FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hatrack Annual gift to First Book: current total $335.58 (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Hatrack Annual gift to First Book: current total $335.58
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I just came up with another possibility.

The Children of Ethiopia Education Fund , link, provides scholarships for girls to attend school. I hadn't mentioned them earilier, because they ask that sponsor commit to support girls until they graduate from high school. I just found out, that they are assisting the local community in Koka (150km from Addis) in building their first school.  They are currently raising funds to help build and staff this school, the "Turri Gefersa Children of Ethiopia Community School".  Anybody who would like to donate to the KOKA School fund can send the checks to COEEF and designate "KOKA School" on their checks.  They have already raised over 18,000birr ($2,080) which will build 2 buildings!!  The local people are doing most of the labor and have donated over 2,500birr of their own money, and many building materials, so it is a joint effort.  Mulu Seifu is donating the land to build the school.

Rich and I sponsor several girls through COEEF, its a great program run by some very dedicated people.

I still like the idea of donating to First Book, but this seemed like another really good option. Our money would go a long way in Koka Ethiopia.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
It looks like the consensus is to make a contribution as a group to "First Book"

We will handle this just like we did last year. You can send your contribution to me through paypal before Dec. 27, and I will make one donation dedicated to The Hatrack River Forum. If that doesn't work for you, you can go directly to First Book and dedicate your donation to Hatrack River.

To send your money to me, go to www.paypal.com and set up an account. You will have to provide a credit card number and a bank routing number. After you have done this, paypal will make two small deposits to your account. You then have to enter information about those deposits to validate your account. This is relatively simply if your bank has online access to your account information. If it doesn't, you may have to wait for a statement. I will keep a tally of all the donations made and make a report.

If you can't get access to paypal, make your contribution directly to First Book. Dedicate the donation to Hatrack River and send an e-card to HatrackForum@yahoo.com. Include the amount you donated in the e-card so that I can include it in the total.

Last year, we were able to donate over $600. Let's see if we can do it again.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
The email address in your profile is the one we send the PayPal payment to?
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

Yes, Send the payments to the e-mail address in my profile.
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks again for doing this Rabbit!!!
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
If we're donating directly to First Book, how do we dedicate it?
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
*bump* I really need an answer to this.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

To make a donation, dedicated to the Hatrack River Forum, go to this page

Hit donate now and there will be a box where you can write in the dedication information and later a place where you can send an e-mail.

[ December 01, 2004, 12:32 PM: Message edited by: The Rabbit ]

The Rabbit
Member # 671

We are off and running, with $65 dollars in the pool.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

New Total -- $95
The Rabbit
Member # 671

New Total: $120
The Rabbit
Member # 671

bump to keep this on peoples minds
The Rabbit
Member # 671

yet another bump
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
What was the total amount we raised last year? wasn't it like $500?

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
<just sent in her gift via paypal> Rabbit, just verifying here to be sure you get it.

Oh, yeah, AJ, I think it was almost $600.

[ December 03, 2004, 12:33 PM: Message edited by: Tatiana ]

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

Yes Anne Kate, I got your donation through paypal, along with one more.

The new total is $150!!

Last year we donated over $600: $545 dollars that went through me and an additional 55+ dollars that was donated directly to First Book dedicated to the Hatrack River Forum. The + is because I didn't get a dollar amount on some of the donations made directly to First Book.

The Rabbit
Member # 671

bump
The Rabbit
Member # 671

Don't wait until the last minute
The Rabbit
Member # 671

Don't miss out on the opportunity to join with you Hatrack friends in doing something good.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

New Total: 153.58
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Someone donated three dollars and 58 cents?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Nah, that was from the last 5 donations. [Wink]

Seriously, The Rabbit, thank you for doing this and keeping it in front of us. I haven't donated yet, will check to see if my paypal account is still active tonight when I get home.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
Someone donated three dollars and 58 cents?
People donate what they can. Last year, I thought it was the coolest thing. Somepeople donated alot, some donated a little, but in the end we had donated over $600 as a group -- much more than any individual. The multiplier effect is wonderful. Everyone pitches in what they they can and when we add it all up, we've done something bigger as a group than any of us can or would do individually.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

Please, everybody join us. No contribution is too small.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

bump
FriendlyNeighborhoodWitch
Member # 6317

- posted      Profile for FriendlyNeighborhoodWitch   Email FriendlyNeighborhoodWitch         Edit/Delete Post 
How do we make sure with the link above that it is logged so that way we can track it in with the total from Hatrack?
Posts: 44 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

If you send the donation to First Book, there is a place where you can dedicate the donation to Hatrack River Forum. You will then have an opportunity to send an e-mail. Send it to HatrackForum@yahoo.com. Put the amount you donate in the e-mail and I will add it to the total.
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm waiting till I get my bonus from work this weekend, but I'm so excited!
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

I just go some more contributions!!

New Total: 223.58

The Rabbit
Member # 671

bump
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Jenni and I get paid next weekend, and we will send our donation then.

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Rabbit, I hate doing the credit card/Paypal thing... any chance I could send you a check instead?
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
You can have Paypal deduct directly from your checking account -- I do.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

Update: New total 253.58.

plaid, If you want to send a check, send it directly to First Book and dedicate the donation to Hatrack. If you don't like that route, send me an e-mail and I will e-mail you my address.

The Rabbit
Member # 671

Don't wait until the last minute!
The Rabbit
Member # 671

bump
BelladonnaOrchid
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for BelladonnaOrchid   Email BelladonnaOrchid         Edit/Delete Post 
Whee! Just made my donation!
Posts: 701 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

New Total: 268.58
The Rabbit
Member # 671

New Total: 310.58
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
When are you closing the donation? The end of the year, or on Christmas Day? (I'm trying to work out my holiday budget...)

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Rabbit, I just sent you a donation - I hope it's not too late.
Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

New Total: 335.58

I'll wait until Dec. 31 to make the donation so it's not to late.

rivka
Member # 4859

bump
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Two days left! Don't miss out on this exciting opportunity!
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

I just made the donation to First Book.

Here is a link to the card

card

The Rabbit
Member # 671

We didn't match last years total, but it has still been an awsome experience.

I have never met any of you in the flesh, and yet look at what we were able to accomplish together.

I am honored that you would trust me enough to send me money for this cause. It says something remarkable about the members of this forum and Hatrack community.

Thanks for adding to my wonderful Christmas with your generousity to poor children. I wish I could see some of these kids faces when they get their first book. Maybe someday a few of them will read some OSC book, come by the forum and join our community.

Let's plan to do it again next you. You guys are the greatest.

**Bonnie

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Bonnie for leading this effort again.

[The Wave]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, this is so cool! I think of it as getting future hatrackers addicted to reading. <laughs> An intelligently self-spreading disease. [Smile]
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*laugh* What ak said! [Big Grin]

Thanks for arranging it, Rabbit! [Smile]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.