FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » In which state of the U.S....arcanely trivial minutia (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: In which state of the U.S....arcanely trivial minutia
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
*ding ding*
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
It is Arkansas.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Since Hobbes already asked a question, I'll steal his turn.

Six flags over Texas -- what are those six flags?

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Texas state flag, USA, France, Mexico, Spain, and the Confederate States of America.

[ August 04, 2004, 11:49 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

What state split in two after joining the Union?
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
w00t.

Umm, let's see here...

James Bowie was born in this state.

[EDIT: Or I could just get distracted by my Dad watching a taped stage from le Tour and leave the box open then go to all the trouble of finding a question only to see my turn stollen. [Grumble] ]

Hobbes [Smile]

[ August 04, 2004, 11:55 PM: Message edited by: Hobbes ]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I'm going to have to correct you on that answer, katharina. The six flags are the six national flags that have flown over Texas. It's the Texas National flag. It just happens to look identical to the current Texas state flag.

[ August 04, 2004, 11:55 PM: Message edited by: mr_porteiro_head ]

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What state split in two after joining the Union?
Virginia/ W. Virginia

quote:
James Bowie was born in this state.

Kentucky
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

But when you fly it now, it's the Texas state flag. I'm looking at it right now - it's the state flag.

[Razz] Don't be petty.

rivka
Member # 4859

Am I supposed to wait to be told if I'm right? Or do I just post a new trivia question?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

- posted      Profile for Suneun   Email Suneun         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure the VA one is right without checking. Go ahead and post a question
Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

'k. [Smile]

What state song is adaptable to any place with a two or three syllable name?

Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Louis Louis - whoah, ohhh, oh
we gotta go . . .

yah, yah, yah, yah . . .

oh sorry - that's right - it never really did become a state song . . . [Razz]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
Don't be petty.
[Frown] Well, if I have to. [Frown]
Hobbes
Member # 433

You're rigt with Kentucky too Rivka. [Smile]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh Christmas Tree.

At least I think that is the song. And you hear it as "Oh Iowa, Oh Iowa" and a couple of other states have the same tune.

Farmgirl
(my kids used to have a CD with all the state songs/facts on it)

(or, if you are a girl scout, you hear the tune as "Oh Tommy Toad, oh Tommy Toad, why did you hop onto the road?")

[ August 05, 2004, 08:52 AM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it New York?
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lost Ashes
Member # 6745

- posted      Profile for Lost Ashes   Email Lost Ashes         Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of Louie, Louie... which state officially had that as their state song for a short time????
Posts: 472 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
It must be Tennessee. They've had about a hundred state songs. [Razz]
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Washington State!

Where can you find Craters of the Moon?

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
On the moon!

Or in Idaho, if you're low on cash.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Which was the first state to elect a woman to congress?
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lost Ashes
Member # 6745

- posted      Profile for Lost Ashes   Email Lost Ashes         Edit/Delete Post 
Utah?
Posts: 472 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

nope nope!
Hobbes
Member # 433

Well Wyoming was the first state to give women the vote so I'll just guess that. Wyoming?

Hobbes [Smile]

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Montana was first

FG
Gotta come up with a question

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Good work FG. I am so sly. You gotta love Montana's pacifist Jeanette Rankin - the only congress member to vote against entering WWII.
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Which states form the "militia corridor"? (Three states that have the largest active militia groups)

Farmgirl

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

What?!!!?? Did I kill the thread?

Hint: check out this link so we can move on!

FG
(I was just trying to find something obscure)

[ August 05, 2004, 11:37 AM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

Hobbes
Member # 433

It hasn't even been half an hour FarmWoman, I wouldn't worry about it dying at this point. [Smile]

Hobbes [Smile]

katharina
Member # 827

And your question sparked another thread. [Smile]

Shameless plug: http://www.hatrack.com/ubb/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=2&t=026424#000002

rivka
Member # 4859

There has yet to be a correct answer to my question. [Big Grin] Or at least, not that I know of . . . I have no idea what the state song of Iowa is, or what it sounds like.

[ August 05, 2004, 11:45 AM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

(I want to change my screen name to what Hobbes is caling me now -- but I can't.)

(oh crap! I went over my 3,000 post count I was saving!)

FG

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

rivka - http://www.50states.com/songs/

Tannenbaum -- that is the tune that I called "Oh Christmas Tree" above.

Farmgirl

dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
State Song of Iowa

I didn't even know we had one until I googled it.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Iowa and Michigan use the same tune. I think there was one other - three -- total that use that tune. That is why it was my guess initially rivka.

Farmgirl

PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Not Georgia! Theirs is "Georgia on my Mind". Only because it's a cool enough state that people write songs about it. States like Iowa have to use "Tannenbaum" because, well, it's IOWA. [Big Grin]

Actually, this reminds me of a funny thing. My friend Michelle recently studied in Italy and met a nice young man there who was a nut about the U.S. She was visiting his house and his bedroom was plastered with American paraphenalia, including a giant map of, of all places, the state of Iowa. In halting English he pointed to it and asked Michelle, "You...you like Iowa?"

She said, "I guess...but, I mean, why Iowa?"

He looked confused until she said, "If you're going to pick a favorite state, let me tell you that you shouldn't bother with the ones in the middle. The good ones are all along the borders."

[ August 05, 2004, 12:12 PM: Message edited by: PSI Teleport ]

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
And a very Merry Christmas to you, as well.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Just so you know, Dana, I was kidding. My husband's family lived in Iowa for a long time and he was born there. [Big Grin]
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Well, New Jersey claims it's their state song that fits the bill. [Dont Know]
Annie
Member # 295

FG, I'm going to guess Montana, Idaho, and... um... Wyoming.
Annie
Member # 295

If that's not right, then maybe they're the "Aryan nations corridor."

Funny story on that note:

I was in charge of the Montana booth in the "Parade of States" at National FFA Convention in 1999. (Don't laugh! 50,000 hicks is no laughing matter!)

A couple members and their advisor from Mississippi (the great thing about FFA events is that everyone has their location written across the back of their jacket and their name on the front) came up and were asking me about Montana. I had all kinds of info on our crops and ag economy, but then the advisor asked, "Do y'all got them Aryan nation groups up there?"

"Um, yeah, a few," I answered, embarrassed.

"This guy here," he indicated one of his students, "plans to join 'em."

Indeed. He had the confederate belt buckle and everything. I toyed briefly with the idea of sending them over to my friend Seth, the Idaho state president down the aisle, but them I decided it wasn't appropriate to laugh it off.

"Well, that's too bad," I said. "That type of mentality goes against everything this organization we represent stands for."

They left without saying much else.

Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh. While all the rest of the states only have one song, Tennessee has FIVE. Beat that. [Razz]

edit: okay, so montana has two and west virginia has three. still.

[ August 06, 2004, 01:43 AM: Message edited by: Rappin' Ronnie Reagan ]

Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.