publicity isn't going to go away any time soon. The Peterson case is local to my area - it happened about an hour or so up the road from where I am, but is considered "local" because of TV coverage areas and the fact that Amber Frye, the girlfriend, is local.

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Why didn't I concur? I should have concurred!

I did watch the featurette about the real dude.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Broker's assistant - so I'm not sure what exactly that entails.

I have to admit, the case is fascinating in and of itself - in a clinical, slightly morbid manner.

And other people have noted the media spotlight on Peterson and Hacking - whereas non-whites don't get the same air time.

Which, I think, is overly simplistic.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
I can only imagine the gut-wrenching sorrow if my husband was murdered and on top of that I was the top suspect. That has gotta suck big time. But of course, if the guy is guilty.... It's just so hard to know.
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

It's unfortunate, but it happens often enough the cops have reasonable justification for looking at family and friends first before moving outward.

People get angry when cops pursue that line of investigation, but from the outside looking in - you may know you're not guilty, but the cops can't know that until they start to investigate.

Of course, it's always easier to be dispationate when you're not the one being looked at.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
There's more evidence: http://www.cnn.com/2004/LAW/08/03/hacking/index.html
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
That is such a tough situation.

I am finding myself wondering if Mark is sterile? Maybe a discovery of pregnancy incited jealous rage.... Oh the drama of speculation.

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"I have no idea what his mental status is," Yocom said about the alleged witness.
How can someone be an alleged witness?
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmmm...

the article portrays him as a "devout Mormon" but then it mentions on the video he is seen buying cigarettes...

..that's a little out of place.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been following the story in the Deseret News. To all appearances he was a devout Mormon. His family are practicing, devout members. His cigarette habit was on the sly. One more lie to add to the growing pile.

I feel great sympathy for the families. They have lost their daughter, but can hope of reuniting in Heaven afterward. Their son maybe lost forever.

Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

PSI - they haven't verified the information or the source of the information.

I could run around saying I saw the Great Pumpkin crawl through a window and eat my roomie's cat, but until it could be verified, I would be the "alleged witness."

It's not unheard of for people to fabricate statements in an effort to sway the evidence for or against, depending on their own bias.

-Trevor

Wendybird
Member # 84

For updated info you can check with The Deseret News
Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.tribnet.com/news/story/5301491p-5239297c.html

I thought of this local case due to the mention of non-white vs white media coverage. I was surprised ther was not much national media attentio. Of course, there won't be a trial here.

Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
You're probably right, Trevor, but for the sake of argument, I would say that if you were saying you saw the Great Pumpkin, then you wouldn't be an alleged witness because either you saw it, or saw the place where it wasn't. At best I might call you a lying witness. That doesn't make much sense but give me a break, I'm sick.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendybird
Member # 84

TM-- the Deseret News is reporting that it was his brothers that he confessed to and they notified the police.
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
I read that as a headlining story off of a CNN, Drudge, or GoogleNews on the day it happened, romanylass. Possibly it was on other news services as well, but I only felt the need to read it once (and I'm also sure that what I read wasn't from the site you linked to).

So I'm not sure what your "non-white vs white media coverage" is about. The perpetrator is known&dead, everybody involved with the story died; no mystery. There just isn't anything there to give the story more than a day's coverage.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Wendy - yep, I read the article as well as other updates. I wish I could be surprised.

PSI - I suppose it depends on who said "alleged witness." According to Webster's, "alleged" has several definitions, including:

quote:
accused but not proven or convicted
So someone decided to be hyper-accurate in specifying a witness has claimed, but the information has not been verified. Using the "alleged" qualifier on a witness can either be used to create a sense of distrust of the witness' credibility or to literally specify the witness testimony is uncorroborated at this point.

As to the "white versus non-white" coverage, there has been several allegations that crimes against whites draw more media attention and therefore more police attention than crimes against non-whites.

-Trevor

aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
As expectable, Mark Hacking chooses to take center stage.
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Gah! This guy is bizarre. I mean, he TOLD the police where to look for her body, didn't he?
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.