FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Jatraquero Recipe Site Thread - with request for new users on p. 9 (Page 2)

This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  11  12  13   
Author Topic: The Jatraquero Recipe Site Thread - with request for new users on p. 9
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and I registered, so please give me rights. [Smile]

And when I logged in, it gave me an error message -- um, something about the user already existing? -- but it also welcomed me. [Dont Know] I could not get this error to repeat.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
The slash is there because PHP inserts slashes such as that automatically, but not every application is set up to deal with them when they then turn up again.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Rivka, can you use margarine in leg of lamb? I know you can't in some recipes.

When listing prep methods, I forgot my favorite: "microwave"!

I have lots of recipes; I'll add some tomorrow. I think. Monday at the latest. [Smile]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Well, I only skimmed the recipe. But margarine can substitute for butter in a LOT of recipes -- usually with very little difference in taste.

Some things there are significant taste differences -- croissants, for example -- but the margarine version is acceptable.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Third, I'm assuming that things like the leg of lamb aren't flagged as kosher because of the butter? They make this great stuff called margarine now . . .
Actually, I was going to ask you both for the wording on the kosher description - something that this could be made kosher, but might require substitutions. Also, I don't know all the rules, and I want to air on the side of caution.

As for the slashes, I'm still having trouble with certain things being escaped more than once, and I can't track it all down. It's doing better - the lamb recipe had you slashing a 2\\\\\" grid pattern at one point. Edit: I think it's fixed now, but if people can pay attention for the error whenever they use quotes it would be good.

Dana, Bob, and Rivka, you are all have add/edit rights now. I believe that's everyone who's signed up so far.

Dagonee

[ January 23, 2005, 09:03 AM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Cleaned up the UI a little. I still need spend some time fixing up the CSS, but now it's a little more logical. Everything you can do is at the top. Also, you can now browse by users, so you can see all Hobbe's wonderful recipes on one screen.

Anyway, just wanted you to know that the add/edit links have moved a little, but they are still there if you are logged in.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
[Blushing]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Actually, I was going to ask you both for the wording on the kosher description - something that this could be made kosher, but might require substitutions.
Actually, that sounds pretty good like that. Maybe call it "Kosher-friendly"? [Wink] Or perhaps "Kosher-adaptable."

quote:
Also, I don't know all the rules, and I want to air on the side of caution.

Basics (at least in terms of recipes): no meat products combined with dairy products; no insects or arthropods; no snails or mollusks; and no mixing fish and meat.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Can fish be mixed with dairy products?
rivka
Member # 4859

Yep. Mmmmmmm, salmon with butter.
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
it worked. I put "notes" in the steps of the recipe, so that kind of put off the step-by-step part of it, but I guess people will be able to figure it out.

Thanks!

Good site.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Thanks! Your recipe seems easily enough to follow, Bob. Those cookies look great.

I changed Kosher to Kosher-adaptable, and added the Tuna Pate.

quidscribis, if you're around, I need some info on Halal. I'm reticent to add recipes to it until I know for sure what the requirements are. Also, a less definitive word, similar to Kosher-adaptable, would be good. I absolutely do not want to mislead or give the impression I know more than I do about the religious diets.

Dagonee

amira tharani
Member # 182

- posted      Profile for amira tharani   Email amira tharani         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, Dagonee. Pretty much anything that doesn't contain pork or pork products or alcohol will be adaptable for Muslims - you can buy Halal meat instead of ordinary meat so all non-pork meat dishes are fine. Vegetarian dishes are of course fine. There are different views on using alcohol in cooking - the vast majority of Muslims would, I think, not touch alcohol in any form and not have it in their homes. However, some Muslims would be perfectly happy to use wine etc in cooking as long as all the alcohol is evaporated during the cooking process. Does that make sense?
Posts: 1550 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. He wouldn't give me the cookie recipe.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I know where you can get it.

[Razz]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Make him walk home again, dkw. You have that to hang over him for only a couple more months.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
Okay, Dagonee. Pretty much anything that doesn't contain pork or pork products or alcohol will be adaptable for Muslims - you can buy Halal meat instead of ordinary meat so all non-pork meat dishes are fine. Vegetarian dishes are of course fine. There are different views on using alcohol in cooking - the vast majority of Muslims would, I think, not touch alcohol in any form and not have it in their homes. However, some Muslims would be perfectly happy to use wine etc in cooking as long as all the alcohol is evaporated during the cooking process. Does that make sense?
Perfectly. Then I'll go with Halal-adaptable, and it will be for anything without any pork products and without alcohol.

Thanks,

Dagonee

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Can you maybe change "sides" to "sides and sauces"? I have a tartar sauce recipe I'd like to post, and it really doesn't fit in any of those courses.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! This looks like great fun. I registered, Dag -

[Smile]

[ January 23, 2005, 03:28 PM: Message edited by: Shan ]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Changed to sides and sauces, and Shan now has add/edit rights.
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks great Dag! I'm looking forward to trying some of the recipes.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Yay! I'll add Nathan's Favorite Recipe after the birthday party I have to take him to!

thanks, Dag -

[Smile]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Um, it would be nice if we could see the descriptions. I put "important" stuff in there. [Razz] [Wink]
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Oops. It's fixed now - small bug.

If I may rant about PHP for a minute, is there no way to force it to use explicit variable declaration? I'd much rather have the script fail than just blithely go on with an empty value when I mistype a variable name.

Dagonee

fugu13
Member # 2859

*chuckle*

Now you know one of the many reasons I dislike PHP.

However, I do believe one of the error reporting levels will require that: http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.error-reporting.php

Of course, this would also mean that should your script fail for a non-variable related reason it might let out information allowing its compromise.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Rivka, there's no kosher gelatin because of the horse feet, right? I mean, they're supposed to synthesize the stuff now, but who knows... If you know of a kosher brand of gelatin, I'll change it.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

PHP was not my choice, and some of the features are really cool. On the plus side, I've written on search plug-in that was really just cutting and pasting SQL into some string variables and this application in PHP, so I think I got the hang of it pretty quickly.

By the way, you were so right about strictly separating layout and content. It was so nice to pick the right tag and slap a class on it without thinking about how I wanted it to look, then just tweak the CSS until it's presentable.

I may be asking questions about fine tuning some layout, but I'm not going to work on that for at least a week. Only bug fixes and Law Review editing for now. [Smile]

Dagonee

rivka
Member # 4859

There is kosher gelatin, actually. Comes from fish skins or the hides of kosher beef, and has been commercially available for over 10 years. Link

*fondly remembers the first time she had a real marshmallow*

dkw
Member # 3264

I added a pickle recipe since that category was empty.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

I believe E_NOTICE is the level of error reporting you want. If its PHP 5, E_STRICT may hold promise as well.

Yes, PHP is very easy to use, partly because it includes a lot "out of the box". Of course, most of what's out of the box is overly simplified, incredibly redundant, badly designed, and generally crufty.

The main reason PHP is so dominant in CMS's and similar is that its everywhere. I so wish that something else held a similar position, sometimes . . . I mean, there are numerous superior languages.

Hmmm, it shouldn't be too hard to reimplement certain common PHP CMS's in other languages . . . interesting idea.

rivka
Member # 4859

Um . . . do people want to know if there are spelling issues?

If anyone notices any on mine, I do want to know (so I can edit).

Dagonee
Member # 5818

I'm worried about the side effects you pointed out of exposing flaws. Also, I think it might be hard to isolate within my own module, and I'm actually a little scared to see what's going on in the CMS code.

This is the first development I've done since leaving Xcalibur that I've enjoyed. It's good to know I didn't lose the ability to enjoy it.

Dagonee

Dagonee
Member # 5818

I'd like to know about spelling errors. I've been spell checking mine since you pointed out Tabasco.
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm really enjoying this. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Thanks Dag! [The Wave]

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

Yes.

Edit: to spelling issues.

[ January 23, 2005, 04:17 PM: Message edited by: dkw ]

fugu13
Member # 2859

Heheh, yeah, I'd be scared about the CMS code thing too (that's another thing in PHP, its hard to separate bits of code from each other if the interact at all). For instance, that recent vulnerability that resulted in a type of message board being exploited came about because the message board evaluated stuff that included bits from the user. Why a message board should be evaluating stuff, much less stuff that comes from the user, is beyond me. That sort of stuff's pretty common in PHP projects, though.

[ January 23, 2005, 04:20 PM: Message edited by: fugu13 ]

rivka
Member # 4859

Ok, dkw. I believe it's garlicky, and cream of tartar.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

fugu, are you kidding me? (I know you're not, that was rhetorical. [Smile] )

I remember demonstrating to a client why they wanted to pay us to redo their existing code. I entered a note description and deleted their entire customer table.

Now that's the kind of demonstration that makes a sale. [Smile]

Dagonee
*Clearly, we were working on a copy.

rivka
Member # 4859

Is the number of times a recipe has been viewed something we need? Personally, I'm finding it a tad annoying . . .
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
This is very cool, Dag. Thanks for all your work. I'm gonna register and then I'll think about submitting a recipe or two. [Hat]
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Desdemona
Member # 7100

- posted      Profile for Desdemona   Email Desdemona         Edit/Delete Post 
ooooh... I could add my truffles recipe.. and my pizza one...
Posts: 459 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Desdemona
Member # 7100

So once I've registered, how do I go about submitting a recipe?
Posts: 459 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
Is the number of times a recipe has been viewed something we need? Personally, I'm finding it a tad annoying . . .
Is it annoying having it at all? Would it be OK at the bottom of the recipe screen if I took it off the lists?
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Desdemona and punwit should have rights to add recipes now. Click the link at the top of the screen. You may have to refresh the browser first.
rivka
Member # 4859

*shrug* I'm mostly finding it a pain because if I refresh the screen, or go back to see a recipe again, it ups the count.

It's triggering my not-so-latent paranoid tendencies. [Wink] I've also never really understood the point of number-of-times-viewed counters.

Maybe it's just me. [Dont Know] Not a big deal, in any case.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

Ah, I see. I was going to try to write a routine to only increment by one view per session, but it didn't seem worth it. I took it off the list but left it in the recipe view screen.

Dagonee

rivka
Member # 4859

Danke. [Smile]

Thanks again for all the work you're putting into this! [Hat]

Dagonee
Member # 5818

No problem. Like I said, it's good to know 11 years didn't burn me out so much that I can't enjoy it as a hobby.

I'll have to get Eve to post her roast cauliflower recipe.

[ January 23, 2005, 05:09 PM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

Desdemona
Member # 7100

Thank you! [Hail]
Desdemona
Member # 7100

Hey Dagonee, do you mind maybe adding a Chinese category under Cuisine?
  This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  11  12  13   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.