FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » OSC Collection Blowout (updated with list) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: OSC Collection Blowout (updated with list)
IdemosthenesI
Member # 862

- posted      Profile for IdemosthenesI   Email IdemosthenesI         Edit/Delete Post 
Before I go to eBay, I figure I'll let Hatrack have a go. During my tender formative years, I was hugely obsessed with OSC, and collected every one of his published works that I could find. I found a lot. At this point, my collection fills an entire bookshelf and includes many autographed "To Nathan". Thing is, I'm not so obsessed anymore, and I would like to make some space in my room. I'm going to keep a few for memories and get rid of the rest. Any hatrackers have a similar collection they are looking to supplement? Tell me what you want and I'll see if I've got it. Unless you're looking for "Ainge," though, I probably do. That was the one I could never find.

UPDATE:

Yeah, I decided to just put these on ebay, because I sort of lost track trying to do everything through the forum. You can go see the listings if you still want to purchase any of these. I'll be adding a few more each month.

https://tinyurl.com/lglk3ff

What's that, you say? It's been twelve years, and nobody is left here who would remember this?

Well, perhaps someone here can find some use in these anyway.

UPDATE to the UPDATE

Thanks to the Hatrackers who bid on the first set of these. I just added a bunch more (the last of my collection) including some fairly esoteric and rare finds (like my collection of Analog magazines that feature OSC short stories).

Funny story about one of those. There is this one story, Happy Head, that OSC thought was so bad, it was the only story of his that he didn't have republished in his anthology, Maps in a Mirror (which I've also just listed).

I tracked down the magazine and had him autograph it.

I think he was not amused.

Anyway, it's one of the specimens now available. After this batch, Hatrack, you'll never hear of me hereafter.

[ April 05, 2017, 10:27 PM: Message edited by: IdemosthenesI ]

Posts: 894 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parsimony
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for Parsimony           Edit/Delete Post 
If you've got a copy of Treason...::waves::

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 367 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
If you have a paperback copy of Magic Street... [Wink]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, if you have hardbacks, we should get Farmgirl into this thread. She's the one collecting those.
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mimsies
Member # 7418

- posted      Profile for mimsies   Email mimsies         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be interested in Songmaster, and the homecoming series after book 1
Posts: 772 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
Which ones do you have that aren't autographed 'to Nathan'? I'd be interested in paperbacks of Alvin Maker #2,4,5, and 6. Also, Pastwatch.
Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be interested in Capitol, if you've got it.
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh, I was about to say Capitol. Hot Sleep, too, though.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ill malkier
Member # 8244

- posted      Profile for ill malkier   Email ill malkier         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm interested in any EG or Shadow books-- other than EG and ES -- I have both those.
Posts: 84 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have the issue of Analog with the original short story of Ender's Game?
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

- posted      Profile for GaalD   Email GaalD         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have two copies of the issue of analog with the original short story of Ender's Game? [Big Grin] Also, if you have Lost Boys for a good price I'd probably be willing to buy it
Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have Hart's Hope? I haven't found that one in the used bookstores yet.

*googles* Oh, wow. Hart's Hope and Wyrms have been reprinted. Cool.

Well, if no one else wants those two, I would be happy to take them off your hands [Big Grin] .

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Drat. The ones I'm missing have all been spoken for already.

Stupid having-to-be-at-work. [Grumble]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I loaned out all my ender novels.

I'll take speaker and children of the mind off your hands.

I think I have every other work of fiction, including the anthologies.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
The best finds I have ever found at my used bookstore have been the three Gormenghast novels in one volume, and A Planet Called Treason. As in, the novel that evolved into Treason. Although I do intend to purchase Treason someday.
Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
Treason would be nice, along with The Memory of Earth.for some reason I can't find that one ANYWHERE. I guess Ohio only lets you have books later in the series... I had a hard time finding the original Dune too. Stupid bookstores...
Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
You had a hard time finding Dune? Good lord.

I think I've got a hardback of The Memory of Earth that I'd be willing to give you Tinros. I'll have to check my shelf, but I'm 90% sure it's there. No dust cover, but if you're just wanting the story I don't expect that that'd be a big deal.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aragorn64
Member # 4204

- posted      Profile for aragorn64   Email aragorn64         Edit/Delete Post 
You have some signed "To Nathan"? Heh, that would be perfect, since that's my name as well...^_-
Posts: 290 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
larisse
Member # 2221

- posted      Profile for larisse   Email larisse         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have a list of books you have in your collection? I could have sworn you posted a list once.

Tinros... Do you mean like the first edition, first print of Dune? That would be exceptionally hard to find since the original publisher was a small company called Chilton. It had a very limited run. The next wide printing was the BCE, I think. It was also printed as a serial in Analog during the 60's. (I have those, btw.) If you mean just a plain old copy, try one of the on-line bookstores.

Hmmm.... I wonder what hardbacks I need. Anyone have a first edition, first print copy of Ender's Game by any chance. Anyone? Anyone? What? No one willing to part with their copy! I am shocked! It isn't like it's valuable or anything. [Wink]

Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
larisse
Member # 2221

Ooo.... I just thought of something. Do you happen to have the paperback copies of the books in Maps In A Mirror? Are they first editions, first prints? Are you willing to part with those? If you haven't guessed (or not), I collect first edition, first prints of certain authors.
Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Do you happen to have the paperback copies of the books in Maps In A Mirror?
Do you know that the hardcover is actually the first edition, first print, and that the paperbacks are split editions of the hardcover, published later, and they did not reprint Lost Songs?
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
larisse
Member # 2221

Yup. [Wink] Maps was the very first Card book I bought with my own money back when it first came out. I meant the first paper back editions. I can remember when they were on the bookstore shelves, and I could kick myself for not buying them back then. In fact, I think my main reason for not buying them was that I already had the hardback with Lost Songs. What did I need them for. Of course, at the time, I hadn't really started collecting. Oh well... hindsight is always 20/15 with corrective lenses.
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have a softcover copy of Prentice Alvin? That's the only Alvin story I'm missing.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have the “Cardcatalogue”
Also, I have a list of old magazines his original stories appeared in. You have any of those?

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh my! Just saw this thread..

Narnia is right -- I'm trying to acquire everything OSC in hardback form.

Nathan, e-mail me (address in profile) of any titles you have in hardback that you are willing to part with, and I will see which ones I don't have and maybe we can make a deal.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ramdac99
Member # 7264

- posted      Profile for Ramdac99   Email Ramdac99         Edit/Delete Post 
Hot Sleep, if you have Hot Sleep, hardcover or otherwise I would be very interested.
Posts: 484 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IdemosthenesI
Member # 862

- posted      Profile for IdemosthenesI   Email IdemosthenesI         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh wow. This might end up being a little bit of work, mightn't it [Big Grin] So, since a list has been requested, here it is. Autographed to Nathan are the titles I have starred.
Sold items are in bold. Items on which inquiries have been made but before there were prices are in italics.

Hardcover:
*Ender's Game
*Speaker for the Dead
*Xenocide
*Children of the Mind

Ender's Shadow
Shadow of the Hegemon
Shadow Puppets
*Shadow of the Giant

Seventh Son
Red Prophet
Prentice Alvin
*Alvin Journeyman
Heartfire
The Crystal City

The Memory of Earth
The Call of Earth
The Ships of Earth
Earthfall
Earthborn

*Sarah: Women of Genesis
Rebekah: Women of Genesis
Stone Tables

*Cardography (autographed, not personalized. Copy #569)
*Enchantment
*First Meetings (autographed, not personalized. From EnderCon)
Folk of the Fringe
Future on Ice
*Hart's Hope
*Lost Boys
Lovelock
Magic Mirror
*Maps in a Mirror
Masterpieces
Pastwatch: The Redemption of Christopher Columbus
A Planet Called Treason
Robota
Songmaster
*Stone Tables
*Unaccompanied Sonata and Other Stories
*Treasure Box

Hardcover Book Club Combinations
Ender's War (contains EG and SFTD)
Hatrack River (contains 7th son, Red Prophet, Prentice Alvin)
Alvin Wandering (contains Alvin Journeyman, Heartfire)
Homecoming Harmony (contains first 3 Homecoming books)
Homecoming Earth (Earthfall, Earthborn)

Paperback
Ender's Game
Speaker for the Dead
*Xenocide
Beyond Ender's Game (sealed box set of Speaker Trilogy)

Ender's Shadow
Shadow of the Hegemon

*Seventh Son
*Red Prophet
*Prentice Alvin
Alvin Journeyman
*Heartfire

The Changed Man
Monkey Sonatas
Flux
Cruel Miracles

Memory of Earth

Sarah: Women of Genesis

The Abyss
*Capitol
Dragons of Darkness
Dragons of Light
*Enchantment
Eye for Eye (with Tunesmith by Lloyd Biggle Jr.)
*Folk of the Fringe
Future on Fire
Homebody
Hot Sleep: The Worthing Chronicle
*Lost Boys
*Pastwatch: Redemption of Christopher Columbus (2 copies, 1 autographed)
Saints
*Songmaster
Stone Tables
*Treason
*The Worthing Saga
*Wyrms

Short Story First Appearances
*Ender's Game (Analog Aug 1977)
Malpractice (Analog November 1977)
Songhouse (Analog cover story September 1979)
The Monkey's Thought Twas All in Fun (Analog Cover Story May 1979)
Breaking the Game (Analog January 1979)
Killing Children (Analog November 1978)
Lifeloop (Analog October 1978)
I Put My Blue Genes On (Analog August 1978)
Mikal's Songbird (Analog May 1978)
Happy Head (Analog April 1978)
Follower (Analog February 1978)
The Changed Man and the King of Words (Omni December 1982)
Unaccompanied Sonata (Omni March 1979)
St. Amy's Tale (Omni December 1980)
Heal Thyself (Amazing Stories Summer 1999)
Grinning Man (Legends Paperback)
Investment Counselor (Far Horizons Paperback)
Adagio and Benediction (Chyrsalis 5)
Hart's Hope (novella version Chrysalis 8)

[ July 08, 2005, 01:47 PM: Message edited by: IdemosthenesI ]

Posts: 894 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IdemosthenesI
Member # 862

Wow, I was really a big geek, wasn't I.

Looking over this collection, a couple of things strike me. First of all, I had a lot of time on my hands. Second of all, Orson Scott Card really was a huge influence in my life when I was in high school. I want to thanky you if you're reading this. Your stories changed me. And if I didn't exactly keep to the whole "everything in moderation" adage, well, that's no fault of yours. Finally, I realize that I put a great deal of time, effort, and money into assembling all of this. So I doubt I'll be giving these away. I'm thinking I'm gonna go ahead and ask for some money. Thing is, I have absolutely no idea what would be a fair asking price for this stuff. Obviously I'm not going to charge the same for an unsigned copy of The Call of Earth as I will for a limited edition, almost impossible to find Cardography. So, I guess I'll just throw this out there and see what you guys think is fair.

Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
I had no idea you had so many. You ever compare with Noah?

I would have some interest in: Cardography, Robota, Dragons of Darkness/Light, Capitol and Hot Sleep (already mentioned above), And magazines with Happy Head and Adagio and Benediction.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Nathan - I'm going to e-mail you. There are several there I would like to buy - depending on your asking price.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IdemosthenesI
Member # 862

Hehe. In fact, I have not compared with Noah, though we are aware of each other. I beleve he is the only one out there with a bigger collection than mine (with the possible exceptions of OSC himself and Micheal Collings.) In fact, we met at the first Uncle Orson Writing Seminar in Greensboro, which I flew up from Texas to attend. As I remember, he had only read EG at the time, and I told him he should read Songmaster next. The rest, of course, is history.

Yes, everyone feel free to e-mail me. idemosthenesi AT gmail DOT com

I should warn you that, while most of my books are in very good condition, a few were purchased used and ave seen better days. I will certainly let you know the condition of any books you wish to purchase, however. For example, Papa Moose, the Hot Sleep I have isn't the greatest copy. It's a well-read paperback, albeit with both covers intact. The binding is quite cracked however. If you haven't read it, I still recommend it since I actually prefer it to the later reworking, The Worthing Chronicle, which was included in Saga.

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
You are giving good books away? I don't understand. I know all those words, but it just doesn't make sense to me.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parsimony
Member # 8140

I sent an email as well. That seemed easiest.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 367 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

kat -- I assumed since he implied he was going to go to Ebay, that he is intending to sell them, not give them away.
IdemosthenesI
Member # 862

Oh, Farmgirl, in your e-mail you asked what the following were. I suppose others will probably have the same question. Some items on my list aren't exactly well known.

Stone Tables: Novelized story of the Exodus that came from a musical OSC wrote for BYU while on his mission in Brazil. I also have the compact disc soundtrack from the musical which I might throw in with the hardcover, or send separately if there's any interest.

Robota: Large glossy hardcover of a story OSC wrote to accompany the design work of Doug Chiang. Beautifully illustrated, this was only about a year or two ago.

Magic Mirror: The only picture book I know of written by OSC. Includes illustrations by Nathan Pinnock.

Cardography: One of the gems of my collection. This was a limited run of only 850 copies, 750 numbered and sold. It includes the absolute best of OSC's fantasy stories, including my favorite, "Sandmagic," the vastly underappreciated "The Princess and the Bear," and the delightful "Bully and the Beast." It also includes a foreword and afterword not found anywhere else and several OSC maps. This usually sells for about 60 dollars on eBay when it can even be found.

Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Drat, I'm at work, I don't know offhand which copies I still want in hardback. I would be interested in the Enchantment hardcover, depending on your prices.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
larisse
Member # 2221

Darn it. Papa already asked for Robota and Cardography. Oh well, doesn't hurt to ask about price. I sent you an email.
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Farmgirl - that's just a quibble - it doesn't make a difference to the actual content of my post. He has good books, and he is getting rid of them.

That's weird. Put them in a box in the back of your closet if you need roon, ID! You will want them later! Seriously - why are you getting rid of these? Even if you don't need them prominently displayed anymore, it's part of your self history, and a part that you'll want in ten years, easily.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

Robota, since it's new, and Cardography, since it's rare, may not be in my price range anyway, larisse. I'm only a lowly janitor, after all. *smile* It's fine to let him know of your interest. My biggest interests are Hot Sleep and the Dragons of Light/Darkness.
IdemosthenesI
Member # 862

OK, I'm just gonna throw out some prices, and you can let me know if you think they're fair. I'm open to negotiation.

Collectors' Items
Cardography - 50$ or best offer (I originally bought for 75, so I'm not gouging here.)
Capitol - 15.00 or best offer
Original Short Story appearances- 7.50 ea. or best offer
Eye for Eye/Tunesmith - 7.50 or best offer
Signed Hardcovers - 10.00 or best offer
Robota - 15.00 or best offer (I know it's not technically collector's yet, but oh well.)

[b]Reading Items[b]
Unsigned Hardcovers - 5.00
Signed Paperbacks - 4.00 to 7.00 depending on condition
Unsigned paperbacks - 1.00 - 2.50 depending on condition

Those of you who've e-mailed me, thanks.

Papa Moose
Member # 1992

'K -- I would/will pay those prices for the three I listed above (Hot Sleep and the Dragons). And you should charge more for Robota, but if you aren't going to, then I'll definitely take it at that price.

--Pop

Papa Moose
Member # 1992

(I was writing my post before you edited in the Robota price, but I think my comment stands.)
Parsimony
Member # 8140

I sent you an email containing my offers for the books I want. Hope to hear back soon. Thanks.

--ApostleRadio

IdemosthenesI
Member # 862

Sold, to the gentleman with the large antlers.
IdemosthenesI
Member # 862

I'm going to edit the original list. Items that have been sold will be in bold. Items on which inquiries have been made will be in italics. But before I finish that, I'm going to go get some food. I'll be back in half an hour. I'm freakin' hungry, people!

Katharina, I wrote a post in response to your concerns, which a power failure ate. I'll address them when I get back.

IdemosthenesI
Member # 862

Katharina -

OK, as for why I'm doing this. I know these are part of my self-story. In fact, for many years they were a huge part of my self-story. I had what might even be termed an unhealthy obsession with OSC. I honestly thought he was the greatest writer ever to walk the face of the earth. Now I still have a great deal of respect for the man, but I am no longer allowing my obsession with hime to run my life. Some of these things are going to be hard to let go. The Omni magazine with Unaccompanied Sonata, which is one of my favorite shorts. My hardcover Hart's Hope which took me forever to find. Maps in a Mirror, which I paid 50 bucks for and I pored over like a scholar pores over an ancient text. And it's not like I'm getting rid of everything. I'm keeping my 1977 August Analog with the original and signed EG short. I'm keeping the preview copy of SotH we had e-mailed to us for creating P-Web and that bears OSC's signature with the inscription "This is the first copy of this I ever signed." I'm keeping the ones that have sentimental value. But the rest of it, hard though it's going to be, I feel like I need to let go of.

So here's how this is gonna work. I had some inquiries befor I put the prices up. Farmgirl, ApostleRadio, if you could let me know if the above prices are acceptable to you, I'd appreciate it. After I hear from you, I'll just go with the first comer for the rest of it with the possible exception of Cardography, which I already have two offers on, top being 60 right now.

Parsimony
Member # 8140

I sent you my offer demosthenes, did you receive it? I will try again if not.

--ApostleRadio

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay...so the August 77 Analog is already sold?

Darn.

I had NO IDEA OSC had published so many short stories in the various pulp magazines. Wow!

What is this Cardography of which you all speak?

by the way...impressive collection.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IdemosthenesI
Member # 862

Oops. Looks like you already did, ApostleRadio. OK, that's all good. I have you down for

Planet Called Treason
Unaccompanied Sonata
Omni with Unaccompanied Short
Paperback Stone Tables

and you are currently my best offer on Cardography as well, but I'm gonna wait until midnight tomorrow to close that one, since it's my most rare item. Current best offer on Cardography= $60.

Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
I sent an email, as well (for the Women of Genesis hardcovers).
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.