FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What do you REALLY think of OSC? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What do you REALLY think of OSC?
Lost Ashes
Member # 6745

- posted      Profile for Lost Ashes   Email Lost Ashes         Edit/Delete Post 
As host here, he's been both incredibly generous and incredibly tolerant.

On the personal level, I live in the same town he does, but have never had the luck to meet him. A fellow could probably look him up and show up on his doorstep one day, but that's a bit too fanboy and creepy for my tastes.

Locally, though, if you bring his name up, folks are pretty proud of him making his home here.

Posts: 472 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
What I think of him? I think that he is a much more talented author than I will probably ever be, and from all accounts is a kind person. His wife, from what little I've seen of her, seems like a genuinely good person, and I like his son quite a bit (not that I know him in real life or anything--it's just from the forums that I know Geoff); both of these things support what I've heard of his being a good person. I dislike his political essays, more for the tone than for the content, although I can't say that I agree with the content very often either.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
If you reverse his initials, it's CSO, which almost like CSI, which is a show.

That I don't watch, but it's still a show.

And that's cool.

Yeah. [Cool]

Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
There's this whole book called "Ender's Game"...

There's a package waiting outside on the steps.

I wonder if what's in it uses dry ice. o_O

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Oooooh, maybe your sandwich came!
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gnixing
Member # 768

- posted      Profile for gnixing   Email gnixing         Edit/Delete Post 
talk about a thread for postwhores...
Posts: 494 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw a sign that said "OCS" the other day, next to the railway for the O-Train (which is Ottawa's expensive and not-very-useful city train). I don't know what OCS means, but I thought it would be funny to go switch the letters in the middle of the night. Then I thought how hard it would be to actually get there in the middle of the night, and that temperatures are below freezing in the middle of the night at this time of year, and that it would be alot of work to actually modify the sign so it would look good, and that i had no idea how to do it, and that I really didn't care that much, so I gave up on the idea almost as soon as I had thought of it.

Still, it would have been cool.

[ November 12, 2004, 09:21 PM: Message edited by: digging_holes ]

Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I admire him a lot as a writer and as a person. I've never met him, but from all accounts, he seems to be a good and honorable man. I don't agree with everything he's said, but nevertheless, reading his writings have made me want to be a better person.

Of course, I'd like him a lot more if he came to Alaska. C'mon, Goodman and Goody Card. Forty-nine states! You're so close! Just one more to go! What are you waiting for? Just one little book signing, that's all we ask. And I can promise you a wonderful meal, if you forget about all those restaurants and go to my parents' house. In my family, we dip our bread in olive oil. . . .

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
(which is Ottawa's expensive and not-very-useful city train)
Haahahahahahaha...

It's so true.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crystal
Member # 5437

- posted      Profile for Crystal   Email Crystal         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Of course, I'd like him a lot more if he came to Alaska
I did get to meet him once in Portland, but if he did ever come up here for a signing I'd definately be there!
Posts: 70 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
There, see? That's two of us. That's like, what, 100% of Hatrack's Alaskan population? There you have it. 100% of Alaskan Hatrackers desire an Orson Scott Card book signing here in the Last Frontier. Mr. Card, how can you refuse such overwhelming support?
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
Sigh. I'll never reach the required post count for a gift. Though I really should get one for being here so long and not having a high post count [Wink] I think I've been here since 97.....

I miss you all! Working is really getting in the way of my online time [Angst]

(edit) Wow! I just realized I hit my 500 mark [Party] Maybe I'll hit a 1000 in another 7 years [Monkeys]

[ November 13, 2004, 06:21 PM: Message edited by: Wendybird ]

Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
::envies Wendybird's superior member number:: [Grumble]

[ November 14, 2004, 07:46 AM: Message edited by: Yozhik ]

Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I don't know what OCS means
Stands for Old Church Slavonic. Didn't you read Enchantment?
Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still awaiting my present too...

I guess the sandwich meat wouldn't travel too well airmail.

Oh well, roll on 5000.

[ November 14, 2004, 07:54 AM: Message edited by: imogen ]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm here because I have to spy on you.

See, the CIA wants to monitor all potentially seditious organizations. Every once in a while they send me an e-mail and order me to assassinate one of y--I mean, I'm here because I love the community! [Monkeys]

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I saw a sign that said "OCS" the other day, next to the railway for the O-Train (which is Ottawa's expensive and not-very-useful city train). I don't know what OCS means...
OCS is the company that created Robocop in the movie, Robocop.
Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
No, that was OCP. And I don't see why they would have an old white-on-green sign beside the O-Train either.
Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vv009vV
Member # 2568

- posted      Profile for Vv009vV   Email Vv009vV         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been here for three years and I have yet to break 100 posts. mainly, because I enjoy lurking.

I can't tolerate OSC's politics. But seriously, HOW GOOD IS ENDER'S GAME??? quite good.

-EDS

Posts: 92 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dean
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for dean   Email dean         Edit/Delete Post 
I never visit, read, or post. I just wondered if my post count was going up in my absence, and couldn't find a way to tell without posting something.
Posts: 1751 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, it's dean! Where's Mikey?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I like OSC's fiction. What else matters?
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
I think OSC's good people.

I have an admiration for his ability to teach as well as his writing skill. The few times that I've observed him, or listened to him, or spoken with him, I've always felt I had his attention and interest. It's a real gift, that-- to be able to take interest in the people you meet.

No matter where he is or what situation he's in, I feel that OSC is a good host. He was certainly generous with our Boot Camp class; ditto with the time he spends in signing books. (A bit too generous-- we were there 4 hours, and had to leave before we got to meet the guy. Alas.)

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.