FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Draft - Would You Go? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Draft - Would You Go?
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I'm totally unpatriotic. Right now, I'm on the best way to leave my country forever, not for a man, not for friends, but because I'd get paid well.
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was in high school I won an informal debate with the following argument, and surprisingly 20 years later, it still holds up.

"To all you ladies out there who say you will proudly go to serve our country, to be drafted into what ever military branch that needs you, and will valiantly serve in those necessary Non-combatant positions so as to free up able bodied men--like me--for duty in combat situations, situations where I can get wounded, hurt, and killed, well I'd like to say thank you.

I can't, but I'd really like to."

Would I serve? Probably.

Would I protest? Probably.

However much depends on the cause.

There are many causes for which I would die. There are very few (friends and family) for which I would kill.

I had a professor in college who was drafted, and turned down Officers Training School. He said he'd go out to die if he had too, but he would never order others to do so. The more I think about his noble act, the more cowardly I believe it was.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rubble
Member # 6454

- posted      Profile for rubble           Edit/Delete Post 
Dan_Raven,

Not only cowardly, but misguided as well. I can see the moral difference that your professor was trying to draw, but the reality is that it doesn't matter whether you're an officer or enlisted, you're going to be urging others to kill and die.

Posts: 270 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
My desire to choose non-combat first has nothing to do with "freeing up the position for men" or wanting them to be hurt. Men also have the OPTION of choosing non-combat positions.

I can shoot a gun as well as anyone. I'm just saying I would rather not. Not that I wouldn't if I wasn't given non-combat.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grigori
Member # 6917

- posted      Profile for Grigori   Email Grigori         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm already in, so I'm not worried about being drafted. I've been deployed to several countries, most of whom didn't care much for us. We (the military) spend a lot of time as the world police.

I don't know about 'spreading american ideals' though...

I thought Freedom, good health, and peace of mind were entitled to all human beings. As well as to defend oneself from those who would try and take those freedoms away.

Maybe I've just got the wrong view on all of this, being on the inside, looking out... But I see too many people talking about how wrong things are and too few doing anything positive about it.

It's your choice, to serve or not, to support those who serve, or not...

It's just a shame that so many who ask for so much do so little to earn it, much less appreciate it.

Posts: 23 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Permit me to point out, the Navy can be just as dangerous - if you get assigned to a ship and it takes a hit, you're going nowhere but straight down.

And it usually takes a Navy ship to generate fires hot enough to melt aluminum.

I'd sign up for the Army and aim for a medic unit if possible, mostly for the training and knowledge, but I wouldn't shy away from a combat unit which is where I probably would end up.

As for encouraging others to fight and die - you don't have many options available to you when you're under the gun. More times than not, I am told, you're returning fire because the little bastard at the other end of the field is doing his damndest to kill you.

How does that phrase go? "You're not here to die for your country. Any fool can do it. You're here to make the other fellow die for his."

And ladies, let's hear it for women's lib. Equal rights, equal responsibility.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig avoiding landmarks
Member # 6792

- posted      Profile for Danzig avoiding landmarks           Edit/Delete Post 
Suddenly, instead of being an unwanted leech upon society, our government decides society does have a use for me after all. I think I will pass on this one; I care nothing for Iraqis and am not willing to die for them. Bush's war is not mine.
Posts: 281 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
You know the funny thing about my attitude re: the draft? Whenever I've thought about it, it hasn't been the thought of combat that has made me nervous. It's boot camp and PT. I hate the thought of anybody forcing me to get in shape, physically.
Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

- posted      Profile for J T Stryker   Email J T Stryker         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's just a shame that so many who ask for so much do so little to earn it, much less appreciate it
I agree with him...

I just got an e-mail from one of my friends who is currently over seas serving and to quote him,
quote:
I'm not worried about dieing, they'd have to learn to aim first, and I don't plan on giving them time to to that.
To sum up what he's said to me, The Iraqis who are shooting at us, are barly trained and the only way they ever get one of us is with traps, not by being good marksmen.
Posts: 1094 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Dead is dead.

The Viet Cong knew they couldn't go toe-to-toe with the US firepower, so they employed hit-and-run guerilla tactics and psych warfare.

A bomb will kill you just as surely as a well-trained, motivated soldier.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You know the funny thing about my attitude re: the draft? Whenever I've thought about it, it hasn't been the thought of combat that has made me nervous. It's boot camp and PT. I hate the thought of anybody forcing me to get in shape, physically.
That's an interesting view (and not terribly surprising, actually). It certainly sounds like boot camp is potentially more brutal than many jobs in the military (not sure how it compares to actual combat, though).

And actually, one major problem that I'd have with being in the military is that I have a strong dislike of rigid hierarchy and I don't like having my autonomy taken away. In fact, it's very likely I'd be kicked out (or shot!) for insubordination. I also probably wouldn't be mentally stable in such a situation and might be a danger to myself or others (especially a commander who might get me killed through incompetence). And I absolutely could never order other people do to anything that could get them killed. I didn't even like telling people to hurry up and finish their stories before the deadline back when I was yearbook editor.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a question about drafts, although it may be a dumb one.

It's this: If there was a draft and one person drafted dodged it, would they draft someone else to replace the person who dodged it?

Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
Hee hee. Well, a girl in my company got a summons today, addressed to a guy who lived in her appartment before her. She calls them to say he doesn't live there anymore.

She (making fun of the situation): "You know, it says the police would come for him if he doesn't appear. I don't want the police to come and get my boyfriend instead"

Them (serious): "Are you crazy? You think if the police don't find who they're looking for, they'd take someone else with them?"

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

Flee to Canada to avoid the draft?

Heck, thousands are fleeing to Candad to get a freaking flu shot

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Haha! Without the vaccine, we'd better all be "draft dodgers" this flu season.

I would go if drafted. But I would bitch, bitch BITCH!

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
I would go, although I'd be more likely to have already signed up, as some others have already mentioned.

Heck, I can't guarantee I won't sign up as soon as I'm out of college, the only reason I haven't already is that I'd never make it to boot camp....my girlfriend of 3 years would kill me or hold me hostage...she has threatened to several times!

But seriously, I would go. The thought of dodging would never even cross my mind.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

Phone call from when I was in high school:

Recruiter--"Hello, this is Sargeant Randall, recruiter for the US Army. Is Dan in?"

My mother--"I'm sorry sargeant Randall, my son wouldn't make a good soldier."

Recruiter--"um, why is that?"

My Mother--"He wouldn't be able to march with his broken legs."

Rerutier--"He broke his legs? When did that happen."

My Mother--"The moment he tries to sign your enlistment papers I plan on breaking them. Thank you. Good day." Click.

Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd go and so would Andrew. Andrew actually wanted to join the Air Force when he was younger, but they don't let 6'5'' color-blind guys into the Armed Forces.

I wonder if he would be allowed to serve in a non-combat capacity, though? He's trained in logic and could do code-breaking. One of his logic professors actually did that during WWII.

Andrew's dad worked for the DOD during Vietnam - they recruited him because he's a freakishly smart physics and engineering guy.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FoolishTook
Member # 5358

- posted      Profile for FoolishTook   Email FoolishTook         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Maybe I've just got the wrong view on all of this, being on the inside, looking out... But I see too many people talking about how wrong things are and too few doing anything positive about it.
:applauds: Well said.
Posts: 407 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.