FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hatrack Annual gift to First Book: current total $335.58 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Hatrack Annual gift to First Book: current total $335.58
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Last year we Hatrackers pooled our resources and donated ~$600 to First Book under the name "Hatrack Forum".

Is anyone interested in doing it again?

Should we donate to First Book again or pick a different charity this year?

Would you like me to collect the money through PayPal and make one big donation or should we just make individual donations dedicated to the Forum?

[ December 24, 2004, 11:09 PM: Message edited by: The Rabbit ]

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
This is an utterly cool idea. I wasn't here last year, but I would love to participate this year. And First Book seems to be the perfect place for us, since just about everybody here loves to read. Plus, we might be influencing future members. [Big Grin]
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
I like the idea of it being one big donation.
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Here is the link to last years thread.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, First Book seems to be the best choice for Hatrack, all things considered.
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I vote one big donation.

I also vote we at least explore the possibility of switching charities - if nothing else it'd be a good chance to learn about different charities and see which ones people consider worthwhile.

Although, of course nominations should be ones to non-political/non-controversial groups. [Smile]

Do we need our hosts permission/blessing to do something like this in Hatrack's name?

Dagonee

[ November 15, 2004, 12:51 PM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought this was a cool charity, especially for us gamer types. It buys age appropriate toys and games for sick children in several children's hospitals, and the hospitals themselves. It was set up by the guys at Penny Arcade in response to one of those 'gamers are lazy evil people' articles.

Not that I'm advocating switching charities, but Dag wanted to hear about some others. [Wink]

Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
I really like the First Book idea.
Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I really like First Book.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian J. Hill
Member # 5346

- posted      Profile for Brian J. Hill   Email Brian J. Hill         Edit/Delete Post 
I vote that we pool it as one big donation.
Also, I vote for First Book.
Also, we should probably see if we need our hosts' permission.

Posts: 786 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
I think First Book is a good choice as well. Sign me up!
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be in favor of a group donation to First Book again.

Rabbit, thanks for taking care of this! [Smile]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes!!! We should do this again! It doesn't really matter to me if we choose a new charity or go with First Book - I'm open to either.
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I would also be interested in doing this, and I think we should stick to a reading charity, as we all met through Hatrack.

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

I assume since we did the same thing last year and it was fine then, it should be fine now. Of course, there was the difficulty with Kama Con not being able to be called Hatrack Con, so I'm not positive. Someone could email Kristine and ask.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Last year the donation was by "the members of the Hatrack River Forum" (see the thank you card) -- seems like it should be ok to do it that way again, neh?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like an excellent plan to me. I'll be happy whether we stick with First Book or try a different charity that we can all agree on.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
My one thought is that while First Book sounds like a great charity, it seems rather trivial when things like genocide in Sudan are going on.
Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

So find a charity that helps victims of genocide in Sudan and suggest it for consideration.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
ICRC Sudan
Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

I don't think it is trivial at all.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

Don't get me wrong I think books are incredibly important for a variety of reasons, but people dieing in mass numbers is in my opinion something else entirely.

Edit to add: If everyone still wants to do First Books that's fine, I don't want to turn this into a nasty argument, I'm just giving everyone my two cents.

[ November 16, 2004, 02:04 PM: Message edited by: newfoundlogic ]

ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember last year someone had mentioned a charity where you would buy a kit - a goat for a family or rice to feed a family for a month or start-up costs for a small business.... I wish I could remember the name of the charity, but I thought it seemed pretty neat.

I think I was thinking of Mercy Kits, though Heifer International also looks really cool.

[ November 16, 2004, 02:10 PM: Message edited by: ludosti ]

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

Last year we decided to donate to a literacy project because books are what has brought us together as a community. It seems to me that if we make a contribution as a group, it should be to something that the represents the largest possible number of members.

Literacy may not be the most urgent of the world's needs, but it is important and is something that ties us together at Hatrack.

Kwea
Member # 2199

I agree...but don't worry, I don't think anyone will be offended if someone disagrees with that.

we are making the donation as a group, so we should decide as a group where it will go.

That being said, I vote for Literacy First, for the very reasons Rabbit mentioned above... [Big Grin]

Kwea

The Rabbit
Member # 671

bump
WishfulWiggin
Member # 6823

- posted      Profile for WishfulWiggin   Email WishfulWiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
I am most certainly interested in this. It sounds like a cool idea.

I would have to go with the Literacy First. As was mentioned before, it represents us as a group. If we start looking into other charities, an argument can result in which people are debating which cause is the most important. And that wouldn't be fun. [Frown]

And the one lump sum through paypal sounds like a really cool idea. Is there a charge for opening up a paypal account?

-liz

Posts: 208 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
*bump*
Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Rabbit, thanks for remembering this and volunteering to collect & disburse the money.

I like First Book -- it fit well with our group and isn't going to raise a bunch of controversy.

I'll donate to whatever the group decides is the "right thing" this year.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

quote:
If we start looking into other charities, an argument can result in which people are debating which cause is the most important.
I just always like to make sure my money is as well spent as possible so I just don't see any reason to settle on something less important just to avoid an arguement.

quote:
I like First Book -- it fit well with our group and isn't going to raise a bunch of controversy.

What exactly is controversial about funding the Red Cross's efforts in Sudan? Its not funding the rebels, its not funding an invasion of Sudan, its not funding the UN.

Its fine with me if everyone decides that First Book is more important for whatever reason (and there are plenty of good ones), that's your opinion and I won't argue with it. I just hope people won't decide on it because they want to avoid discussion on which charity could most use our money.

blacwolve
Member # 2972

All charities could use are money, that's not the issue. The issue is which charity fits us best as a group. We can't donate to all the worthy charities out there.
Lost Ashes
Member # 6745

- posted      Profile for Lost Ashes   Email Lost Ashes         Edit/Delete Post 
Might I suggest:

CARE

In light of the passing of Ms. Hassan as well as the organization's humanitarian efforts worldwide.

Posts: 472 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
I think we should do it again.
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

Its sounds like we have enough people interested to do this again. So far the nominees for our charity are:

First Book
CARE
ICRC Sudan
Mercy Kits
Heifer International
Child's Play

Let's continue to accept nominees until Tuesday and then we can vote to pick our Charity.

The Rabbit
Member # 671

bump
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
First book also has the benefit of addicti... um enticing future generations of hatrackers.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that First Book is an appropriate cause, but don't we all like to eat here, too? I think Heifer International is equally appropriate.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

I give a bit of money to several charities every year, btu none to reading programs, so I still think that Reading First would be my first choice. I understand that there are plenty of good chrrities out there, and plenty of needy families, but I think that we have to help people to read, because one of the best way to combat poverty in a long term manner is to increase their education levels....and without reading skills that is impossible.

Plus, it is what we did last year, so I am all for making this a Hatrack tradition.... [Big Grin]

Kwea

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
My vote would be for First Book or Heifer International, because both are of the "teach a man to fish" variety.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the idea of First Book, and the other ideas are great too. However, I don't know if I can even get into my Paypal account anymore. It's been well over two years since I have used it and policy on it has changed a few times to which I have not clicked the agreement stuff for. I could set up a new account.
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FriendlyNeighborhoodWitch
Member # 6317

- posted      Profile for FriendlyNeighborhoodWitch   Email FriendlyNeighborhoodWitch         Edit/Delete Post 
I would definitely contribute to a Hatrack charity this year. Didn't have the money to last year, but I'd be more than happy to this year.

My vote is for First Book-I usually donate to a charity that funds literacy for adults (can't remember the name off-hand), but First Book sounds cool to me.

It makes me hope that if I were in a situation where my family could not afford to buy me a book that someone gave me that gift, especially thinking about how much reading has effected my life over the years.

[ November 20, 2004, 11:26 PM: Message edited by: FriendlyNeighborhoodWitch ]

Posts: 44 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

No one seems to have nominated any new charities, so we will just vote on the ones already suggested.

First Book
CARE
ICRC Sudan
Mercy Kits
Heifer International
Child's Play

[ November 22, 2004, 09:04 PM: Message edited by: The Rabbit ]

rivka
Member # 4859

Are we voting in-thread or via email?
ElJay
Member # 6358

Um, and I don't see First Book on the list...
rivka
Member # 4859

Yikes! Indeed!
Cecily
Member # 5675

- posted      Profile for Cecily           Edit/Delete Post 
My vote is for First Book. Even though it's not on the list. [Big Grin]
Posts: 75 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

Sorry about that, First Book should have been at the top of the list but somehow vanished.

It is there now.

So far, the vast majority favor a donation to First Book. Unless there is a dramatic change before the end of the week, I will set things up for First Book.

rivka
Member # 4859

*still votes for First Book*

*wants to thank Rabbit again for all her hard work!* [Hail]

Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
I would also like to continue to donate to First Book. I also stumbled across this site: http://www.theliteracysite.com which apparently is either donating to or associated with First Book.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

I vote for First Book, for the reasons I already mentioned.

Kwea

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.