FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » There's a Mouse in my House (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: There's a Mouse in my House
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
You *wish* it were as innocent as care free as kissing a smoker.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RackhamsRazor
Member # 5254

- posted      Profile for RackhamsRazor   Email RackhamsRazor         Edit/Delete Post 
we once had a family of mice living in our grill. My dad went out to cook burgers, lifted the grill lid and there was a momma mouse and all her babies sitting right in the middle of the grill. We cooked the burgers in the house on the stove that day. [Smile]
Posts: 306 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
Shortly after we moved to Maui, I kept getting mad at my daughter for putting the dog's food in the gas grill on our lanai. I made her clean it out, but the next time I'd go to use the grill, there was dog food in there again. I couldn't figure out why she kept putting dog food in the grill....

It was several years later I realized it was rats doing it. DOH! [Blushing]

I've since apologized to my daughter, but we laugh about it now. [Laugh]

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
ANNNND UPDATE:

The morning after setting the traps, only one had been tampered with. The snickers was eaten, the mouse had gotten away. It was the trap between the washer and dryer, and the glue part was covered with lint, apparently carried there by our rodent friend. He is either very wiley or very lucky to have had lint on his feet.

Another day and a night later, and no other traps have been touched. Also, there have been no more mouse sightings. This leaves us three options.

1. The mouse has gone away, scared by the fact that we are trying to capture it.

2. The mouse is asleep. It was a large piece of snickers he ate, and perhaps it is hibernating now.

3. The mouse does not like snickers, and my roommates and I are just too unobservant to have noticed the mouse on its quest for other food in the apartment.

I prefer option number one. But I suppose it is just too early to tell.

The Waiting Continues...

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never had a mouse just go away.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prolixshore
Member # 4496

I know, Noemon, but a boy can dream!
Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myr
Member # 5956

- posted      Profile for Myr   Email Myr         Edit/Delete Post 
::pat pat::
Posts: 105 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, I am giving you option 4.

The mouse is not a mouse, but a shrew.
Shrews communicate by sonar.
The shrews found out you are trying to destroy them, and moved on.
Cats will usually not kill shrews, as they are nasty, hateful, highly aggressive creatures.
They tend to stick to the floor level, so you would not see droppings in higher cabinets.

Edit to add this quote from The Withches:

"The child is no longer a child. The child is a mouse.

(shudder)

That would be option 5.

[ March 18, 2005, 12:08 PM: Message edited by: Elizabeth ]

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prolixshore
Member # 4496

I get the feeling, Liz, that you are not fond of the shrew eh?

As a side note, my favorite local bluegrass band, which was supposed to disband, got back together and played a show last night. I missed it, but I hope it means they are planning on stickin' with it.

Sorry for the non-mouse related semi-news that nobody, including Liz probably, really cares about. [Wink]

--ApostleRadio

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Well, how can I care if I do not know their name?
Also, Del McCoury will be at Shakori Hills, dear.
GO!!!

PS We had a Shrew Incident one winter, and it was scary. They have no fear! And it was one of those things where we caught and transported the nasty guy down to Amherst(they need some action), and when we got home, there was another one. Turns out, there were tons. My husband went from gently catchng and transporting them to whacking them repeatedly with a broom.

[ March 18, 2005, 12:16 PM: Message edited by: Elizabeth ]

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prolixshore
Member # 4496

Their name is Salt Creek. You have not heard of them. But if you have, that would be cool. They would think it was weird to have a fan way up in the north. [Smile]

Also, I would go to the Festival, as you have suggested, except I have nobody to go with. Unfortunately my friends do not understand how I can listen to bluegrass without scraping my own eyes out with a spoon in pain. Perhaps if you were going, but you are skipping out on me. [Razz]

--ApostleRadio

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Well, Shakori Hills is more about old time and Donna the Buffalo than bluegrass. Anyone else you could entice them with?
How far away are you from Silk Hope? Honest, if it is not far, you would have fun all by yourself.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Here is the band list. I was wrong about Del, sorry, it was Nickel Creek.
There is really an amazing mix this year, and your friends, if they like music at all, would find something to like.
http://www.shakorihills.org/index.php?section=4&PHPSESSID=4a175d3af4486ee7c2c71dd51f3252f7

prolixshore
Member # 4496

My friends like Metal and Hip-Hop, so I think that saying they like music would be a stretch. [Smile]

Never been a fan of Nickel Creek. And the drive is a little over 4 hours for me. If it were a little closer, then yeah, I'd probably go by myself. But I don't think I'll make it up there this time. Maybe another time. I'll just stick with the Festivals here in South Carolina for now.

We now return you to your usual mouse hunting thread...

--ApostleRadio

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.