FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Stranger in a strange land (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Stranger in a strange land
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
(((newfoundlogic)))
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AmkaProblemka
Member # 6495

- posted      Profile for AmkaProblemka   Email AmkaProblemka         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't vote straight ticket. I'm pretty sure some of my neighbors would have been scandalized. I'm going to reregister as independant.

Very very interesting exit poll question:

Candidate 1 is of your party and supports your political positions, but has been linked with scandals. Candidate 2 is not of your party and holds political positions that you oppose, but is known to be a person of high moral integrity.

What do you do?
vote for candidate 1
vote for candidate 2
write in
don't vote

I'd like to add an extra caveat. Assume both candidates are equally qualified. What would you do?

Posts: 438 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
I was #144 at 2:30. Small town...

There hasn't been a local candidate for Democrat elected in 30 years. I'm definitely a stranger in a strange land here... [Smile]

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

For me, it would depend on the scandal. If it's something like stealing, committing a serious crime, etc., etc., then I would probably not vote or write in. On the other hand, if it's the sort of sensationalist scandal that announces that the candidate's friend's brother's second cousin's neighbor's dog is gay (or is promiscuous, etc., etc.), then I probably would vote for the candidate whose positions agreed with mine.

For me, the first type of scandal demonstrates a disregard for the law. The second type of scandal is just sensationalism designed to horrify people, but in actuality reflects little on how the candidate would do their job in elected office. YMMV, though.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

(((plaid)))
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
[Group Hug] For all "closet" Republicans/Democrats.
Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm voting for Kerry in Nebraska. I lived in NY from birth until I was 22, when I moved to CA, and only have been in NE for a couple months, so theres that at least.

Plus my girlfriend, her parents, and my roommate are voting for Kerry as well.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Candidate 1 is of your party and supports your political positions, but has been linked with scandals. Candidate 2 is not of your party and holds political positions that you oppose, but is known to be a person of high moral integrity.

What do you do?

Good question! I'd most likely vote for Candidate 1. Even if the other guy is honest, he'll honestly go about establishing policies I don't like. Candidate one may be less than honest, but he'll represent my views. Hopefully the press could help keep him honest.
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.