FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » House (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: House
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
If he does hook up with someone it has to be that chick in charge. She seems to like herself some House even though he's difficult.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
Or that new--um, nevermind.
Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Please share, Theca!

Jeepers, I had only one taker for the spoiler I learned about.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Well, I think it is sad and pathetic that when i saw this headline on yahoo, I immediately thought of this show:

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050421/ap_on_go_co/energy_bill

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If he does hook up with someone it has to be that chick in charge.
I though they had already "hooked up" at some previous time. Not on the current show, I mean, but the script is written to imply that House and that gal "have a history" of a relationship some time in the past. I can't remember the direct quote, but it was alluded to a couple episodes ago..

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
House and the boss have a history together.

Liz, I asked for the spoiler and I got no spoils. [Frown]

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

You didn;t? Let me resend it. I don't have much.
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

So my daughter tells me that when I missed last night's House episode, that I missed the very best one of the season. Is that so? She sure seemed to think so.

Too bad I didn't have any blank tapes for her to record it for me....

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a repeat, but i bet you can snag it off bittorrent.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
I hadn't seen last night's episode, and my reaction was, "Hey! It's that kid from Joan of Arcadia! Cool!"
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I had not seen it before. It was obviously one of the earlier shows. I really liked it.

It made me realize that they haven't done many home break-ins lately. I hope they continue that trend.

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

What? No one has commented anything on last night's episode?
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw it last night for the first time.

I didn't actually like it, but I'm wondering if y'all actually want to hear the list of why. I strongly suspect that I have lost the rhythm of television altogether, and definitely of medical shows.

Oh, okay, I'll put my list.

********SPOILERS - IT'S A LIST OF WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE - DON'T READ IF THAT'S UPSETTING*************

1. Who the crap is that drama queen in the lead? He informs parents of the medical status of their 12-year-old daughter by it tossing it over his shoulder as he flounces about angrily, and drops heavy and illegal hints. How dumb are the parents supposed to be?

It's one thing to have the classic rogue doctor who puts the patients above those pesky rules and budget considerations (who cares what other patients recieve worse care as a result - this one has her name in the credits.), but he's a doctor who is unbelievably rude to parents and patients as well.

The discussion with the little girl was horrendous. She IS twelve - congratulations on making sure this is indeed the worst experience of her life and on breaking the law by not reporting the criminal activity.

2. [Frown] Speaking of - talk about sensational and predictable plotlines.

3. Since it is a tense show with little outside interaction, I understand that they needed to get a personal touch in there somehow. However, the segue from "We need to hire someone" to "You do this with women, and that's why you are unhappy" was so random it made me giggle.

4. Talk about your male fantasy. The beautiful woman will only come back to her subordinate employment position where I'm a jerk to all my employees if I agree to go on a genuine date with her.

Ah well. I probably shouldn't fault any show for the fantasy element. I watch Gilmore Girls.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

The show does have its issues, Kat, but it comes on after American Idol, and I am hooked.
Kent
Member # 7850

- posted      Profile for Kent   Email Kent         Edit/Delete Post 
I love House. I really was hoping that "half-Jewish" doctor would get hired. She was sassy and hot. Maybe the shoes were too uncomfortable.
Posts: 231 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I think he was afraid where the tip of those shoes might go if he were too much of a jerk.
TheMaker
Member # 7957

- posted      Profile for TheMaker   Email TheMaker         Edit/Delete Post 
I personally love the show (Intro song is very cool haha)... But at times it almost seems <u>too/u> scripted. There are some shows where they have good acting, and the things the characters say are what normal people would say and normal reactions.

House doesnt seem to do this.. Granted his wittiness is interesting, it's not very believable. One show I believe that shows this perfectly is Gilmore Girls. It's line after line of just sarcasm and quick and witter answers. I get sick of it after the first five minutes of hearing my sister watch it in the next room.

House is interesting, and I recommend it, but that's the only peeve I have with it.

Posts: 9 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
Kat,

Both 3 and 4 are elements of the larger story arc and probably seem a little out of place/odd in the context of a single episode.

Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

3 I can see. 4 just means that the fantasy is embedded in the larger story arc.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

I'll give you that, but I think it is done in a pretty believable way. House actively tries to make people dislike him. He isn't nice to her and yet she is attracted to him anyway. She seems to know that he is trying to push everyone away and she doesn't buy his "I don't like people" act.
Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

quote:
He isn't nice to her and yet she is attracted to him anyway.
That's exactly the fantasy part - that selfishness = strength and rudeness is a great way to secretly show your softer side. There are lots of people who attracted to people precisely because they treat them like crap, but it usually isn't for pretty reasons.

I'm just dissapointed that the only women on the show were (1) a slutty 12-year-old, (2) woman who is so unprofessional that she wears low-cut outfits at work, and (3) a doctor who willingly puts herself in a subordinate employment position only on the CONDITION that the boss dates her.

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Well..there was that half-Jewish gal that could throw the bites back at him as fast as he dished it out.

He did seem a little "meaner" in last night's episode -- meaning he had even more cruel, needless remarks than most previous episodes.

quote:
2) woman who is so unprofessional that she wears low-cut outfits at work,
That part of the show just made me laugh. His comments to her as he held up the folder to block his view...

Of course, I watch it sheerly for entertainment, not because I expect it to be very believable or realistic. It just makes me laugh.

Farmgirl

[ May 04, 2005, 01:39 PM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Exactly. It just makes me laugh.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

Fair enough. I see how you could get that impression from just seeing the one episode. I think, though, that you don't have the context that the show has given to their relationship. House isn't interested in showing his softer side. He really doesn't want anyone to know that he cares about anything other than solving obscure medical problems. The girl is attracted to his mind and also the challeng of making him admit he is a human.

I agree with you about being dissapointed with the level women play in the show though. The part that really jarred me in that way last night was the callousness of the nursing staff. It showed the one nurse as being completely dismissive of a case of life and death.

Kent
Member # 7850

- posted      Profile for Kent   Email Kent         Edit/Delete Post 
Nurses, sheesh.
Posts: 231 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
She has said (not in so many words) that she is attracted to him because he does what is right. And he seems to understand her, as well. Also, I think she kind of wishes she could say those things, but is too much of a nice girl.

I think she thinks that if she could just get under the hard shell, she'd find a soft, sweet middle. And so she is crushing on him. This really isn't all that out of the realm of reality.

Anyway, I do think that both last night's episode and the one with the pregnant woman who died were both cliched and I was pretty disappointed about both story lines. The pregnant woman's issue wasn't even a mystery, it was just a progression through a terminal illness. I was also extremely disappointed with how House reacted to the 12 yr old.

One thing I find unbelievable (though it was given credibility last night with that epidemic) is that the doctors are doing too many procedures themselves that I would expect nurses to be doing, even if the patient has a bizarre mystery illness.

Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amka
Member # 690

I think the reason we like it, and laugh is that usually House says what we all wish we could say.

With the boss woman who wore a low cut blouse - I've seen that in the work place. There was someone at my husband's work that dresses like that. She was good at her job, but the way she dressed was distracting. And there are guys that just wish they could say that to women in those kinds of positions. "Sure, you are capable and it doesn't bother me that a woman is my superior at work, but do I have to deal with trying to ignore your more womanly attributes at work?"

Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Maybe I need to work with jerks to enjoy this show.

[ May 04, 2005, 02:04 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Amka
Member # 690

The difference between jerks and non-jerks is that the jerks have no boundaries and do say mean things. The writers of House have just managed to make it witty enough that some of us don't feel guilty about wanting to say those things.

It definately crossed the line last night though, Kat. I was very peeved.

Usually we get House telling off adults who are doing or thinking stupid things, not a child who was being molested.

My mom wishes House was her doctor though. At this point, she doesn't care how rude he would be as long as he figured out what is wrong with her. She recently acquired her medical records for another doctor. She made a copy to keep for herself. After reading them, she was furious. The previous doctor had spent a lot of time with her and been nice, and she had thought she was finally being listend to. Upon reading his report, she found that he had claimed diagnoses of a pre-existing condition he never looked at (and had it in the wrong place), had not written down several important symptoms she related, and had simply diagnosed her as depressed.

[ May 04, 2005, 02:22 PM: Message edited by: Amka ]

katharina
Member # 827

Hmm...that reminds me of something I thought last night.

5. There were many moments where the action stops that were meant to highlight the zingers, but they weren't actually zingers.

I did mention to Coccinelle last night that the action would stop while someone said something that obviously supposed to be clever, but it wasn't insightful enough to be worth the fanfare.

For this, I blame Hatrack (y'all have spoiled me) and, frankly, Gilmore Girls.

[ May 04, 2005, 02:28 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

"(1) a slutty 12-year-old,"

WHAT???
How is being molested by your adult coach being slutty???
This is something called "grooming," and it is sick child molestation. I missed a few minuts at the end, but isn't that the story?

solo
Member # 3148

It never really addressed who the father was. I was assuming they would point to the coach, but there were other boys on the swim team who were avoiding her for an unknown reason. It could have been any of them, though I think the most likely one was still the coach, but she never told House.
Amka
Member # 690

I'm not sure they ever said who it was, except that the only male swimmers were 16 and older. It certainly could have been the coach, though. Either way, it would have been molestation because of the age difference.

[ May 04, 2005, 02:37 PM: Message edited by: Amka ]

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

I'm not sure if the girl was molested by her coach.
There were male members of the team, House pointed out how none of them visited her in the hospital, because they were uncomfortable.
Apparently, it must have been some sort of freaky group sex thing, consential, but she's twelve and too young to consent.

But, as for the hot chick falling for House, WHY?? He's scruggy. He doesn't shave, sure he has nice yes, but he still doesn't SHAVE. I kind of wanted him to hire the hot half jewish chick because she was so hot, maybe they should have two hot women, one sarcastic, the other sweet in addition to the pretty boys.

katharina
Member # 827

Elizabeth, I'm sorry. I should clarify. I didn't mean the fact that she was pregnant, or that she had been molested. In order to make the "House smacks down the idiot" scene to 12-year-old less odious (attempt unsucessful), they had the 12-year-old talk about how she wanted everything that had happened. They gave her some culpability in order to justify her as the object of House's dissaproval.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Oh.
I just read the synopsis.
Hmm. I really assumed it was the coach. Didn;t she always have her own room or something when they travelled?
He could not inform the parents of the pregnancy, but if he did not report sexual abuse, he could lose his job. He is a mandated reporter. I think that would supercede the no tell law.
I think it was one of those things where I assumed it was the coach because they had him rubbing her back at the beginning, and because I had seen a movie recently based on a true story. It is, sadly, not so rare a thing as it shuld be. Ew.

mackillian
Member # 586

I think House just puts things in grim reality, as he did with the twelve year old. She WAS being groomed, and the claims she made are often made by kids in her position. So House used her own POV and twisted it so that she could see his side, even through the misconceptions of her own.

And with the coach rubbing her back and all those significant but seemingly needless shots of her coach, I think it was the coach. *shrug* Not that it matters much either way. She was a molested kid. [Frown]

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Good points, Mack.
katharina
Member # 827

I recognize that I am not the audience for this show, and I doubt that will change. So, some ruminations.

The central conceit is that this guy is rude, vindictive, and a jerk, but he's still the hero because he is a fabulous diagnostician. That's essentially flawed. From what I've read, it seems that diagnosing requires a multitude of variables, including openness from the patient and careful sharing of information. A hostile, freaked-out envioronment headed by an egomaniac would not be the best setting for either of the above.

In other words, how good can you be at gathering information when no one wants to talk to you?

[ May 04, 2005, 03:36 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Well I think he was fairly nice to the girl up until the point that he figured out what was wrong.

which, in a way, reminded me of the time I worked as a helper in a hospital emergency room (while training for my EMT). This one kid came in that had taken a whole bottle of pills in a lame attempt at suicide.

The doctor I worked with was extremely rough with the kid -- made the ordeal of pumping his stomach a very unpleasant experience, etc. I asked the doc about it later - because it was unlike the way I had seen him treat others before. He said, "You want to make it so unpleasant that they never want to try that or go down that road again."

So I thought House was just kind of driving his point home, in a very unpleasant way, with her in order to get her young brain to realize the seriousness of what had happened. So she would think many many time about not letting it happen again.

Farmgirl

katharina
Member # 827

*wrinkles nose* I think that's reaching. I mean, to prevent it from happening again, I don't think the girl is the one that needs to be spoken to.

Okay, one last comment, and I'm done. [Smile]

This just occurred to me. Crusty, clever, but brilliant doctor + humanity - abuse of power male fantasy = Dr. Cox. Watch Scrubs. [Smile]

[ May 04, 2005, 03:47 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

quote:
don't think the girl is the one that needs to be spoken to.
FWIW - I agree with you on that point, Kat.

And I was absolutely shocked that he didn't tell the parents and how rude he was to them, when they were clueless. THAT would never happen in real life and a doctor get away with it.

The " she's just sick with something that's a really big word, but she'll get over it" was so condenscending that at that point, I wanted to hit him....as a parent.

Farmgirl

mackillian
Member # 586

Actually, as someone who has been strapped due to HIPAA, it was a pretty good way of toeing the line of legality. He couldn't tell them what was wrong, but he couldn't NOT tell them what was wrong. Legally, he couldn't tell them about the pregnancy. But he COULD tell them about the illness. Except the illness's full name contains pregnancy, so he could only use the acronym. The way he spoke with them 1. pissed them off 2. made them curious and if they're good parents, they WOULD google it or find someone who knew what it stood for.

Toeing the line.

It's a hard hard bind he was in, and I didn't envy him one bit.

The kid didn't need chastising, obviously the molestor did. However, she did need a reality check. While I don't condone his methods--his point was made. Her own misconceptions would have to be changed as well, so that she wouldn't become the victim again. If she continued to believe she was an adult and wanted it, she would continue in a victim's mindset. [Frown]

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Grooming is a scary and more-common-than-you'd-think thing.

When I was in sixth grade, I was in love with my sixth grade teacher, to the exclusion of any other boys.

A couple of years later, my grandmother told me that he had "run away" with a girl a year younger than me, whom I had been friends with. She was a speed skater, and he was coaching her. She was in love with him, or thought so, and was agreeable to everything. I often wonder what she thinks of that now. She was fourteen at the time, I think probably twelve or thirteen when it started. He was married. The parents had total trust in him.

It seems to happen most often in individual sports. Swimming, gymnastics.

dawnmaria
Member # 4142

- posted      Profile for dawnmaria   Email dawnmaria         Edit/Delete Post 
What did everyone think of last night's episode? I think it was the best one yet! I love him even more now that I know the back history. I guess I am like Cameron though, wanting to "fix" him and make it all better. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 601 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
It was a great episode, especially Carmen Electra (j/k). I loved learning hiow he got the limp, a great way to introduce a new character to the show.
Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I forgot last week to post and comment how delighted I was to see Christina Cox again. And when I looked her up on IMDB it seems that I've missed her in any number of bit roles. Hmm. Oh well, still delighted.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

I agree that that was the best episode of the season. Loved it. It cracked me up when the students said, "Why is she in her underwear?"
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I loved this episode. Loved it. I cried a few times. My favorite line was "You said a five minute break, and it has been six minutes already."
Faire
Member # 8065

- posted      Profile for Faire   Email Faire         Edit/Delete Post 
I was really excited to see Andrew Keagen again. Where did that guy go. Also, he looks exactly the same way he did when I was 9, so he seems to have gone to a cryogenics lab or something.

It was a really great episode, though. Very funny, and very sad, and it gave great insight into House.

Posts: 17 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.