FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Happy Birthday Bob! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Happy Birthday Bob!
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
CONGRATS BOB!

Just remember, you are not as old as you look...

wait...

Your not as young as you feel...

no, that's not right either.

How about, Hey, its Bob Oldpatz?

Well, you know what I'm trying to say. [Evil Laugh]

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Dan,
That's SpongeBob Oldpantz to you.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Well...this is a wonderful thread. Thank you all for the good wishes. I'm tempted to say that this thread has made this the best birthday ever, but that would be a lie.

It is, in fact, the best birthday ever, but for an entirely different reason. Which I really should make you guess at.

But ...

<spoiler alert>

I won't.

dkw is HERE! I'm on a business trip 11 hours from Iowa, and she DROVE HERE!!!

Yes! Right here! She's chuckling as I write this.

She's easily amused.

She must love me or something.

Now top THAT for the best birthday ever!

Oh yeah, this was a total surprise. I was sitting on the toilet and someone pounded on the door. I was like "oh cr@p!" And I yelled "what is it!"

Someone says "package for you."

So, I get decent and open the door to find...

DANA!

Oh, and gifts!

[Big Grin]

[Party]

(oh, she didn't pound on the door. It was more of a rapping, gently tapping on my chamber door.)

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, how sweet!

You guys make me all happy-mushy. [Smile]

Happy Birthday Bob!

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL] [ROFL] [ROFL] [ROFL]

I am betting that as good as it has been so far...

It will get better...

shortly.

[Evil]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
[The Wave]
Yay for you two!

Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
This is technically true, but any Bishop can give an exemption. In some diocese this is never done, in most it's done very, very, very rarely. I've heard of some where they're granted routinely, but maybe this is a Catholic urban myth.
Urban legend.

Or clergy breaking the rules.

I had a LOT of personal friends in the clergy (including a couple of bishops)--I almost was a member myself. And I could not get any kind of exception on this when I got married. What I was told was that this came specifically from the Vatican, and that the memos or whatever that the US Catholic Bishops had sent out were quite specific.

[ September 22, 2004, 10:56 PM: Message edited by: Icarus ]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

Happy Birthday again!

Now to go off-topic..

Tony and I are being married by a Catholic priest and not in a church. (In a garden, actually. [Smile] )

It's not going to be a catholic ceremony though - but we still had to write to the archbishop to get special permission for Father Mike to marry us.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

As you said, though, it's not a Catholic ceremony.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

Yeah. I didn't know if that made a difference (mine is not the catholic side of the union).

Still I thought it was interesting. And it was a very grovelling letter we had to send.

Icarus
Member # 3162

*nod*

I would think it makes a difference, because you're basically just using the priest as a Justice of the Peace.

As a non-Catholic, you must have really enjoyed having to grovel to get your officiant! [Big Grin]

[ September 22, 2004, 11:10 PM: Message edited by: Icarus ]

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I used to be Catholic, and basically they aren't very flexible on the wedding place thing. If you want a Catholic wedding, you get married in church. Period.

You barely get a say in the readings or vows -- there are alternates to select, but many priests will not allow you to write your own.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
I really really wanted to ask what Dana had planned for your birthday! i just knew she had to have something in the works! Yay for Dana!!

And Happy birthday again. [Smile]

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish you the most glorious birthday ever. Oh, Dana is already there? Well I don't have to wish anymore then do I? Happy Birthday Bob!!!

[Party]

[ September 24, 2004, 06:10 PM: Message edited by: punwit ]

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Well...I'm home from my trip. Dana should be home soon. I had such a good time!

This was the best birthday ever!

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.