FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What is it about uniforms... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What is it about uniforms...
Uhleeuh
Member # 6803

- posted      Profile for Uhleeuh   Email Uhleeuh         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Hairy chests?
Ewwwwwwwwwwwww

I agree with this completely. Chest hair makes my skin crawl for some reason. [Angst]
Posts: 378 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Ralphie, just the description of an Irish-accented officer of the law makes me salivate.
Dudn't it just?
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
You know what it is. It's that in a uniform, it's hard for a guy to mismatched. The color co-ordination alone is usually enough for a woman to notice. [Wink]
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
It's all about mystique - what's UNDER all that thick cloth? Actually, uniforms are usually tailored, so a man looks his best when he wears it. If you had all your clothes tailored, you might find yourself a chick magnet.
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
I will tally in with the ones who dig a man in uniform. Maybe there is some truth to the "power" thing. But I also think that a well cut suit just "looks" attractive asthetically.

But who am I kidding? I am not particularly interested in analyzing why. That takes all the fun out of it! [Big Grin]

Oh, and I dig the hairy chest too. Brings out the animal in me. Rrrrrrrawr.

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
When i first met my husband, he had nary a hair on his chest. Now, it is fully engaged.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

- posted      Profile for Choobak   Email Choobak         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a beautiful uniform from my Engineer school. And i liked wearing it but i must say, nothing is different with girls... I think it's a myth. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
Elizabeth, they do say the love of a good woman will put hair on your chest.

Sometimes, it also takes it off the top of your head, though.

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

ha ha! And that is happening as well!
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I also dig a man in a sarong. A man. One man. Fahim. [Big Grin] He's pretty cute dressed like that.

Especially when it shows off his hairy chest to perfection. [Kiss] But I'll stop now. Otherwise, it could quickly degenerate. . .

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Elizabeth, sorry for the late reply, stupid post markers again...
quote:
Goody, what in the name of all is a "tat?"
A tattoo. Or in this case, several tattoos... [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Will is part Native American, and he has two armbands with dancing Kokopelli figures on the bands and rawhide tassels trailing down to his elbows. Then he also has another Kokopelli on his chest and he's thinking about doing something on his back.

He's trying to convince me to get something on my back as well, possibly a unicorn since I like them so much, but I'm resisting for the moment. [Angst] [Eek!]

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think Dana should be home soon. I need to go put on my pirate shirt.
Got to be one of the funniest things ever posted here.
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

- posted      Profile for Lady Jane   Email Lady Jane         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm...uniforms don't do anything for me at all. On the other hand, I really like scruffy and tattooed and relaxed, and (alternatively) an ill-fitting suit and too short hair is adorable.
Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I might have to get Fahim a pirate shirt. Good idea!
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't a sarong what sumo wrestlers wear? [Razz]
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Dunno. If they do, they wrap it around themselves so it looks like an industrial strength diaper.

There are two versions of sarongs. One version is a length of cloth, say four or five feet long, and to wear it, it's tied around the waist or the chest, depending on purpose. The second version has the ends sewed together so it forms a tube, the wearer puts it on around them, and ties a knot or tucks it in in such a way that it stays on.

Here, women wear a sarong tied under their armpits when they shower, especially if they're showering at the communal waterpipe at the side of the road (I pass two such pipes on my way to church on Sunday with people showering, doing dishes, laundry, whatever at the community water pipe). Men tie it around their waists.

Some men wear sarongs out in public, but it tends to be older men, labourers who do this. The younger and more educated wear more western clothing.

However, in the home, it's a whole other thing. Many men - foreigners included - wear sarongs to lounge around the house. And many men wear sarongs to bed as pyjamas. Fahim is one of those men.

Oh, and when they, men, need to, they'll pick up the bottom of the sarong and tie it again around their waists so that it's essentially folded in half. For heavy labour, for example. And for fighting each other, although this is much more visible in the movies than in real life. IRL I haven't seen any fights yet.

Anything else ya wanna know? [Dont Know]

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Quid, I'm just not sure about the pirate shirt and the sarong.
quidscribis
Member # 5124

No, likely not together. But separately, hmm.

The thing about sarongs is . . . You know, I was going to post it, but changed my mind. There are young minds on here. So I'll just say that there are certain benefits to a man in a sarong. And I'll leave it at that. [Blushing]

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing like fencing uniforms. [Big Grin]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Oh, sure, pull a Sara.
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I agree with this completely. Chest hair makes my skin crawl for some reason.
[Frown]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Ralphie, just the description of an Irish-accented officer of the law makes me salivate.
Any person who likes uniforms and accents should watch the Sharpe movie series. Made for TV movies, gripping, very well written and full of uniforms, pig-headed Englishmen, French Cavalry, sharpshooters, Sean Bean, the Spanish Countryside and Historically correctness.

*is a geek*

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foundling
Member # 6348

- posted      Profile for foundling   Email foundling         Edit/Delete Post 
Bob, when you said hanky, my mind just automatically added panky. I mean, it took me awhile to figure out that you werent missing a word in your next posts. And I was desperately curious to know what the gays mans hanky-panky code is. But I dont think I'll look it up.

Edit: damn it, I didnt notice the second page either. my mind just likes to avoid things it doesnt want to see and find things that arent there.

[ January 18, 2005, 11:07 PM: Message edited by: foundling ]

Posts: 499 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Let's just say the hanky is a code for the type of hanky panky desired, and leave it at that.
foundling
Member # 6348

- posted      Profile for foundling   Email foundling         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I think leaving it at that is a great idea, Elizabeth. [Smile]
Posts: 499 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uhleeuh
Member # 6803

Oh, Twinky. You know that Jatraqueros don't count. You're all hot; including the girls. [Wink]

And Kat, I like scruffy too, or at least chin stubble from not shaving for a day.

Posts: 378 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it sad that I just figured out that the Unicorn thread is a dobie of this one?

[Cry]

[ January 18, 2005, 11:16 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

quote:
Oh, Twinky. You know that Jatraqueros don't count. You're all hot; including the girls. [Wink]
That may only be because unlike the "satellite fora," Hatrack does not allow avatars. [Wink]

Anyway, don't worry, I'm not actually heartbroken, just a bit fragile tonight [Smile]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uhleeuh
Member # 6803

*wraps twinky in bubblewrap* That should help. At the very least, people might be inclined to try and burst your bubbles...err, nevermind.
twinky
Member # 693

Heh, thanks. [Smile]
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.