FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Harry Potter Predictions! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Harry Potter Predictions!
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

- posted      Profile for unicornwhisperer   Email unicornwhisperer         Edit/Delete Post 
Continuation..

12. Harry finds that his parent's are burried in the cemetary near Hogwarts.... (or was there anything to burry...)

13. Some Muggles actually help fight Voldemort... his death eaters anyway...

14. Ron obtains a license to Apparate..

By the way I love the entries with Harry Potter turning into Star Wars!! [ROFL]

Posts: 1417 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
What if JKR decided to kill off Dumbledore as a result of Richard Harris' passing?
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Why do they even interview her?
All she does is say, "Sorry, can't tell."
But, according to these interviews, this is her world, so she'll do what she wants and not cater to the masses.
Good for her!
So I doubt that would be her reason for killing Dumbledore.
I want to know about that London underground scar.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, looks like some people couldn't wait.. (No spoilers on that link, btw. Just a news article.)

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
My money's on Dumbledore. Gandalf died. Obi Wan died. The father/grandfather/tutor figure always dies. It's part of the bildungsroman, I think. In order for the young protagonist to fully mature, he must first suffer patriarchal tragedy, thus severing him from his sheltered past. Without daddy around, you have to be a man.

Though Harry's life has been anything but sheltered.

Also, I can't imagine Malfoy sticking around after what happened to his dad. I'm thinking either he vanishes or drops out or maybe goes to Durmstrang or something.

Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

Further deliberations:

I don't think the Half Blood Prince is any of the minor characters like Seamus or Dean Thomas or any of those. JKR said something about how it had a whole lot to do with the Chamber of Secrets, and none of those characters had huge parts in the story.

However, a lot of the focus of CoS was on the founding members of Hogwarts. My money is saying that the HBP is either Salazar Slytherin (a la the weird self loathing Voldemort/Hitler think JKR has going on) or Godric Gryffindor. Slytherin seems like a more likely choice.

Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

- posted      Profile for unicornwhisperer   Email unicornwhisperer         Edit/Delete Post 
That's cool, Book! I never thought it could be one of the founding members of Hogwarts! I second that!
Posts: 1417 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
She said that it was originally part of CoS (and also tried in a couple of the other books) but that because it didn't work, every scrap of that plot was removed. I don't think it will really have that much to do with anything that happened in CoS (directly).

And thanks, Brettly! Can't believe I hadn't been there before.

Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

I think she meant that every scrap of that plot was removed from CoS, not the latest novel. I think she said it complicated the story too much, and took it out entirely and put it in the newest book.

However, this could mean that I'm completely wrong and in CoS there WAS a huge plot with Dean or Seamas about being Half Blood Princes or whatever.

But if it was a subplot, it seems unlikely.

It's still just a guess, though.

EDIT: Also, a lot of what I'm betting this on is how there's still a lot left unexplained about the founders. There's a lot of room to work with there. While Slytherin seems to be the most likely candidate of the two founders, we know nothing about Godric Gryffindor except A. he favored courage and heart over blood, and wanted to accept any student willing to learn, and B. he was a very convenient Deus Ex Machina.

Course, it's not like we know a lot about Slytherin, either. He's just Voldemort but a lot less alive, it seemed (that and he might or might not've been a pureblood - which would work with the Half Blood Prince thingy).

MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Book:
I think she meant that every scrap of that plot was removed from CoS, not the latest novel.

Um... that's what I was trying to say. [Blushing] Guess I wasn't clear enough.

Edit: And to clarify, it's because that whole plot was removed from CoS that I don't think they'll be related. The HBP plot didn't fit with the CoS plot.

Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CRash
Member # 7754

- posted      Profile for CRash   Email CRash         Edit/Delete Post 
On the Half-Blood Prince: Isn't he supposed to be a new character?
Posts: 973 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SC Carver
Member # 8173

- posted      Profile for SC Carver   Email SC Carver         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree HBP has something to do with founding fathers. G. Griffindor seems like a likely candidate. I am pretty sure S. Slytherin was a pure blood.

Dumbeldore dies in book 7 saving Harry's life. giving Harry the rage he needs to fulfill the prophecy and kill Voldermort.

Ron and Hermione end up together, have lots of kids with bright red afros.

Harry becomes an Aurour chasing down the last of the death eaters. Then comes back to be the DADA teacher.

Posts: 555 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
It would have fit into Chamber of Secrets that hagrid was the half blood prince, at some point when discussing his dad dying, being kicked out of hogwarts, and the like.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
Madam Scoops has some clues.
Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
My column tomorrow is on my predictions for the book. Just a heads-up.

You can see how close I came for the last book here.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Keep in mind that the HBP plot has to be something that doesn't relate specifically to the present time (I'm not saying this right, what I mean is, it's a plot that would work either in CoS or HBP, so it can't be something that's important as an event. It has to be something that's important as a fact) So I think it's most likely it's one of the founders or Hagrid. I think if it were any of the students the difference in how they react and their living situation would have changed so drastically between the second and the sixth books as to make it impossible for the plot to remain the same.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

Book 6 chapter 6: DRACO'S DETOUR

That's it. Draco goes to Durmstrang.

EDIT: Also, I think that just because he's a "prince" a lot of people assume he's young. All signs point to Hagrid or one of the Founders (some of the scoops make me lean more towards Gryffindor, now).

Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure that when we all get the book, we'll smack our foreheads and say "HOW did I miss that? The clues were ALL there!"

Or at least I will. I'm trying not to make any terribly serious predictions - or get worked up over any I see - because odds are they'll be wrong; hence my harping on Trevor the toad.

That said, I'd cheer out loud if Ginny went away.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

Awww! Ginny?! Why?! She's got the yard of guts that all the Weasleys have with a better head on her shoulders than any of them. She's like Hermione but she takes less crap.
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

To me, guessing on this kind of thing is win-win. If I'm right, I'm happy because I get to feel clever. If I'm wrong, I'm happy because the book surprised me.

I suppose I'd be a bit dissappointed if the HBP is a completely new character, because there seem to be so many hints for various existing characters.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

But Ginny's awesome!
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Ginny's pretty cool too...I just wish we'd known how cool she was before book V.

I love Ron's protective brother stance of I-hate-everyone-my-sister's-dating. [Smile]

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by sarcasticmuppet:
I think Ginny's pretty cool too...I just wish we'd known how cool she was before book V.

And that's exactly why I don't like her. It was an all-of-the-sudden "Hey, look, Ginny's randomly and secretly cooler than all of her brothers with whom she was ever at Hogwarts! She's got a special family place and EVERYTHING! You should think she RAWKS! <insert Jedi mind trick here>"

If JKR is going to develop another Weasley, it should be Bill. Bill's hot. [Smile]

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I like Ginny.
And Luna.
She can't develope Bill because he's out of school and dating Fluer all day long.
But, Lune is a good uh... parellel to Hermione with her whole, "Ignore them" attitude mixed with mysticism.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
Eep! Threeish days!
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
"Book 6 chapter 6: DRACO'S DETOUR

That's it. Draco goes to Durmstrang."

Or on his way back to the Slytherin common room he runs into the wonderful Harry Potter and drags him into a disused closet for some much needed snoggage.

Atleast, that's what my silly shipper mind is hoping for.

Or maybe its his changing sides but that's equally unlike since Rowling seems to quite loathe the little ferret.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Astaril
Member # 7440

- posted      Profile for Astaril   Email Astaril         Edit/Delete Post 
See, I think Snape's going to die saving Harry at some point. Maybe this book, maybe the next. And yes, whether or not Dumbledore actually dies, he'll definitely sacrifice *something* for Harry which makes him (Dumbledore) powerless or dead or...something bad. Also, Ron and Hermione will get together, though I don't know if it'll last. Ron might die for Harry too, though I wouldn't expect that until Book 7. Personally, I think Harry should die in Book 7, which would save JKR from some of the gazillion trillion letters she'll get begging her to please write another book after book 7.
Posts: 624 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

I can think of a way out of that easily. Observe.

quote:
"Well, Harry," Ron said, "After a long and bitter struggle, lots of character development, and a circuotous plot with miles of backstory, Voldemort is defeated."

"Yes," said Hermione, giving him a thumbs up. "Good job."

"Thank you," Harry said to the large and convenient gathering of every suriving friendly character. "Thank you all. It certainly did turn out that every previous minor detail in my life had cosmic importance in the end, didn't it?"

"Sure did," said Hagrid.

"Yes," Harry said, "Yes it did. And now, according to wizard tradition, I will be fired out of a cannon into space, never to return. Perhaps I will fall to earth and marry every single girl who is inexplicably devoted to me. But more than likely I will drift into the sun. Or something."

"Okay," said Ron.

Harry donned a purple helmet with stars and climbed into the cannon, giving the entire cast a last wave before sliding down the barrel. Dobby walked up and pulled the comically oversized ripcord, and with a deafening boom, Harry sailed into the stratosphere.

Then they all went and watched the latest movie installment of the franchise.

The end.

JKR can deliver that solid gold dumptruck full of money (or possibly just filled with smaller solid gold dumptrucks, I'm not picky) to my house any time she feels like it.
SC Carver
Member # 8173

- posted      Profile for SC Carver   Email SC Carver         Edit/Delete Post 
Pope Opposes Harry Potter Novels - Signed Letters from Cardinal Ratzinger Now Online

http://www.lifesite.net/ldn/2005/jul/05071301.html

Posts: 555 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

Hmmm.... Not sure if I care for that. But it's been a while since me and the Pope agreed on much.

Also, this is probably more along the lines of wishful thinking than prediction, but in book 6, Umbridge is disembowled, hung, quartered, and burned in a large jovial celebration with lots of fireworks and confetti.

Sorry, but I'm rereading OotP now, and I absolutely cannot stand the idea of the woman.

MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

quote:
Originally posted by Astaril:
Personally, I think Harry should die in Book 7, which would save JKR from some of the gazillion trillion letters she'll get begging her to please write another book after book 7.

And instead she would get a gazillion trillion letters asking her why she had to kill him off. There's no avoiding all of the mail, so she'll just end up doing whatever she wanted to do in the first place.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I have significant issues with the morality presented in the book: modifying muggles' memories as an almost everyday thing, sending Hagrid to Azkaban w/ no evidence, allowing a teacher to manipulate the system of justice as Snape does, enslavement, etc. Some of these Rowling condemns through her characters, some of them are approved by those characters.

I think it's important for a spiritual leader to point such things out, although the existence of such moral inconsistencies does not make a work inappropriate for children. Rather, it raises points for discussion.

That's why the more hysterical anti-Potter people are actually harmful - they make it harder to actually have a moral discussion about the books.

I haven't read the criticism Cardinal Ratzinger agreed with, so I don't know which category it falls into.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
As far as predictions, I don't have all that many, but I think that if any of the current students winds up teaching at Hogwart's it won't be Harry, Ron, or even Hermione - it will be Neville. Come on, you guys - he'd be a perfect Professor of Herbology.

Harry will be an Auror, if we learn he becomes anything, because McGonagall swore she'd make sure he became an Auror if it was the last thing she did and I would never bet against McGonagall.

Ron will be Head Boy and captain of the Quidditch team just like he saw in the Mirror of Erised, and maybe he'll even go on to play Quidditch professionally as a keeper.

Hermione is where I'm drawing a blank. I have no idea what she'll do after Hogwart's.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
*gasp*

If Neville's going to be the new Herbology teacher, that means Professor Sprout's gonna have to kick the bucket. Maybe SHE's the half-blood prince?

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

I don't think any students are going to become professors in book 6, seeing how when it's over they'll still have a full year of school left. Hogwart's is basically highschool, too. Has there been any mention of if there's wizarding college afterwards? Grad School? What kind of degree would you need to become a professor? I suppose Hagrid made it and he didn't even finish Hogwarts.

Maybe their educational system needs more regulation. No Magical Child Left Behind!

--Enigmatic

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

J.K. Rowling equals cool because she understands this important thing-About subtlety and good and evil.
I love that.

The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

- posted      Profile for The Silverblue Sun   Email The Silverblue Sun         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
No Magical Child Left Behind!

[Hat] Yeah! Great Platform! [Hat]

We are almost there.

about 48 hrs. away!

Yeah!

Once again, I work at a large chain bookstore, we will be having a midnight party, and it looks like I will be going as Sirius Black as I work the 6pm to 3am HP shift.

Gonna die my sandy blonde hair black, wear black boots, black jeans, black shirt and an awesome really ripped leather jacket.

I'm on page 550 of finishing book 5 (my second time around) and am very excited about book 6 and very proud and happy with J.K. Rowling, in an age where authors have such a hard time reaching in and showing us the magic of reading, she has done a good job, and cannot wait to fork over a $20.00 dollar bill to buy a copy at 3 A.M. in the morning, go home, read as much as I can til I fall asleep and then return to the bookstore to work the saturday 2 to 11 close shift.

I'm very excited.

I love good books, good movies and good music!

LONG LIVE GOOD ART!

<T>

Posts: 2752 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
4 Dudley Dursley is really the Half Blood Prince, and will come into a great magical inheritance upon his 18th birthday.

I swear I hadn't read this when I posted in The Official Spoilerific Harry Potter VI Discussion Thread

Honest! [Eek!]

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Tell me about it, Thor...
I hope I have a good chance of getting it on insta-grat.
I just cannot wait 2 more ruddy days. I just cannot...
Supermarket at Midnight Friday night here I come!

Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
Lupin is the half blood prince and gets killed by Wormtail's hand.
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

*bump*
Now everyone can see if their predictions were correct... asuming you have read Harry Potter 6.

dh
Member # 6929

- posted      Profile for dh   Email dh         Edit/Delete Post 
My prediction for book 7 : Malfoy crosses over at the last minute and helps Harry defeat Lord Voldemort.
Posts: 609 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

quote:
Originally posted by dh:
My prediction for book 7 : Malfoy crosses over at the last minute and helps Harry defeat Lord Voldemort.

And then they'll kiss, totally squicking everybody out except for some of the fanfic writers, who will lord it over the other fans.

--Enigmatic

dh
Member # 6929

And then they'll move to Canada and get same-sex married? Ugh.
Posts: 609 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
?

did you miss the funny?

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dh
Member # 6929

No. Did you?
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.