FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » OSC Collection Blowout (updated with list) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: OSC Collection Blowout (updated with list)
IdemosthenesI
Member # 862

- posted      Profile for IdemosthenesI   Email IdemosthenesI         Edit/Delete Post 
Farmgirl's purchases are as follows, and I believe.

Enchantment (HC)
First Meetings (HC)
Hart's Hope (HC)
Lovelock (HC)
Maps in a Mirror (HC)
Stone Tables (HC)
Treasure Box (HC)

Is that correct?

Chris Bridges, I'm afraid Farmgirl beat you to Enchantment and ApostleRadio beat you to Stone Tables. You were the first to request Hardcover Rebekah: Women of Genesis, though, so if you still want that it's yours.

If not, I have both the Hardcover Women of Genesis books going to Megan.

Posts: 894 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parsimony
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for Parsimony           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Demosthenes!
Posts: 367 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
I do! I won't even grumble at Farmgirl. Much. [Smile]

How do we manage payment? What about postage?

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't want to be greedy. I may have had first call on those, but the ones most essential to me are Maps in the Mirror and Enchantment in hardcover.

Now that I've read the description I don't think I want Stone Tables at this time.

The others I can go either way on (purchase them or let them go) so if someone has more passion for a particular one of them, say so.

Yeah - do you have Paypal? Or you want us to snail mail you money?

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parsimony
Member # 8140

I was attempting to not be greedy, but as nobody else has posted anything recently, I'd like to add Eye for Eye to my list of things I want from you, if it is still available. [Smile]

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 367 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

- posted      Profile for GaalD   Email GaalD         Edit/Delete Post 
Before I make any requests I'm also curious about how payment is going to be. Also, can anyone name some of his better short story that are in the magazines? I'm eager to get one of the old magazines that published his earlier works.
Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IdemosthenesI
Member # 862

- posted      Profile for IdemosthenesI   Email IdemosthenesI         Edit/Delete Post 
Paypal is, of course, the preferred method of fiduciary transfer. I figure I'll just find out wat actual postage is going to be and do it that way. Sorry, I didn't really do much actual preparation for this, so if it seems a bit... unorganized, that's because it is.
Posts: 894 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IdemosthenesI
Member # 862

As far as recommendations, the real gems are, in my opinion, the Capitol stories. But of particular note is the aforementioned Happy Head. In the foreword to the Lost Songs section of Maps in a Mirror, OSC mentions that with the publication of Maps, all his short fiction would be anthologized, except for Happy Head, which he was too disgusted with to include. So it was with great mirth that I presented it to him for signing at the Writing Class. He responded by exclaiming, "Oh! An archaeologist." Adagio and Benediction is also not found anywhere else, as far as I know.

Other than those, the shorts in magazines are mainly good for collector value, as they are all available elsewhere for considerably less money per story. All the ones I have are also either in Worthing Saga, Capitol, or Maps.

The Changed Man and the King of Words might be a good one to grab, since it's printed so beautifuly. The title page illustration alone was breathtaking. Omni magazine did a really good job with that.

If anybody is looking for good reading copies of the major series, you could do worse than the book club collections. They are good ways to get the entire series in a compact set. You could get the entire Homecoming series, for example, in two volumes.

Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I have never read those, so I would be interested in them.....and since I want them to read, I would not mind that they are a book club edition. This book club does them unabridged, right? I won't EVER buy an abridged version of ANY story again, I got one as a gift from my grandma years ago and it was horrible how much they had cut out. . .

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IdemosthenesI
Member # 862

Yeah, the book clubs have the whole things. I don't think I put up a price for those before. I would say probably six dollars since they include multiple books.
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
'K -- Can I add Alvin Wandering to my shopping cart, please?
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IdemosthenesI
Member # 862

Sure. Consider it done.
Parsimony
Member # 8140

Whatever happened to all this?

--ApostleRadio

CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

- posted      Profile for CalvinMaker   Email CalvinMaker         Edit/Delete Post 
Yup. Nathan pretty much lighted a desire to follow in his footsteps. I got very obsessed with reading and collecting OSC's works during highschool.

College pretty much killed that (less money, less time, more life), though three bookshelves of mine are still stuffed to the brim with books and short stories and such.

And I *had* a copy of Ainge, signed even, but for the life of me I don't know where it is. *mutters*

Posts: 1934 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I figure I'll just find out what actual postage is going to be and do it that way.
IdemosthenesI - what is the status on this? I haven't heard a final figure from you, or received an e-mail reply or anything. I'm wanting that Maps hardback! Can you update me on status?

Thanks!

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
macnewbold
Member # 7660

- posted      Profile for macnewbold   Email macnewbold         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, just barely found this. Are any of the books still available?
Posts: 52 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IdemosthenesI
Member # 862

Yeah, I decided to just put these on ebay, because I sort of lost track trying to do everything through the forum. You can go see the listings if you still want to purchase any of these. I'll be adding a few more each month.

https://tinyurl.com/lglk3ff

What's that, you say? It's been twelve years, and nobody is left here who would remember this?

Well, perhaps someone here can find some use in these anyway.

PanaceaSanans
Member # 13395

- posted      Profile for PanaceaSanans   Email PanaceaSanans         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh. [Frown]

If it weren't so costly to ship them over the "pond", I would definitely be tempted. I hope they find a good new home with an open minded soul.

Posts: 366 | Registered: May 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IdemosthenesI
Member # 862

Thanks to the Hatrackers who bid on the first set of these. I just added a bunch more (the last of my collection) including some fairly esoteric and rare finds (like my collection of Analog magazines that feature OSC short stories).

Funny story about one of those. There is this one story, Happy Head, that OSC thought was so bad, it was the only story of his that he didn't have republished in his anthology, Maps in a Mirror (which I've also just listed).

I tracked down the magazine and had him autograph it.

I think he was not amused.

Anyway, it's one of the specimens now available. After this batch, Hatrack, you'll never hear of me hereafter.

https://tinyurl.com/lglk3ff

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.