FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Ladies of Hatrack. My sisters, heal me, help me, be honest with me. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Ladies of Hatrack. My sisters, heal me, help me, be honest with me.
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool smile.
Kinda reminds me of Byrn Terfel size and slighly looks-wise.
Byrn Terfel is so cool but Dmitri Hvorostovsky stole my heart and he HAS to be a good baritone to steal me away from Bryn Terfel. Maybe I just like lyric baritones even better than non lyrical baritones and that's saying something...

I just realize I HAVE had several semi-dates.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
My advice to everyone who is worried about being single is to stop looking at it as a problem and start looking at it as an opportunity to deepen your relationships with friends and family. You’ve got all that relationship-energy that you’re not putting into maintaining a romantic relationship – use it to become a better sibling or friend. Quit feeling incomplete because you don’t have a date. You’ll be happier and, (in a paradoxical side effect), people who are happy by themselves are more attractive than people who are desperately looking for a date. And I speak from experience – I had ten years with no dates between the end of my last relationship and the beginning of my current one.

Special to the younger folks – despite the tales you’re likely to hear about 13 year old stud-muffins, not dating until you’re 16-17 or even 18-19 isn’t that uncommon. You should start dating because you meet someone you want to spend time with, not because you reach a certain age.

Special to Thor – part of your problem might be the way you talk/think about women. From what you’ve posted on Hatrack in the past it sounds (to me) like you are either looking for an idol or an apprentice. And very few women are looking for a worshipper or a master. Try thinking in terms of friends and partners, it’s more appealing.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I should have gotten it out of the way when I was younger, but it's not my fault that I didn't care about such things when I was in high school at the average age.
Perhaps I will focus on writing, reading and music like I always do and see what happens.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And I speak from experience – I had ten years with no dates between the end of my last relationship and the beginning of my current one.
[No No]

Try again:

quote:
And I speak from experience – I had ten years with no dates between the end of my prior relationship and the beginning of my lastone.
[Wink]
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
The picture with Thor similing is very attractive. He exudes confidence and friendliness in that photo. Thor, what were you thinking about when that was taken?
Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
Thor, take fugu up on his offer. He is right. You have an edgy-artisty appeal (which JENNY finds sexy), but without the funds to keep a lady in the style to which she has become accustomed, you won't keep a girl around for long. She has to have enough to eat, etc. Ambition, accompanying artistic vision, is tres sexy.
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

*totally agrees, but Thor=cool anyway*
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
She has to have enough to eat
That's always a plus. [Wink]
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Ic. That is, of course, a much better phrasing of what I meant to say. [Big Grin]
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Thor, in that smiling picture, you look absolutely cute, approachable, and fun. In that non-smiling picture, you look like you could be a serial killer. [Angst] You need to get involved in things that make you smile like the first one - you were obviously enjoying yourself, and that's the best time to meet people/start relationships (romantic or otherwise.)

BTW, before I met hubby, I hadn't dated in 8 or 9 years. I was sick of it and decided to take an indefinite break that I thought would last the rest of my life. Little did I know what was actually going to happen . . .

Yeah, sometimes, taking a break from dating can be a really good idea. As in, if you're addicted to wanting to be in love, or addicted to relationships. Or if dating is harming you in any way because you haven't dealt with emotional stuff. Better to take a break, deal with the issues, and then resume dating later when you're ready for it. But since I don't know you that well, I can't say if that's what you need or not. Only you can decide.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with a lot of what has been said here, particularly about devoting yourself to friends and family, jobs and hobbies you enjoy, and your own happiness.

Also, put down the lightsaber and game controller (or joystick, whatever it's called) and go out. Not necessarily to bars, but to film festivals or concerts or rodeos. Whatever grabs your fancy. You are much more likely to meet the girl of your dreams at the library or park than sitting at home playing video games.

Don't think that "cool" women won't go for "dorky" guys. My husband might be considered a major dork and I... am not one, but I adore him.

BTW, love the lapels on the white shirt.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
I can testify that I had come to terms with the fact that I genuinely thought I would be single for the rest of my life and could be happy single when Steve and I got together. Part of it I think was the fact that since I *knew* I would be single for the rest of my life, I had nothing to lose by trying this particular relationship.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

- posted      Profile for The Silverblue Sun   Email The Silverblue Sun         Edit/Delete Post 
I have always loved Hatrack.
It is a great place, but until now
I've had a hard time putting a finger
on what makes hatrack so great.

I can say now,
that Hatrack is brilliant
because it is chock filled
with strong Intelligent women,
who are obviously attracted to
Orson Scott Card's well written
Strong Intelligent women.

You care and are kind.

Thank you.
Thank you.
Thank you.

Posts: 2752 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

- posted      Profile for The Silverblue Sun   Email The Silverblue Sun         Edit/Delete Post 
[Hat] = The Honorable Strong Intelligent woman award goes to Tom Davidson.
Posts: 2752 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm curious about why your last relationship with a woman ended, because the reason might be very relevant to answering your question.

Your problem might simply be a time of life issue. Once you are out of college, it is simply harder to meet people and make new friends.

It's also possible that you scare women away by coming on too strong. Based on you initial entrance into to hatrack, my guess is that you compensate for your initial discomfort in new social situations with a lot of bravado that bowls people over. That is one of the surest ways to scare off women.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.