FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Respect vs Validation: A Christmas Gift (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Respect vs Validation: A Christmas Gift
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
A quartz crystal grown in the southern hemisphere would not work in the northern hemisphere, or worst-case, would focus negative energy. It wouldn't go for much on e-bay.
Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Kohl's = Mervyn's.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I have no use for stores that don't sell anything electrically powered. Batteries don't count.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
It seems a little unfair of her to tell her exactly *why* she wants this particular gift, hence bringing about this moral dillemma. I mean, I love going to gemshops (I always swoon over the geode slices and bookends) but if someone told me they wanted a quartz crystal to perform New Age rituals, I'd be hesitant. She probably does, on some level, want you to share in her beliefs, but if you don't want to buy into it you shouldn't have to.

Get her a gift certificate to Romancing the Stone. [Big Grin]

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
THis is actually a more *genuine* crystal growing experiment kit.
http://www.hometrainingtools.com/catalog/chemistry/chemistry-kits/p_kt-crypkit.html

They leave out Alum though which I grew a pretty cool crystal out of one time when I was a kid.

oooh I love this guys site though it isn't available in the US.
http://www.crystalgrowing.com/xx_kits/xx_kits.htm

AJ

[ September 30, 2004, 02:35 PM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I meant to add something yesterday and time got away from me.

I personally just plain don't like the whole "This is what I want for Christmas get it for me" mentality anyway. I prefer to get someone a gift that I have thought about myself, and come up with after putting in the time and attention to choose something I think they will like, just because I like them.

Case in point - I told my husband that I wanted an anniversary band for our ten year anniversary. It was important to me, I really, really wanted a special ring signifying our love and lasting relationship. I got one. Just what I asked for. He bought it for me and he picked out the diamonds, but it was designed exactly as I asked it to be - one large stone in the middle, signifying our marriage and union, and two smaller stones on each side signifying our children. It's beautiful. I love it.

But I think I have an even softer spot for the ring he bought me years ago, surprising me one Christmas with an opal and diamond ring because he remembered me looking at a catalog once and remarking that opals were my favorite gemstone.

Does that make sense? I don't like giving people what they expect to get - I like giving them something special that says "I love you, and I care enough about you to put a lot of time and thought into this gift."

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

There was a big clump of snowflake looking crystal on our back porch when we moved into our prior house. I did use it for a bookend for a while. But when we sold the house, we decided to leave it for the next occupants.

You could follow Mrs. M's lead from the marriage thread and let your mom use your credit card to buy a gift for herself. [Wink]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Adrian, it makes complete sense. Something like...those types of gifts are unexpected and show that even when you aren't right there in front of them or talking to them, your loved one is thinking of you and of ways to show you that they are. It's great.

...and I want to know how AJ knew I also have big heeled boots to go with my outfit. [Eek!]

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
[Evil Laugh]
Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Pooka, Kohl's has electric things! Last time I was in there I saw a George Foreman grill. There are also coffee makers and toasters.

So there.

Jes won't let me go there, though. He's boycotting Kohl's and Mervyn's because they don't sell pants his size.

[ September 30, 2004, 04:30 PM: Message edited by: PSI Teleport ]

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the master
Member # 6788

- posted      Profile for the master   Email the master         Edit/Delete Post 
Icarus, I have done a lousy job of answering your questions. I was trying to hard to fit them to the current situation. I have had to think about the consistancy of my own behavior with reguard to religion.

While there would certainly be some discomfort in purchasing a Bible or a rosary for someone, it would be a pretty extreme case to make me feel I couldn't do it. Neither of these items require my belief in order to fulfill their intended purpose.

And you didn't answer my email. [Razz]

Posts: 157 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

Yes, I can't think of any religious accessories where I feel they would be more "potent" depending on who gave them to me. The closest thing might be a wedding ring, and I guess that is definitely the kind of message you want to avoid here.
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
We were getting TV commercials for Kohls all the time a while back. My wife and I had no idea what a Kohls even was, so I looked it up on the internet. I now know what they are, but I also discovered they have no stores within 200 miles of Orlando.

I think someone in their advertising department might have made a mistake on that one.

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I would tell her the following:

"Mom, I don't believe in any of your crystal stuff. I'm willing to buy you a wand, if you want, but I can't promise that it'll do anything for you; I'm probably the worst person in the world to pick one out. Is there something else I can help you buy, or maybe a favor I can do for you?"

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
My brother is an audiophile, and his beliefs regarding sound reproduction often border on the occult. For example: he believes that the acoustics of a room can be improved by the strategic placement of tiny blocks of wood. He also claims that he can hear the difference between various types of speaker wire.

He once gave me an expensive set of Audioquest speaker cables for Christmas. These cables are special because the wire is supposedly drawn from a single copper crystal. My brother's feelings were hurt when he visited my house and discovered that I wasn't using the cables (they were too short). I think my brother was trying to spark my interest in his hobby.

Not wanting the audiophile issue to be a continuing sore spot in my relationship with my brother, I try to keep up to date on the subject so that I know the jargon and can converse with him when we get together.

I think people pursue these esoteric interests because it makes them feel special, knowing something that isn't known by the masses. The problem is that it's a lonely place to be.

I try to find common ground with my brother by sharing audio recordings with him and attending the annual trade show with him. Perhaps common ground can also be found with new-age enthusiasts...talk about dream interpretation or something.

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe give her the Harry Potter series.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
Can I just say that I love my sister? I called her just now and her suggestion was that she get "the stupid thing" so I don't have to worry about it.
Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.