FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » FIRST Robotics - Watch the NATIONALS online! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: FIRST Robotics - Watch the NATIONALS online!
Desdemona
Member # 7100

- posted      Profile for Desdemona   Email Desdemona         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah... I just got home from meeting. I was there until 11:00 last night, and then today I left home at 8:30 and got home just now. I'm tired.

Nice to know there are other FIRST people out there! Feel free to hijack my thread with your experiences!

CAUTION: Girl Without Wrench (cause it's being thrown across the room!)

EDIT: oh btw, are you on the Chief Delphi Forums?

[ February 12, 2005, 10:46 PM: Message edited by: Desdemona ]

Posts: 459 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I'm on the forums, but I've only posted about twice.

I would have stayed later at today's meeting (there's still a TON to do!), but I had to come home to babysit. So far we haven't had to pull any all-nighters...yet...

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Desdemona
Member # 7100

Hey Eruve, what regionals are you going to?

w00t! 2 pages!

EDIT: I just looked at the date, and instead of thinking about Valentine's day tomorrow, I thought: "Oh <insert profanity here>... 6 days until the website is due..."

The robots are taking over!!!!

[ February 13, 2005, 09:37 PM: Message edited by: Desdemona ]

Posts: 459 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
We're going to Palmetto and Peachtree. We wanted to go to Nat's, but we couldn't pay at the time, so we have to earn our way there.

But right now, I'm exhausted. I just spent all afternoon/evening at a meeting, with everyone grabbing their heads and saying "Oh no...that won't work...that needs to be fixed..." it was a while before they actually started *doing* something. [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Desdemona
Member # 7100

Yeah. So. I just got home from a meeting. I have a huge History ISU due tomorrow that I haven;t started. Life is hectic. But I love it.

Today, we managed to (somewhat) get the arm working.. we're jsut going to test the pneumatics systems tomorow (when I skip class, AGAIN.)

Meeting tomorrow will be just as late, or later. Chassis cover is being built tomorrow, wings will be mounted.

I can't WAIT to see the robot done. Oh wow. And then competition.

CAUTION: Girl With Wrench Using Our Brand-Spankin' New Metal Saw [Big Grin]

blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I want to know who's brilliant idea it was to have the build season overlap Valentine's Day.

Then I would like to have a nice little talk with them.

Afterall, if engineers don't manage to procreate, where do they expect to get new engineers from. I think this should be taken into account.

Not that I was planning to do any procreating today. [Razz] Doing things to cut down on the romantic possibilities for male engineers doesn't seem like a good idea, though. I mean, for a group that known for not being romantic Valentine's is one of the few things that's hard to mess up: flowers, chocolate, time. You can be the least romantic person in the world and still not mess that up.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Dessy- You seem to be under a lot of stress. Have you been getting plenty of fresh air and excersize lately? [Dont Know]
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

blacwolve...there is no such thing as Valentine's Day for robotics people. [Wink] Not that I mind.
Desdemona
Member # 7100

Steve.. are you JOKING? Have you READ this thread?

I'm at meeting now... supposed to be working on the website. [Big Grin] I have never used Dreamweaver before. I am quickly learning.

Our arm worked today [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] I worked the pneumatics.

but it won't lift a tetra yet [Frown]

But it's fun.

And I kind of forgot about V-day... Thanks to our Robot.

It's my baby...

CAUTION: Girl With Wrench Teaching Lessons on the Differences Between Screws, Bolts, Nails, Self-Tapping Screws and Nuts.

blacwolve
Member # 2972

What about their girlfriends?
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Desdemona
Member # 7100

If their girlfriends aren't involved in FIRST, then they're not worthy of it.

[Big Grin]

Another thing that bugs me: People who think that white is NOT an acceptable background colour for a website. [Mad]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
[Embarrassed] They obviously haven't come to Hatrack. [Wink]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Dessy- You should know more than anyone that I joke a lot. I mean you have spent quite awhile talking to me here and on VBS......so you should know that I enjoy a good laugh...........not at you though because then you would beat me with your wrench..........
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

I was involved in robot last year. I was a disaster. The one time I tried to do anything I managed to completely screw it up and create 10 hours of extra work for the team.
Desdemona
Member # 7100

Steve, Steve, Steve. I was joking, too.

Ooh! I just got home from meeting. And our arm doesn't work. It worked twice. Then it died. / didn't work any more. So, We'll work on it tomorrow. Until probably 11:00. Yay.

And blacwolve: I'm sure that's not the case. And plus, Robotics isn't all design and construction. You could be PR, Website, Fundraising, anything. I am all of those, plus the team gofer.

CAUTION: Girl With Wrench Filming the Stupid Arm Only Working Twice. Gah!

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Dessy- Aren't we just a pair of jokers? I need a whack on the head from your wrench. So whack away! [Big Grin]
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

Well, I found out we have to rebuild our robot this week, because it didn't work well enough. [Wall Bash]

But it's going to be a beast when we're done. [Evil]

So I was at a meeting until midnight, and have to get over to the school around 4 today...we'll probably stay late again tonight. We're also planning a lock-in at the school this Friday. We figured we'd be there all night anyway, and be doing driver tryouts, so we might as well make it fun, too. [Smile]

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Fine I'll whack myself with a wrench.....be that way! [Big Grin]
sarahdipity
Member # 3254

- posted      Profile for sarahdipity   Email sarahdipity         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I missed this thread the first few times. This sounds like a lot of fun and a great experience. I hope your arm starts working! It sucks when your robot is broken and you can't get it to do stuff. Our arm broke today(well our hand) and it has to be sent off for repair.

Good luck!

Posts: 872 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Desdemona
Member # 7100

It's official. I am Team Captain next year. [Angst]

Well, tonight I almost finished the website, and our arm design was revised, and it works now (kinda)

I was also told that I may be on the drive team. I'm not sure they know what they're doing.

I have made things up with everyone on my team... you've kind of got to, when you're in their company for however many hours a day!

I cannot express in words how much Robotics has done to me. It has changed my life in so many ways. I have made a lot of new friends, and it has put all the petty popularity struggles in my grade into perspective. I will miss it so much once it's over... It has decided me on a career path, engineering. I love it so much.

*whips wrench at Steve

CAUTION: Girl With Wrench Driving Robot! (Watch Out!) [Evil Laugh]

Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

*yawn* I just got home from another meeting. [Smile] We just about rebuild the robot in the past two days...except for electical.

Desdemona, FIRST inspired you to be an engineer, too? That's so cool. When I joined the team last year, I just wanted to help with T-shirts or buttons or something. But I got asked to help with something on the robot (because I was the only one with small enough hands to reach [Wink] ), and one thing led to another, and I am blamed for building almost the whole robot. [Big Grin] I wasn't going to go to college at all, because I had no idea what I wanted to do, and I thought it would be a waste of money. But now I've decided to go into Mechanical Engineering (and I've been accepted into Clemson...WOOT!). I really enjoy seeing something come from an idea to a competitive machene. Plus I really like the people, they respect me and like me for who I am, even when I didn't really know who I was yet. *wipes tear* [Smile]

Anyway...I better get some sleep before the next meeting. [Wink]

Oh, lol...a couple of the guys scared the crap outta me earlier. They all know I'm a bit gun-shy (especially since I was run over with a robot), so they mess with me just to see me jump sometimes. Well anyway, I was leaving the shop with one of the guys, when he said "Don't go in the hall...it's dangerous!", and he ducked back in the shop. I was like "Whatever, Travis", and I turned around to leave him. But when I turned around, the other guy was standing *right there* next to me, and I shouted "OH, GOD!" and jumped back about three feet into the wall. It was really scary, but pretty funny, too.

[ February 17, 2005, 12:02 AM: Message edited by: Eruve Nandiriel ]

Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

Oh yeah...check out my team's website, Golden Strip Robotics Team 1319 . We regularly update it and add stuff, too.
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Dessy- You can't whip someone with a wrench.....you have to whack someone with a wrench. Don't be silly! [Big Grin]
Desdemona
Member # 7100

I feel really bad for being so complaining. Yesterday, Shyra did the sweetest thing.

First, a little bit of background. Last week, I was complaining about being the team 'gofer' because I was always being told "Kate, get this," "Kate, get that."
I quote verbatim (somewhat)
"I'm the team gofer"
Samina: "No, you're the team b***h!"
I know I kind of deserved it, and it was hilarious.

Yesterday, I was feeling really depressed, because of some issues. Shyra set everybody else to doing stuff, then took me out in the hall and asked me "Are you okay?" We had a long conversation,(including her talking about how I really wasn't the team b***h) that ended up with me in tears and Shyra hugging me. ((Shyra))

A funny story: Shyra calls everyone sweetheart, with some obvious exceptions (teachers and the like). Yesterday, she gave something to our teacher, Mr. McCuaig. And said "Here you go, sweetheart!"
It was so funny. SO funny.

I have been at school since 9:00, and we are planning to stay until 12:30. w00t Robotics!!!

CAUTION: Girl With Wrench Tired of the Stupid Robot Room and Lost Parts!

EDIT: Our robot is coming along. We may get it functional tonight:D, and our new arm design works. Everything is coming together, and I am so proud!

[ February 19, 2005, 10:22 PM: Message edited by: Desdemona ]

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Dessy- I know you're probably tired but you should check out my landmark its really entertaining and probably none of it will suprise you any.....good luck with the robot! [Big Grin]
Desdemona
Member # 7100

I also have a zip tie in my hair. And it's sticking out the top of my head. Hot, eh?
blacwolve
Member # 2972

I just saw the robot yesterday. It looks so good. I'm really surprised, it's much farther along than ours was last year at this time. And it's Gold!

Apparently they're starting to practice driving it and things today, which is pretty amazing. I wish I could go over and watch, but I'm pretty miserably sick. [Frown]

I don't know how much I'm allowed to say about it, so I won't babble the way I want to. [Smile]

Desdemona
Member # 7100

awww.. get better, blacwolve!

oh, and if anyone wants to look our new team website, which I made in 20 mins last night because I lost the files AGAIN! Here it is!

I'm not a nerd. I was just at school for 15 hours, building a robot on a Saturday. Nope. Not remotly nerdlike!

CAUTION: Nerdy Girl With Wrench!

Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

You were at school for 15 hours? I was at a meeting for 23 hours (and I have a cold). Then I went home and slept like the dead. [Wink] We're meeting all day today, and probably all night, too.

I might get to be one of the drivers this year, too. [Smile]

Desdemona
Member # 7100

BABY!!!

No, really. I love this thing!

Last night, I was sawing a piece of wood. And the saw slipped. Now, my nail is cut in half, and I have a huge cut down my thumb. It hurts.

Good luck, Eruve and blacwolve! We're almost done, and we're 3 llbs underweight!

Now, back to driver training. Not me, but the drivers. I'm probly on pit crew.

CAUTION: Girl With Wrench

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. Seriously cool. [Smile]
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

Desdemona, what competitions are you guys going to?
Desdemona
Member # 7100

We're going to the Greater Toronto Regionals, and we were going to go to the Waterloo regionals, but our grads (half the team) are going to be in Cancun that week. So, we decided not to go.
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Dessy- I think you need to get some more sleep........your being delusional.........j/k [Big Grin]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay. Good. *wipes forehead*

When I saw the title, I thought one of you was pregnant...

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

Des, that would have been cool if we were at the same regionals. Well, good luck with your robot! I miss our already... *sniff*
Desdemona
Member # 7100

Good luck with yours too... I really miss ours already. If you truly think about how much thought, time, blood, swears, frustration and elation were put into that hunk of metal, then it really is a truly special thing. It isn't just a robot: it was life for six weeks.

What makes me really sad, however, is not the physical robot being shipped. It's that I probably will barely talk to my friends on the team anymore, since there are none in my grade. All of my really good friends (Samina, Kate, Shelly, Shyra, Aylish) are graduating this year, which means that I will probably never see them again. I'll really miss the chance to talk to them, and sort out my life while doing it. There is competition, but no more late meetings, no more jokes to laugh over for days, no more companionship of the greatest people that I've ever met. That is really what I miss the most.

Six weeks isn't enough time to be in the companionship of my teammates, my friends, the most wonderful group of girls I have ever met.

All my songs on my laptop remind me of Robot... we played them all over and over.

Hey Eruve/blacwolve, do either of you want to trade t-shirts/buttons? I know we'll have a lot left over!

Anyone else want one, too?

(pics will be up in a moment)

CAUTION: Girl With Wrench No More

EDITED to add more content

[ February 22, 2005, 09:02 PM: Message edited by: Desdemona ]

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I think I'll pass, thank you! [Razz]

Edit: Unless you can get me one that says, "Caution: Guy with Wrench" because that shirt cracks me up! [ROFL]

[ February 22, 2005, 06:21 PM: Message edited by: SteveRogers ]

Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

My team doesn't like to put out pictures of our robot before competitions, but another team posted this pic from a scrimmage last Saturday.

I usually don't get into T-shirt trading and stuff, but I like the whole "CAUTION: Girl With Wrench" thing. I'll see whether or not it's too late for me to get another team shirt, and I'll let you know, I might trade.

Desdemona
Member # 7100

Nice bot... looks like you have 2 seperate arms for picking up tetras... looks like it would be quite a bit underweight, too.

Here is a new photobucket that I put up, with a lot of pictures in there. The button is on there, too. I still have to put up some more pictures from Sunday and Monday, so those will go up ASAP.

And I edited my last post, btw.

Eruve: I'd love a shirt of yours, but if there aren't any extras, don't sweat it. I'll send you one anyways, if you're still interested... we always have leftovers.

blacwolve
Member # 2972

I can send you one of our buttons from last year and one of the teams from this year. I don't have any spare shirts, though.
Desdemona
Member # 7100

I have a lot of extra buttons from our team, this year and last. Want to swap? E-mail's in the profile!
Desdemona
Member # 7100

I forgot to say that there's a password on that photobucket - bigbadbessie

CAUTION: Sad Girl Without Wrench Home Too Early

Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

I miss meetings. [Cry]
Not so much the working on the robot part, but being with my friends. [Frown]

Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

Our website just added some videos. There's one that has some highlights from last year, and one that's this year's build season.

I'm the girl in the long sleeved shirt, that's doing stuff in just about every other shot. [Smile]

Desdemona
Member # 7100

Good Luck at Peachtree, Eruve!!

28 days until the GTR!!!

[Big Grin]

Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

Aw, thanks. [Smile]

I think there might be a live webcast of the competition, but I haven't found the sire for it yet.

Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

Aha! Found the site:
http://robotics.nasa.gov/events/webcasts.htm

Watch for Golden Strip Robotics Team 1319, we'll be competing Friday and Saturday.

Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

Well, I just got back from Peachtree. We didn't do as well as I had expected in the qualifying matches (mostly because our partners kept scewing us over), but we got picked for 6th alliance. We were one of the final four alliances, and also won the Safety Award. [Big Grin]

More details later, but for now...I'm exhausted, I'm going to bed... [Sleep]

Desdemona
Member # 7100

Yay Eruve! I watched Peachtree this afternoon, but didn't see your bot [Frown]

I'm glad you had fun, and I can't wait 'til it's my turn!

25 days!!!!

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.