FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Do I talk too much? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Do I talk too much?
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I love Hatrack
Then why don't you marry it? </7-year old>
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jay:
Ok, I know you all are mad at me politically...

another thread
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tater
Member # 7035

- posted      Profile for Tater           Edit/Delete Post 
You still don't check your spelling. At all.

but I hope you are "appy" by your birthday, too.

*rolls eyes*

Posts: 925 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Stepping in to clarify. I deleted the other thread, the mods didn't, in case anyone was unsure. Unfortunately, then I had to be away from the internet for the rest of the day. Sorry about that.

I deleted it because it had served its purpose of letting Mr. Squicky know how his comment could be taken, and was quickly degenerating into something I did not want to be associated with and did not feel was appropriate for this forum. Yes, I had just said I wasn't going to delete it. Apparently I lied.

I think that Mr. Squicky has conducted himself very well about this issue. Once I questioned his usage he examined it, realized it wasn't appropriate, and apologized. Repeatedly. Not just about the word I questioned, but the entire comment. I realize that this apology cannot be verified, since I deleted it. I regret that part of the deletion. I had no idea that this would turn into a vilify-Squicky opportunity.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
Damnit why can't it be my trasdmak to have elling mistacs?
Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

It certainly can be, if you want it to be. You just also have to accept that a large number of people will take it as a sign you are lazy, don't care what others think of you, don't respect us enough to take the time to proofread your posts, and/or are an idiot.

Seriously, everyone makes a mistake or two every now and then. But proofreading will catch most of them, and will make people much more likely to respond to what you are saying instead of picking on your spelling.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mimsies
Member # 7418

- posted      Profile for mimsies   Email mimsies         Edit/Delete Post 
I proofread, and still make many mistakes. Maybe I'm just an idiot.

I am too lazy to copy and paste it into a word processor, run grammar and spell check, fix it, and copy paste it back.

Hey Sid, I don't suppose you're dyslexic? (I am)

Posts: 772 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alluvion
Member # 7462

- posted      Profile for alluvion   Email alluvion         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm very quiet in person. I just act like a screwball in the places that merit screwballishness.

(P.M., am I getting anywhere near a landmark with these little posts? - more to the point, what does posting an LM buy me?)

Posts: 551 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alluvion
Member # 7462

I like potstickers (steamed) with lots of soy sauce.
Posts: 551 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mimsies
Member # 7418

i like veggie potstickers if not too spicy
Posts: 772 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alluvion
Member # 7462

I like veggie-burgers if not too mustardly.
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
Aw the bitching fest has turned back to fluff.

I love seeing hatrackers bare their teeth and hiss at each other.

Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

mimsies, there are downloadable spellcheckers that you can use in your browser, if you'd like to go that route. I would link you to one, but I don't use one... I have a little hardcover spelling dictionary sitting next to my computer and I look up words when I'm not sure. [Smile] I'm a throw-back in a lot of ways. Anyway, rivka links to them about once a month, or googling will find you one.

Please note that I'm not saying I think you need one, if your posts are particularly sprinkled with typos I haven't noticed. But if you'd like the convenience of a spellcheck program without cutting and pasting, they're out there.

Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
I use ieSpell , but it's only for Internet Explorer based browsers.
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mimsies
Member # 7418

Cool, would like a spellchecker that is compatable with the browser Safari (on MAC).

I like the dictionary, but to be honest, I reverse what I read and what I type/write regularly, and usually just don't see when I make an error. In fact I've corected thing that look wrong to me, but turned out to be right. My brain is a mess!

On the upside, I'm really good at anagrams. The game "TextTwist" on Yahoo is a piece'o'cake!

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, now I'm starving. I want potstickers!

*settles for red pepper hummus*

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
I learned how to spell.

As to words I may be confused about- I usually just toss them into Google. If google says "Did you mean ________" I notice my mistake. If I'm still not sure of it, I put it into Dictionary.com's search engine. If it doesn't come up there, it usually has the spelling listed under possible matches. I rarely do this, however.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mimsies
Member # 7418

I LOVE dictionary.com! I do use them if it is a really hard word. I'll copy and paste from them. I mess up mostly on easy words. They maybe easy, but they are easy to mess up on too!

I get the word of the day from dictionary.com. It is a good way to guarantee I check my e-mail every day.

Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think that Mr. Squicky has conducted himself very well about this issue. Once I questioned his usage he examined it, realized it wasn't appropriate, and apologized. Repeatedly. Not just about the word I questioned, but the entire comment.
No, he didn't. He only apologized for the inadvertent sexual connotation in his remark. Not the parts where he said-specifically, and in as many words-that Sid (and others whom he didn't name) was narcissitic, stupid, and not worth knowing or paying attention to. In fact he reiterated that he did mean to call Sid and others (unnamed) those things.

And then when I was irritated about it and said so, it's a 'villify Squicky' session?

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

I think it very sweet of you to be upset on Sid's behalf.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

To wit:
quote:
As I said in ElJay's thread, on reflection, I don't think I should have written that. I'd delete it if that was something I do and if people hadn't picked up on it. As it is, it's not something I'll say again and I'd really hate for it to get in the way of Sid's cry for attention here.

and...

The defining part of it for me was the shallowness of thought fueled by the persons narcisism. As I said, obviously other people don't share this view.

That's not an apology. When did that level of acidid insult become tolerable on Hatrack? Is the limit now merely, "Don't call people sexually loose."?
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Oh, unfortunately it's not very sweet of me at all, Katie (and I expect you know me well enough to have realized it). I'm not very upset on Sid's behalf. In fact I do think you (Sid) have tended to talk way too much, and that opinion is exacerbated by the fact that I haven't much been interested in the topics you bring up.

But as Squick so eloquently pointed out in his post, I don't often agree with him. I think he's well-informed, but he kind of pisses me off sometimes. Responding to Sid's post-even if he was right about Sid's motivations-in the fashion that he did is an example. Hatrack's reaction to it baffles and frustrates me.

katharina
Member # 827

*stubbornly believes Rakeesh is sweet, despite protests*
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

Okay I meant the spelling mistakes post above as a joke, and I'll make an effort to proofread my posts if they're more then 50 words in length, and I did my cry for attention because I am/was very depressed over the events in the past couple of days especially by the actions of my parents and/or parental figures ie: my older sister who is now suggesting I shouldn't get the present I want just to instill some kind of moral lesson that I should pay for my own things. I know that I have to pay for my own things but I really don't expect to get a lecture about being selfish when it comes to my own darn birthday for crying out loud gah!

As for MrSquee I thought he was being funny most insults tend to fly over my head.

Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

and spa'sibo Katharina.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ElJay:

mimsies, there are downloadable spellcheckers that you can use in your browser, if you'd like to go that route.

Anyway, rivka links to them about once a month, or googling will find you one.

Pfft. Every other week, minimum! [Wink]

ieSpell is good, and I now alternate using that (for short posts) and the Google toolbar (for longer posts).

[ June 08, 2005, 01:58 AM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alluvion
Member # 7462

*loves hummus*

*thinks red peppers are colorful but hard to digest*

MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
Sid,
I wasn't trying to insult you. I was shooting for semi-indulgent advice/chiding with a humorous bent. I think you'd really benefit from a bit more patience and a bit less self-absorbtion and "Look at ME!!" behavior. Of course, people have been saying that about teenagers for as long as there have been teenagers. It's still good advice, but it's not like you can blame water for being wet.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

That is good advice.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.