FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » is it legal to give a kid a swear word as a name? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: is it legal to give a kid a swear word as a name?
RackhamsRazor
Member # 5254

- posted      Profile for RackhamsRazor   Email RackhamsRazor         Edit/Delete Post 
well-there is a kid at the middle school back in my hometown named Fidel Castro. Plus, I played soccer with a girl named Erin Zona (a certain state ring a bell). This last one I swear to you is a real name and is one of the worst names I have ever heard, but it was on the roster(opposing team against for my sisters basketball league)and they even had the announcers make a correction when to how it looks when the announcers tried to not make it sounds so bad. Her name: Shara Poupie....pronounced Share-a Poopie.
Seriously...of all the names...shame on her parents [No No]

Posts: 306 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
With my younger daughter, we had decided on a middle name (after my great aunt) long in advance. But we had a hard time choosing a first name. One option I have always liked for a girl is Ahuva. It means "beloved," it's pronounceable by non-Hebrew speakers, it's short yet melodic . . . I really like the name.

However, after careful consideration, we decided it might be best if we did NOT saddle an innocent child with the name Ahuva Fraida.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I once worked with a woman who had a friend named Bambi-Joe Schnitker. Now, there's nothing even vaguely obscene about that, there are no comical double meanings, and yet...that is easily one of the top five funniest names I have ever heard. It was probably 13 years ago that I worked the job with Bambi-Joe Schnitker's friend, and thinking of that name still makes me laugh.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Epictetus
Member # 6235

- posted      Profile for Epictetus   Email Epictetus         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a friend in High School whose little brother was named Adam, but his dad taught the child to pronounce it a dam, so whenever this kid said his full name, he said in effect, "A damn Swank" [Laugh]
I dunno, the more I think about it I think he just thought about teaching him that, either way its pretty funny.

Posts: 681 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Intelligence3
Member # 6944

- posted      Profile for Intelligence3   Email Intelligence3         Edit/Delete Post 
"This is Snivelling Little Rat-Faced Git. And this is his wife Dreary Fat Boring Old Git."
Posts: 720 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
There's a guy in my company named Dow Jones.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
I met a girl named Latrinia once.

And a girl in my high school was named La Quinta.

I've read about female characters in old books with the name Gay.

Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
The one that bothers me are twins whose names are almost identical. I went to school with twins named Omar and Lomar Brown. I also went to school with a pair of identical twin girls, born in December, named Holly and Christy. Why do people think twin names have to be cutesy?

Someone once suggested to me that it would have been cute if I had named Daniel and Abigail Daniel and Danielle. *gag*

I used to work at a university, and one of the nicest people that ever called our department was a woman named Tucker Slaughter. I just thought that was the coolest name!

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
I've got the fun of bothersome initials...B. J. S. ...yes...I always put my middle initial in, for obvious reasons...
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I forgot about the twins I knew named Marcia and Marsha. Talk about confusing.
Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I made sure my kids didn't spell anything. They are NRW, ECW, DWW, ARW. I'm also ARW, and my husband is, yes...WWW
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
One of my goals in life is to marry a man whose last name begins with a "B" so that my initials would be KGB.

Seriously, though, the only contribution I have at this time is a kid from my hometown who was a few years younger than me--Rambo Schutz. No joke.

Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gnixing
Member # 768

- posted      Profile for gnixing   Email gnixing         Edit/Delete Post 
i've got a stand that i've made clear to my wife. (though she still doesn't agree)
if we ever have twins, they will be named Hugh, Lewis, and Dwayne.

i'd also like to name a son Donald and a daughter Daisy, not that i want this many children mind you.

if you knew my last name.. you'd probably agree with my wife...
>_>

Posts: 494 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

If you have twins, they're getting THREE names???
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gnixing
Member # 768

i am so tempted to edit my post to say triplets... it's late >_<
Posts: 494 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gnixing
Member # 768

if they happen to be female, i'll work out feminine forms of the names as necessary also.
Intelligence3
Member # 6944

- posted      Profile for Intelligence3   Email Intelligence3         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
One of my goals in life is to marry a man whose last name begins with a "B" so that my initials would be KGB.
I can help with that. Want a marriage of contrivance?

[Razz]

Posts: 720 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

Hmmm. How old are you? [Smile]
Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Intelligence3
Member # 6944

A well-worn 34.
fiazko
Member # 5812

Well-worn? At 34? Poor guy.
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
Knew of a girl named Colossia Butts.
Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

I really want to make a comment, but I have a rather unfortunate last name myself.
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Mine is nice and boring. Actually, my entire name is. But after reading about some name afflictions, I should shut up and be happy about it.

*shutsup*

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Junebug.

Super-K.

Litebrite.

I'm the best dad EVER!

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
They are SO going to need therapy. [Wink]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Noemon, why is Bambi-Joe Schnitker so funny? I can't even think it, much less say it aloud, without laughing!
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
I went to high school with the Candace (Candi) and Bambi, the Clapp sisters. Cheerleaders.
Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Clamitia - mother saw it on her chart and thought it sounded pretty.

[Eek!]

I named my second son Arik Drew. My children were amoung the last born in a large extended family of children with A names.

I absolutely refused to name him Absalom or Ahab and there was already an Abraham. (yuck)

I was young, dumb and under a lot of pressure. I had the name Austin stolen right out from under me, literally, with my first son. I gave birth a month after my sister-in-law and had told everyone of my plans to name him Austin. She named her son Austin. Can you believe it?

I thought Arik Drew was nice considering the alternatives.

Poor kid! I thought I was giving him a strong, Norse Hero kind of name.

When your child asks you "mom, why did you name me that?", you know you messed up.

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
My mom's hippie friends, the Bushes, are Thorn, Briar, and Cactus. They all have traditional middle names so they can choose which they like. Personally, I always thought it fit the family nicely.
Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RackhamsRazor
Member # 5254

- posted      Profile for RackhamsRazor   Email RackhamsRazor         Edit/Delete Post 
my grandmother also new a lady whose name was Minnie...and what do you know...when she got married..it was to a guy whose last name was Mouse. She took his name too.
[Razz]

Posts: 306 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
I took my mother's maiden name as part of my divorce decree. My maiden name, Helmbock, had already been corrupted into Hemlock far too many times.

And my name always gets remembered now. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
My sister went to school with a girl whose first name was Pepsi. Really!

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think Isis is that weird of a name.

Also, what's wierd about the names Erin Zona and Ahuva Fraida?

quote:

I was young, dumb and under a lot of pressure. I had the name Austin stolen right out from under me, literally, with my first son. I gave birth a month after my sister-in-law and had told everyone of my plans to name him Austin. She named her son Austin. Can you believe it?

I would have named my son Austin anyway. Big deal if he has a cousin with the same name!

There was a girl in my high school who got endlessly teased because of her last name Castendick.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucky4
Member # 1420

- posted      Profile for Lucky4   Email Lucky4         Edit/Delete Post 
A professor at my University (in the education department) was named Junior High.

I have a good friend named Sommer Raine.

My friend's mother's married name is Penny Tenpenny.

My mom worked with a man whose family ran out of names and named their last five sons Felix I-V.

And, best of all, a well intentioned family I grew up with didn't even realize what they'd done till their son, Justin Sain, was in middle school.

[ November 18, 2004, 09:58 AM: Message edited by: Lucky4 ]

Posts: 186 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

mph, try singing Ahuva Fraida . . .
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
I plan on giving my kids some elvish names.
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Intelligence3
Member # 6944

quote:
Well-worn? At 34? Poor guy.
That's what it felt like at 2AM when I was posting at least.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I still don't get it, rivka.

Man, I feel like a thicky today.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, my husband thought Xerxes was an excellent name for our second child. All I can say is it's a good thing she turned out to be a girl.

Of course, following the "J" rule in his family produced the name Jerxes...so everyone called her Jerxes before she was born. Hehehe.

quote:
I think "me" would actually be funnier than "they"
I went to school with a Korean girl named Mi. No one thought it was funny, as far as I can remember.

Weirdest names I've actually encountered with people I really know:

Sierra Rain- Daughter of a friend
David Eagle Bear Rising- Son of same friend...his legal last name is Rising. Luckily for his sister, she has her mom's last name. She'd sound pretty funny with a name like Sierra Rain Rising. Come to think of it, Sierra Rain Turner is pretty funny too.

People, things like the above are what happens when you have a white girl with like 1/16th Native American blood who really wants to be Native American. This is the same girl that scorned my husband for wearing a T-shirt with his tribe name on it.

Her: I can't stand posers like that. He's not even Indian.
My cousin: Um, dude. He's half Sioux.
Her: No he's not! He, like, Chinese or something!

[Roll Eyes]

But I digress. More weird names:

Fanny Schroyer- Last name pronounced like "Shoyer". It took a lot of guts as a child for me to ask if she got teased a lot in school, and did her report card say, "Show Your, Fanny".

"Dear," she said. "Shroyer is my married name."

I'll spare you all the list of weird names in my family. I've shared them before and they're probably in a thread around here somewhere. I'll give the best one, though:

"Tassy Wassy"

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Maybe it's not clear how Ahuva Fraida is pronounced . . . ? It's ah-HOO-vah FRAY-dah.

*sings* Ahuva Fraida, the big bad wolf . . .

Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]

I got it at first, but didn't connect it to the Big Bad Wolf song until I used the linky....

[Big Grin]

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
I like Xerxes and Isis.

Weirdest names I have personally seen:

Herwig Schlunk--it just trips off the tounge, like a train wreck.

Dick Stubb--owned an appliance store in OKC.

Korean kid, name pronounced "Dung"

[ November 18, 2004, 11:14 AM: Message edited by: Morbo ]

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

There was a family in Brazil with the last name of F U C K, pronounced Fook.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I'm still going to lobby for the name Xerxes again if our next child is a boy.
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
My mother used to work for a bank and has talked about her favorite funny names she ran across: Olive Grace Brassiere and her husband, Harry, and the best - a very, very wealthy man by the name of Dewitt W. Weewee (the 3rd, no less!). She said she'd get some pretty strange looks from the other customers when she'd greet him "Hello, Mr. Weewee!"
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
I went to school with a guy who has the unfortunate name of Wayne Knopff. The p is silent. I remember one time he was called to the office over the PA system and pretty much the whole school was laughing.
Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toretha
Member # 2233

- posted      Profile for Toretha   Email Toretha         Edit/Delete Post 
I went to middle school with a kid named Shi Ning Sun

And Mayday-I don't WANT to kidnap your child, I'll just be force to if you name a boy that. I mean, honestly. Artemis, the name of the virgin goddess? On a boy?

Posts: 3493 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Boys can be virgins too.
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
The female virgin goddess [Razz]
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lost Ashes
Member # 6745

- posted      Profile for Lost Ashes   Email Lost Ashes         Edit/Delete Post 
At work, I keep a running list of the most unusual, funny and striking names that come in on our catalog request line.

So far, my favorite, because of it's pure uniqueness was:

Punci (Punky) Biffendorfer.

You know, there just can't be two of them out there, but she still chose to spell it Punci. An interesting gal, I'd be willing to bet.

Posts: 472 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.