FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What is it about uniforms... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What is it about uniforms...
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Just out of curiousity, after a discussion with Jamie after watching a TV show, what is it about uniforms that girls find sexy?
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
You know that the person takes something seriously. There is a sense of humanity and responsiblity that comes along with a crisp uniform, I think, a sense that this person is a doer of deeds.
Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
The fact that the men wearing them actually keep them clean unlike the general men's atitude towards cloths... [Wink]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
Frankly, uniforms don't do anything for me... so I guess I can't answer that. [Dont Know]

Now foreign accents, on the other hand... THAT's sexy. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you still have your uniform from the theater? Maybe mack's hinting that you should put it on.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Which begs me to ask... do foriegn girls find American accents hot?
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
"The fact that the men wearing them actually keep them clean unlike the general men's atitude towards cloths..."

OK, then explain why I think a man in a fire suit is just THE sexiest thing ever?

Edit: T, I have always wondered that!

[ January 14, 2005, 03:21 PM: Message edited by: Elizabeth ]

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
'Cause he's on fire, baby! [Evil Laugh]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uhleeuh
Member # 6803

- posted      Profile for Uhleeuh   Email Uhleeuh         Edit/Delete Post 
The only uniforms I tend to find attractive are athletic and military uniforms. Police, firemen, postal, McDonalds, etc. never do much for me. I think I like the athletic and military uniforms more for what's being hidden -or what I think is being hidden- behind them than for the uniforms themselves. Athletes and those in the military just tend to be in really good shape and physically, I'd say it's pretty normal to be attracted to those who are fit.

There's also the attitude athletes and those in the military convey to me. They seem to be confident and I really like that, sometimes to the point of liking arrogance. But I'm just weird like that.

So...it's not so much the uniform as it is the whole idea for me.

Edit: English is always a good place to start. [Embarrassed]

[ January 14, 2005, 03:30 PM: Message edited by: Uhleeuh ]

Posts: 378 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Nate -- tell me this...

What is it about a uniform that changes a man?

What I mean is this: I have known guys that might be total slobs around the house, lounge around in sweats, drink beer, yada yada .... but then when they get up and put on their uniform -- they change. They stand up straighter, walk more assuredly, talk with confidence. Like walking out on a stage and taking on a new role. Something about putting on that uniform, shining those shoes -- it does something INSIDE the guy..

and that is what we find attractive.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Military or police uniforms on men and women are somewhat appealing and attractive.
I don't know why. They look better on women in my opinion.
But, they are not as appealing as glasses or as a person who speaks more than one language fluently and plays a musical instrument.
In fact they equal authority and I HATE authority.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
For one thing, they're well-cut, so they look good.

But the main thing is that many women are attracted to authority.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
People. Here is the truth behind the uniform:

The uniform is all that's holding that potential power in check. When the uniform is off, Look Out.

IMO.

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
They stand up straighter, walk more assuredly, talk with confidence.
Well, I have worn a few uniforms that were just so stiff that I was literally unable to slouch. It was like a yardstick that stretched from your butt to the top of your neck. The confidence is probably just a side effect of the uniform, as more blood can flow to the head.

[ January 14, 2005, 04:07 PM: Message edited by: Da_Goat ]

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Which begs me to ask... do foriegn girls find American accents hot?
Oh yeah, baby!
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was in a high school production of South Pacific, some of the guys had to wear uniforms. The transformation was electric. Suddenly, even backstage, they moved purposefully, they stood up straighter.

A uniform means something, especially an army uniform. It's not the uniform that is attractive, it's the attitude a uniform gives to someone unaccostomed to wearing a uniform.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Uniform stands for sacrifice, authority, and commitment - very attractive qualities.
Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
In addition to me previous post: That's why it's the uniform of the powerful that's most attractive. The McDonald's uniform doesn't exactly say "power held in check."
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
I bet it would if McDonalds made buzz cuts mandatory and let their employees carry a gun. [Smile]

[ January 14, 2005, 04:17 PM: Message edited by: Da_Goat ]

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Or at least a cattle prod.
Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
I think much of it comes down to that primal instinct of power and authority, as Mrs. M. said. When a man is in uniform he looks strong and capable. Think of what we associate uniforms with - danger, protection, masculinity, strength, bravery, etc. All that macho man stuff is pretty sexy, though it might not be politically correct. [Big Grin]

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Well, I have worn a few uniforms that were just so stiff that I was literally unable to slouch. It was like a yardstick that stretched from your butt to the top of your neck. The confidence is probably just a side effect of the uniform, as more blood can flow to the head.

A really great example of this is from an episode of Everybody Loves Raymond. Robby always slouches around his parents house in sweatshirts and junk, but when he proposes to whats-her-face he's in his police dress blues and is much more straightened.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Desdemona
Member # 7100

- posted      Profile for Desdemona   Email Desdemona         Edit/Delete Post 
As well, many high school guys are attracted to girls in private school uniforms, I find. When I'm out with my friends, we get hit on a lot when we're in our uniforms. I don't know why, though.
Posts: 459 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

- posted      Profile for J T Stryker   Email J T Stryker         Edit/Delete Post 
Well to quote the Red Hot Chili Peppers, "Catholic school girls rock".
Posts: 1094 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
::refrains from linking a picture in response to that::
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Gumby
Member # 6303

- posted      Profile for Mr.Gumby   Email Mr.Gumby         Edit/Delete Post 
Stryker
Let us not forget Japanese School Girls

(tries not to giggle like one)

Posts: 312 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Frankly, uniforms don't do anything for me... so I guess I can't answer that. [Dont Know]

Now foreign accents, on the other hand... THAT's sexy. [Big Grin]

maui babe - I thought similarly, until I witnessed the devestating result of the two together.

I had a small car accident in Ireland and had to go to the Garda station to fill out a report. I'm not 100% on this, but I'm pretty sure the Garda are first chosen on ability to police and then on being habanero flaming hot.

To this day my friend Anna and I begin salivating everytime we think of the Garda.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
It's because we know that the dress uniform would go so well with a formal ball gown.

Actually, I have no idea. I generally find uniforms a bit of a turn off but that is most likely due to my aversion to all things involved with wars and guns.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
I think men look so good in uniforms because they actually FIT. Half the guys I know wear clothing a size or two too big for them. A uniform actually shows what's there, which is always hot. That's why a well fitting suit is so sexy, too.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I echo the foreign accent thing. I am SO lucky I married a guy with an accent. [Big Grin]

The unlucky part is that I still don't understand what he's saying all the time. [Wall Bash] But I still love him anyway. [Kiss]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
I get what you mean quid!! I had dinner with some friends tonight, including my friend and her Scottish husband. Holy moly, what a thick accent...and the accent isn't even from another language and I STILL had trouble understanding him!
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Ralphie, just the description of an Irish-accented officer of the law makes me salivate.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Men in kilts. Yum! And when they have hairy chests. Yummier!
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Ralphie, just the description of an Irish-accented officer of the law makes me salivate.
Top o' the mornin' to ya!
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I had a small car accident in Ireland and had to go to the Garda station to fill out a report. I'm not 100% on this, but I'm pretty sure the Garda are first chosen on ability to police and then on being habanero flaming hot.

It's not just the Guards.

::winks::

Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Hairy chests?
Ewwwwwwwwwwwww [Angst]

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

How can one not love a hairy chest?
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

On Hugh Jackman, maybe, but on anyone else? Gross!
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Bad Elizabeth, now you've got me daydreaming about my Will... hairy chest, long hair and tats... and he's a friggin thousand miles away... <pout>
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"The fact that the men wearing them actually keep them clean unlike the general men's atitude towards cloths..."

OK, then explain why I think a man in a fire suit is just THE sexiest thing ever?

Trust me, and I'm in a position to know, they look much sexier after fighting a fire than they smell.

If Wes hasn't had a chance to take a shower after a fire on his shift, that's the first place I send him when he comes home. [Big Grin]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Goody, what in the name of all is a "tat?"

Belle, stop breaking down the dream!

[ January 15, 2005, 01:00 PM: Message edited by: Elizabeth ]

Trisha the Severe Hottie
Member # 6000

- posted      Profile for Trisha the Severe Hottie   Email Trisha the Severe Hottie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Because they are ready to jump up at any hour and swing into action. I think there is something to the pole and the hose as well.

I think a man in uniform is a man who will take orders.

Posts: 666 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Good heavens, Trisha!
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, so the theory is that the clothes make the man, eh?

Frankly, uniforms are a way of signalling a certain set of attitudes or values shared among those who put them on. So, the clothing serves as a shorthand for "this is who I am and what I believe in."

Guilds in London leap to mind, where a certain hat and a type of coat were all that were needed to signal ones occupation and status in the community.

People NOT in a uniform might be anything, but chances are they aren't "insiders." Perhaps this harkens back to something even primal in our natures. It's thought that women were the cohesive force in primitive societies (and still are today?) and that they exercised this control by selectively choosing as mates those men who were cooperative parts of the social grouping. Of course, the other way to look at this is that humans in a group have a higher survival rate than those outside of a group, especially in our pre-history. So, who survived but the joiners? Most of the rugged individualism was bred out of us, by our own consent.

Of course, in today's society we still retain vestiges of this prehistoric imperative toward group membership.

- the preference of women toward a man in uniform.
- the use of well-cut suits to create a positive impression
- the rush to mimic successful celebrities' clothing and hairstyles (Anyone remember power ties or Nancy Reagan's red dresses?)
- the hanky-code among gay men

The main thing to remind ourselves when falling in love with the outer shell is that it's a disguise...a costume. It may signal an underlying truth, or it may hide a person who put on that attire in order to mislead.

I think Dana should be home soon. I need to go put on my pirate shirt.

[ January 15, 2005, 01:42 PM: Message edited by: Bob_Scopatz ]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Jeez, Bob, can't a woman just have the hots for a guy in a fire suit woithout it sounding so...psychological?

PS Don't forget to wear that big pirate belt thing that crosses over the chest...

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
- the hanky-code among gay men
Never heard of that one. I've seen some of them wear rainbow-colored items, though..
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I googled "hanky code" and got a bunch of stuff I didn't know about various groups out there who wear hankies.

I'm not going to post any of the links because they are all basically sexual in nature.

But the general codes are:

Color of hanky indicates a TYPE of preference.
Which rear pocke the hanky is in indicates whether you are interested in being the person who DOES that thing or has it done to you.

Apparently this has turned into codes for Christians, fetishists, gays, goths, and people with various sexually transmitted diseases.

All I can say is it's probably useful to know that an orange hanky in the right rear jeans pocket means "Nothing right now, thank you!"

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Bob, this reminds me of a rahter disturbing thing I learned about highway rest areas.
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

I found a "clean" site that illustrates this a bit.

Christian Hanky Code

Perhaps a bit offensive to some Christians, but it's really sort of funny and not TOO offensive to share. I hope. Someone with better grounding in theology and a less snarky attitude about Christianity in general could've done an even funnier job of this. But there it is for our use in understanding "hanky codes" at any rate.

[ January 15, 2005, 02:10 PM: Message edited by: Bob_Scopatz ]

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Elizabeth. I have recently decided, on the advice of a friend from a State Patrol, to no longer sleep overnight in rest areas when I take road trips.

Yikes!
[Eek!]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.