FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » How do you answer the phone at work? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: How do you answer the phone at work?
Zotto!
Member # 4689

- posted      Profile for Zotto!   Email Zotto!         Edit/Delete Post 
"Aloha, this is the Kilauea Point National Wildlife Refuge, Jeremy speaking. How can I help you?"

It can actually get quite musical, since I'm usually bored enough that I feel I have to alternate the pitches and intonation of what I'm saying. *grin*

Heh. It beats my old job in Seattle where I'd be the one calling the customers to annoy them with new deals on used guitars.

Posts: 1595 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
"Dr. [Name]'s lab."

The calls I get on my home phone always seem to happen when I'm asleep, so it usually goes, "H'lo?"

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
MSF-TGA, slucham.

When I get bored,

MSF-TGA dzien dobry

when I get bored

Dzien dobry, MSF TGA

when I know it's from portugal

MSF-TGA Bom dia

When I know this is from the English guy's wife

Hello?

when it's an internal number

yeah? or what? or get lost.

when it's from the boss

Hi Sergio, this is Kamila.

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HesterGray
Member # 7384

- posted      Profile for HesterGray   Email HesterGray         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"It's a great day at Petland, this is Jane"
I like that one. [Smile]
Posts: 486 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imenimok
Member # 7679

- posted      Profile for imenimok           Edit/Delete Post 
I have a thing against scripting. Even when my job "requires" it, I strip it down. For one thing, I think it's obvious and phony to use scripting, and for another, if I'm calling a place of business, I obviously have a reason, and I don't want to sit through a spiel before I even get to talk.

</rant>

Only about three people ever call me, so I just say "This is ____"

Posts: 226 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
I have almost always used "[company name], this is Karen." I hardly ever get phone calls at my current job, so this works well.

*thinks* I can't remember how I answered when I worked at the copyshop, where I dealt with the public much more often. It might have been "Thanks for calling [shopname], this is Karen, how can I help you?" But I'm not sure.

Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

- posted      Profile for scottneb           Edit/Delete Post 
"Evaluations, Airman Nebeker"

That's the way I'm supposed to do it. But, mostly I jumble the words so badly to intentionally throw the person off. That way they don't have my name when I tell them they jumped the chain of command. If they really want my name, they'll ask for it later in the conversation, I'm not into giving people more information than they need.

Posts: 1660 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
"Sbandonate ogni speranza o voi che mi parlate."

[Big Grin]

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

- posted      Profile for scottneb           Edit/Delete Post 
I can make up words too, Scott. [Smile]

[ April 14, 2005, 10:10 AM: Message edited by: scottneb ]

Posts: 1660 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Since I work from home: "hello?" [Big Grin]

When I worked in the office, I'd change it to this: "Hello?"

And in my previous job I would sometimes switch it up and answer: "Hello!"

I'm not one to work in the customer service arena...

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susie Derkins
Member # 7718

- posted      Profile for Susie Derkins   Email Susie Derkins         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
That's from an Anastasia Krumpnik book.

I'm astonished I remember that.

And I'm impressed!

I think Zotto's is the funniest, though. Sometimes we'd answer with Aloha at the florist, just to be funny.

Posts: 285 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
starlooker
Member # 7495

- posted      Profile for starlooker   Email starlooker         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh! I remember the Anastasia reference, too. I've always wanted to do that.

In the mornings, "Student Financial Aid, this is Kirsten, may I help you?"

In the afternoons, I generally don't have to identify my place of internship because all calls are screened through the receptionist, so I just say, "Hello, this is Kirsten."

And I'm with the telephonophobes. Until this past year, I had HUGE, HUGE, HUGE amounts of telephone anxiety. Huge. I explained this to some people once. Like, the 6-digit dialing thing. "Okay, I'm going to call so-and-so." Dial 6 digits. Hang up. "Wait. What'll I say if it's an answering machine?" Think up a script for myself. Dial 6 digits. Hang up. Dial 6 digits. Hang up. "Wait, what'll I say if someone else answers?" Dial 6 digits. Hang up. "Wait, what if it's a machine and I forget my phone number because I keep dialing his?" Write down my name and phone number and a shorthand. Dial 6 digits. Hang up. Deep breaths. Dial 6 digits. Pause. Pause. Dial the last digit. Pray frantically that no one is there. Etc.

Unfortunately, I was explaining this to a bunch of counselors-in-training and they all looked at me very strangely, which was the first time I realized that not everyone goes through that.

(I've always had a somewhat easier time answering the phone than making calls, by the way.)

Seriously, though, since this past year... most of that's all cleared up. Now and then I get attacks, and I still like to have my phone number written down near me, but it's all good, overall [Smile]

Posts: 99 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
"Hello, this is Kate."
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imenimok
Member # 7679

- posted      Profile for imenimok           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I feel your pain, starlooker. I hate making phone calls so much that I am too chicken to call my landlord and complain about my outrageously obnoxious neighbor.
Posts: 226 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't work, so I'm just a "Hallo!" person, but I am also one of those who is afraid of making phone calls.

[Dont Know]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
At my old job, it was "<company name>, can I help you?" if I was available, and "<company name>, please hold a moment" if I had to finish dealing wtih another customer first. These days, if I answer it at all, it's just "<firstname> <lastname>," but nobody ever calls me here, so if my boss isn't in the office (we share one about the size of a broom closet) to pick it up, I just let the voicemail get it since it's invariably for him anyway.
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
"Thank you for calling Domino's Pizza. This is Daniel. Would you like to hear our specials?"
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
"Tech support, <insert specific line they called on> line, this is Mike speaking, can I have your first and last name?"

Not for much longer but...

Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glaphyra the Righteous
Member # 6995

- posted      Profile for Glaphyra the Righteous           Edit/Delete Post 
When I was a child, it was:

"Helmbock's residence, Sara speaking. How may I help you?"

After many and sundry changes as I wound my way through jobs, it's now usually:

"Hello, this is Sara" (a'la the elegent simplicity of katharina).

Edit: and since the campus phonebook was misprinted, I often answer one of my officemate's phones with:

"Hello, this is M--- G---'s desk." (*suppressed giggle)

People are often trying to phone the Women's Studies Department when his phone rings, and this results in no end of hilarity. A, ha. Especially since he doesn't have voicemail, and so it rings and rings and rings ... and rings again and rings and rings ...

--CT

[ April 14, 2005, 12:50 PM: Message edited by: Glaphyra the Righteous ]

Posts: 93 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ecneics
Member # 7817

- posted      Profile for ecneics           Edit/Delete Post 
Ho ______, this is Patrick.
Posts: 3 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glaphyra the Righteous
Member # 6995

- posted      Profile for Glaphyra the Righteous           Edit/Delete Post 
(Welcome to Hatrack, ecneics. Are you a science fan? [Smile] )
Posts: 93 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susie Derkins
Member # 7718

- posted      Profile for Susie Derkins   Email Susie Derkins         Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes I answer "Ya-Hey cousin!," but only when it's my friend Abby. To anyone else I might be construed as racist.
Posts: 285 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I only answer "This is Jeromy" when it's an outside phone number that I don't recognize. Otherwise I say "Hello, _____" based on the name that appears on my phone. If it's our home phone, I answer "Hi sweetie!"
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Your wife doesn't mind you calling everyone who calls your house "sweetie"?
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
"This is William."
Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.