FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Jatraquero Recipe Site Thread - with request for new users on p. 9 (Page 4)

This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  11  12  13   
Author Topic: The Jatraquero Recipe Site Thread - with request for new users on p. 9
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Bah. You don't really want to be friends with a vegetarian, anyway. [Razz]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
If there is a vegan gelatin alternative that can be substituted in any recipe, then gelatin dishes can be vegan, right? I'm assuming people will adapt recipes as appropriate to meet their needs.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if any of them are clean substitutions. They're totally different substances.

I'm sorry I came off kind of harsh, ketchupqueen. I know you're just trying to be accommodating, and I'm not trying to jump down your throat... my real beef is with the people who falsely claim to be vegetarian, spreading disinformation that can be a real problem for the real vegetarians.

Of which I'm not one, by the way. Had me a nice ham and egg bagel this morning. [Wink] So you can still be friends with me, according to Tom. [Evil]

Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
As I said, soy-based flavored gelatin, coming soon (maybe)...
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
So what do you call a vegetarian like my mom? She won't eat any meat, but will eat milk, cheese and eggs. Basically, if it didn't DIE in order for her to eat it, she will eat it. (like cows don't die producing milk). (Some could argue eggs- but our eggs are non-fertilized so nothing died).

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Ovo-lacto-vegetarian.

There's a category for it. [Smile]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
Farmgirl, she sounds like a classic vegetarian... ovo-lacto vegetarian, to be precise, which is what vegetarian means in the US. If she didn't eat dairy products or eggs, she'd be a vegan.

The problem with gelatin (and, actually, lots of brands of cheese) is that something DID have to die to produce it. If nothing had to die to produce gelatin, it would be vegetarian (though probably not vegan).

Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Farmgirl, did you get my email response on Thursday? I don't want you to think I'm ignoring you.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Soy gelatin might be vegan.

[ January 24, 2005, 02:02 PM: Message edited by: ketchupqueen ]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
As Tom and KQ said, I think if people are vegan, kosher, etc., they will be smart enough to make the appropriate substitutes. Except that many vegetarians eat cheese, thinking they are being cow-friendly, when most chees is made with rennet from the poor bovine's stomach. (just an aside)

Hey, I am registered and not on Dag's list.
(feels left out)

Dkw'a style of cooking is like my grandmother's. When I read "Dandelion Wine" as a kid, the grandmother was so much like mine. Have you ever read it, Dana?
(another aside, sorry)

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. I wondered about that the other day when I saw the jello and tuna in the vegetarian recipe. I clicked it and thought "ewww." I don't consider someone who eats fish to be a vegetarian, but I guess some people do. [Dont Know] For arguement's sake, however, Zeugma is correct on the "clinical" definition of a vegetarian.

To each his own, I suppose.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

It was mistake. Sheesh! I entered the first 3 recipes in the database directly, and mistyped some numbers. [Big Grin]

[ January 24, 2005, 02:14 PM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Just to clarify-- I never mark fish vegetarian. [Razz]
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
*hands Dag some tofu* We still love you.

space opera

edit: spelling...so important

[ January 24, 2005, 02:13 PM: Message edited by: Space Opera ]

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Elizabeth, where are you? Trader Joe's and Bristol Farms both usually carry a large selection of vegetarian cheese (no animal rennet). Some Whole Foods carry it, too.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Liz, you registerd as edob, and that is on the list.

Dagonee

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

KQ, I am not a vgetarisn any longer, but it I just wanted to point out the rennet issue. I live in W. Massachusetts, in a land called The Happy Valley.

Dag, oh. Sorry. I am no longer deeply hurt.

Edit: I thought my "Hatrack handle" would be the one to show up, can I change it?

[ January 24, 2005, 02:26 PM: Message edited by: Elizabeth ]

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't seem to find how to add recipes? Is that function not there at the moment?
Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
Edit: I thought my "Hatrack handle" would be the one to show up, can I change it?
I'll change it for you.

quote:
I can't seem to find how to add recipes? Is that function not there at the moment?
You have to be registered and logged in, and I have to give you user rights.

As soon as I receive notification from the system of your registration, I'll give you rights.

Dagonee

Dagonee
Member # 5818

Paul, you have rights now - the add link is at the upper right.
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks [Smile]
Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Dag, it just occurred to me. Do you by any chance have a paper or something that you are procrastinating writing? Hmm?
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Nah. I did reschedule my independent research project, but that means I'm not procrastinating on it any more. [Big Grin]
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Just checking.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

maui babe, you have add/edit rights now.
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
Haven't read the whole thread yet... I saw it a couple of days ago, then got sick and now that I'm back at work, I see it's grown to four pages.

Anyway, I signed up and I've added a couple of recipes - just what I can do from memory here at work.

Great job Dag. But another suggestion (of course) - if you could change "Chinese" to "Asian", or perhaps make an Asian category on its own.

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I was planning on adding additional categories as needed. I think I'd prefer to have the different countries individually.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Hey Paul, I note you have two vegetable stews posted. Are they different?

If it was an accident, can you let me know what led to it. I'm wondering if I need to add something to check for double posting if this happened with a slow connection and a second click.

Thanks,

Dagonee

quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
As a side note to the vegetarian issue - at one point in time, I ate meat only occassionally and never cooked it myself, so I called myself a social meat eater. That seems to be a much better definition than this pollo/pesco stuff. Which I hadn't heard of until this thread.

Thanks, Dag!

Oh, hey, can we add links to other recipe sites? Like mine? I have recipes already at http://www.chilli-chocolate.laurieashton.com. Pretty please with a cherry on top? [Kiss]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

Dag-
Not sure. I don't think I double clicked, I'm on a DSL connection, but they are duplicates, so its some form of error. I probably did submit twice, somehow.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

quid: You're under Fun and Useful Links now. Later, I'll pull more links together and make a little module to put those links at the bottom of the screen. But for now, it's in the links section.

[ January 24, 2005, 09:32 PM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

Dagonee
Member # 5818

No problem, Paul. It happens, and it can be programmed around. But if it doesn't happen too often it's not worth the effort.

Instead of using the non-existent delete function, I'll just leave them both. You can edit one if you ever want to add another recipe.

Thanks!

Dagonee

Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

ok. I'm sure I've got another recipe for soups and stews [Smile]

My guess is I had the page open in two places and hit submit on both of them. I've been known to do that before.

quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Dag: Yay!!!! You're the coolest! Thanks! [Kiss]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
I can't wait to try the cranberry chicken recipe. Nummy!!! I'll do that next Sunday . . .
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

If you have 3 crockpots, you can do a main dish, a starch, and a dessert all in the crockpot. I love my crockpots. (I only have 2, but I borrow my mother-in-law's on occasion.)
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Can we have a Mexican section, Dag?
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Oh, I also have several North African (Middle Eastern) recipes. I don't know if they require their own section, or if I should just find a spot for them elsewhere.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I just put my grandmother's American chopsuey recipe in.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I'll add a Middle-Eastern section, but later today.

Elizabeth, were you hinting that you needed another category?

It's easy to add a new category to a recipe later, so don't let the lack of a category stop anyone. [Smile]

Annie
Member # 295

And a Mexican section? [Smile]

I got a few of mine up, and now I'll go to work and daydream up what else I'll add.

This is so much fun!

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Dag, do you mean an "attempt to write-gramdmother's-recipes" category?
Dagonee
Member # 5818

[Laugh]
Dagonee
Member # 5818

OK, because the cuisine list is going to get unweildy very quickly, I'm going to implement ketchupqueen's previous suggestion and add regions. I'm thinking:

Americas (North and South)
American
Mexican
Central American (does this break down by country??)
Brazillian
etc.

Northern European
French
English
Scandanavian (should this break down by country?)
Polish
etc.

Mediteranean
Spanish
Italian
Greek
Turkish
etc.

African
Don't know any specific food types here except Ethiopian

Asian
Chinese
Japanes
Indian
Thai

Does Australia need it's own grouping?

I'll also ad "other XXX" to each group, and people can put the country in the description. WHen we get more than a few in a country, I can add new categories.

Let me know what you think and I'll implement this tonight.

Dagonee

dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that until/unless the categories start to fill up it would be better to keep them broad and have more detail in the description.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

My recipes are Algerian. I suppose that's African, but also Mediterranean.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

African, Asian, and European would each exclude their portions that are Mediterranean.

Edit: I also intend to add the ability to list all the recipes in a category group, which should help with the problem.

Dagonee

[ January 25, 2005, 01:25 PM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

You should definitely break down Scandinavia; Norwegians and Swedes will get annoyed otherwise. [Wink] [Razz]

Personally, I'd do Eastern European (Polish, Russian, Ukranian, all the Baltic states would be in there but could probably go under other, Czech, etc.) and Western European (Irish, French, Scandinavian, English, etc.) rather than the way you have it set up. Mediterranean looks good to me, though, except for Turkish; Turkish should go in Middle Eastern (which you don't have, either.)

Annie
Member # 295

But Middle Eastern is Mediterranean...
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oh, and I'd group Australia with "Oceana"; Indonesia, Australia, Singapore, etc.
  This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  11  12  13   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.