FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Help celia clean out her closet (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Help celia clean out her closet
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
lol, I'm planning on making a vulgar quilt eventually. I've mentioned it before on hatrack. The playboy rabbit and the mudflap girl will be incorporated into the pattern. I'm just deciding how subtle or obvious I want it to be and we have to get our bedroom painted first so that I don't pick clashing colors.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
If the playboy bunny and the mudflap girl are vulgar then one of my old dorm t-shirts would be better described as "completely obscene and disgusting."
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

- posted      Profile for CStroman   Email CStroman         Edit/Delete Post 
First thing to clean out are all those skeletons in there....

I know...bad sense of humor... [Frown]

Posts: 1533 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually CS, you are probably not far off the mark with celia. [Wink]
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peter the bookie
Member # 3270

- posted      Profile for peter the bookie           Edit/Delete Post 
pff...i store my skeletons in other people's closets. duh.
Posts: 318 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

Heh. They'll still trace 'em back to you. Don't you watch CSI?
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peter the bookie
Member # 3270

and i'd like to just mention that i love my life. i love that my big dilemas are on the order of what gifts to buy people and my needs for advice are on the order of culling material possessions.

that is fiction designed to make you feel better about the competence of law inforcement. [Razz] and even if it's not, i always wear my special tick gloves, which have your fingerprints.

[ October 08, 2004, 01:21 PM: Message edited by: peter the bookie ]

Posts: 318 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

What we really want to know is where she stores her soul collection.
Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peter the bookie
Member # 3270

decanter. [Evil]
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
There are several factors to consider when you are cleaning out your closets. Celia, do you have just the 1 clothes closet? What size is it? Do you have drawers? How many? What do you wear to work? Do you ever have to attend business meetings? What do you wear around the house? Do you attend religious services on a regular basis?

The general rule of thumb is that you should get rid of anything that you haven't worn in the past 2 years. However, that rule goes out the window if you buy classic clothes. For example, NEVER get rid of cashmere sweaters - they will always be in style.

The sock thing I can tackle without any further information. Unless you wear white sneakers to go to the gym every day and only do laundary every 3 weeks, 21 pairs of white socks is too many. Throw out any that are mismatched, faded or gray, or torn. Do you actually wear toe socks? I always like the idea, but my toes are so gnarled from being put en pointe too soon that they are hideously uncomfortable. I'm always happy to wear uncomfortable shoes, but not socks. I doubt you need 10 pairs. Do you have any trouser socks?

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Why Decatur?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Trouser socks?

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the term was "trouser snake". [Dont Know]
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
not decatur, decanter. crystal decanter because it's the best way to show off how the light plays off of them. i believe hobbes has seen said decanter and had it shaken at him.

quote:
Celia, do you have just the 1 clothes closet? What size is it?
Yes, and I share it with my husband. That works out to a 56" long hanger run with a shelf on top of that. The shelf is storage for all of my t-shirts as well as sweatshirts and fleece pullovers and anything else in that family of tops.

quote:
Do you have drawers? How many?
Yes.

(5) 30x16x5" drawers. 2 are socks/swimwear/undergarments, 1 is strictly pajamas (for all seasons and levels of company), and 2 jeans/pajama pants/pants of a casual variety.

I also have a smaller plastic set that I keep sweat pants and shorts in the top drawers and purses and scarves in the bottom drawer. and a certain disturbing birthday gift on top of.

quote:
What do you wear to work? Do you ever have to attend business meetings? What do you wear around the house? Do you attend religious services on a regular basis?
it really depends on what i'm doing that day. when i'm spending a lot of time in the lab, i tend towards pajama pants and t-shirts since i'm just going to destroy them. heavy class days or days i'll be doing more computer work i tend towards casual pants or jeans and slightly nicer tops, sometimes with collars. very occasionally, i will be attending something that requires business casual(conference attendance) or business dress (conference presentation). i would also like to believe that i'm not that far away from having to find a real job and might need to go on a few interviews starting next semester.

i tend to wear whatever i'm wearing that day around the house, unless i get soaked walking to the car or covered in grime in the lab. my weekend wear is the same as my school casual wear.

no. i only attend weddings, funerals and other misc. services.

we do occasionally go out to a nice dinner or attend semi-formal parties.

quote:
Do you actually wear toe socks? I always like the idea, but my toes are so gnarled from being put en pointe too soon that they are hideously uncomfortable. I'm always happy to wear uncomfortable shoes, but not socks. I doubt you need 10 pairs. Do you have any trouser socks?
i love my toe socks in the winter. they keep my feet really warm. i might own one pair of pointy shoes, but even those are only sort of pointy. i can't wear them with all my shoes, but my standard winter weather shoe is a black leather boot with a rounded toe. the boots keep my feet from getting wet and are high enough that i can generally keep the cuffs of my pants dry as well. i take them off in the building and put on my nice fleece slippers, which are also big enough to accomodate the toe socks. it may not be the most fashion forward look, but it keeps me from mucking snow and mud all over the building (especially the sterile areas), and keeps my feet warm and dry. [Smile]

edit: right, trouser socks. i do have some and i recently purchased new ones because mine are getting rather old and frayed.

[ October 08, 2004, 04:51 PM: Message edited by: celia60 ]

Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Side note:

After attending a Thanksgiving dinner once, a friend made the following comment:

"It's not that your family doesn't have any skeletons in the closet. It's that you don't have any closets."

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
Noemon, I am aghast.

The vapours are upon me; I must lie myself down.

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

you have trouser vipers? wicked!
Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure I'm OK with the thought of Sara having even one trouser snake, let alone several.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

[Angst]
BannaOj
Member # 3206

what are trouser socks?
*honestly has no clue*

AJ

celia60
Member # 2039

i'll show you mine.

yeah, that's right perverts, i did just say that. [Roll Eyes]

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I think they are the dressy thin ones like my mom wears with nice pants and shoes. Instead of wearing white socks.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

oh the thin kind that are absolutely worthless at keeping your feet warm?
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
And the ones that seem wet the first time your feet think about sweating?
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
yeah those, I think they mostly come in black and tan colors.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

"That dress makes you look like an illustration by that Edward something guy."

"Edward Gorey?"

"Yeah, that guy."

So I got rid of it. Along with a ton of other things that don't fit, don't get worn or aren't flattering.

I kept a bunch of baggy sweaters. Odd thing is, they were fitted last winter. I guess I'll be phasing them out slowly as I purchase new ones. This is not a place to be without sweaters in winter. And I didn't touch the t-shirt collection, I still have enough space to keep them for sentimental value even if I only actually wear a few of them.

The book that AJ brought was really helpful. Not just for getting rid of clothes, but for dressing room tips and style suggestions by body type. It was fun to take the illustrations and apply the concepts to both our bodies. Amazing that two women who're the same size look so different in the same clothes.

So thanks hatrack. Especially AJ. [Smile]

ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
I would so totally love a dress that made me look like an Edward Gorey illustration.

Other then that, sounds like you had a productive weekend. [Big Grin]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

It was funeral wear. It was also too big. I have another black dress, but I think it's too flashy for somber events, so I'm now in the market for a new one. Which seems like a very Gorey type of quest, finding funeral wear when nobody's died recently.
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
*grin* I remember shopping the first time I had to officiate at a funeral. The man who died was a member of the church I served, but had been out of state since I’d started, so I’d never met him. I was trying to find a blouse to wear with my black suit, and the salesladies kept trying to talk me into hot pink and/or low cut lacy things, so I explained that it was for a funeral. Then they got all solicitous and kept saying how sorry they were. They were scandalized when I pretty much shrugged off their condolences. So I explained that I didn’t even know the person in question. Then they tried to explain that I didn’t need to wear a black suit if the funeral was for someone I wasn’t close to. So I told them I was officiating. They pretty much gave up on me after that, but I found an appropriate shirt on my own.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

You have a non-skanky black skirt that you could wear with a dark colored blouse no problem to a funeral. But I don't think the black dress you have with the Mandarin collar is too dressy for a funeral. Funerals don't necessitate dowdiness.

Should have gotten a picture of the Edward Gorey dress for posterity though.

AJ

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.