FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Raia in distress -- Opinions/advice/helpful comments welcome! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Raia in distress -- Opinions/advice/helpful comments welcome!
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
So why say "I'll be the hottest lady on my side of the mechitza" and not just "I'll be the hottest lady"? It just freaked me out.
Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Beren, what happened to your other hand?
You know what your mother said about not running around the house with scissors? That was no idle threat.

BTW, Raia, I'm relieved this is a light-hearted thread and the topic is not as serious as the thread title indicates. [Smile]

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to freak you out, Jon. I have no idea what's on the other side of the mechitza. I've never seen it. I've asked my son and husband, but they're not telling. Prolly just a bunch of guys and some naked lady dancers entertaining them. How's about YOU divulge that little secret.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
In our synagogue all of the property is shared (Schtendel, Bimma, Aron HaKKodesh).
Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

- posted      Profile for GaalD   Email GaalD         Edit/Delete Post 
Tante, that was a really funny post. I'm suprised that a observant woman like you can joke about those things. I wish we had women like you at my shul [Smile]
Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Chalk up another definate NO!

JenniK has really long hair, snd I love it....and more importantly she does too.

You will be beautiful either way, but I can't help it, I am a sucker for long hair. [Big Grin]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kwea:
Chalk up another definate NO!

JenniK has really long hair, snd I love it....and more importantly she does too.

You will be beautiful either way, but I can't help it, I am a sucker for long hair. [Big Grin]

Yeah. That's my reasoning as well. [Smile]
Of course, it takes a certain special kind of person to pull off long hair. I've seen girls with really long hair that looked so completely vain that it caused a spike on my cringe meter. Raia, however, is definately one of the girls who pulls it off perfectly.

Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

Raia, listen to people who signed up on the 13th of October 2004.
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, also: you need to read the book Curly Girl. It will change your life. Your hair will become your new best friend and lover because of how confident you make it feel.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Customers who bought this book also bought

* Curl Talk: Everything You Need to Know to Love and Care for Your Curly, Kinky, Wavy, or Frizzy Hair by Ouidad
* Hair Rules! : The Ultimate Hair-Care Guide for Women with Kinky, Curly, or Wavy Hair by Anthony Dickey
* Your Makeover : Simple Ways for Any Woman to Look Her Best by Morgen Schick DeMann
* Beautiful Brows: The Ultimate Guide to Styling, Shaping, and Maintaining Your Eyebrows by Nancy Parker
* No Lye : The African American Woman's Guide To Natural Hair Care by Tulani Kinard
* Let's Talk Hair: Every Black Woman's Personal Consultation for Healthy Growing Hair by Pamela Ferrell

What an Algonquin Round Table that must be. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hmm216
Member # 8403

- posted      Profile for Hmm216   Email Hmm216         Edit/Delete Post 
Raia,

As everyone else has said...you have B-E-A-UTIFUL hair. I also have curly hair that tends to make me look like a lion at times, but with the proper care you can take care of that. Usually the longer your hair is the more it is weighted down. If you cut it your curls will perk up, I actually just cut my hair and I love it.

Tameing the mane (as me and my roommates call it)

1)wearing it curly...Towel dry, add some friz control product (whatever brand you choose), A little hair gel, maybe some hair spray (I dont usually use the hair spray, but sometimes it helps) and a blowdryer with a difuser should do the trick. (You can do some trial and error to find the best way that works for you)

2)Going straight...Towel dry, add some frizz control, blow dry, and use the master of all hair irons THE CHI (it is truely a gift sent from god).

I know this sounds like a lot of work but it is a sacrafice we must pay. Plus once you get the hang of it, it is no prob!

Posts: 218 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow... lots of information all at once!

Annie, someone recommended that book to me a few hours ago, actually... maybe I'll take a look at that before I make any decisions. But hmm... I don't know. I asked some people today, and all I got was "ARE YOU KIDDING?! NOOOO!" so I don't know WHAT to do!

Beren, I'm sorry! Should I change the thread title? Just for me, this is a distressing issue! [Angst]

Tante, you made me laugh, several times! If I do chop it off, I'll consider making you a sheitl. [Wink]

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

I'll have more hair than all these guys put together --> [Party]
Raia
Member # 4700

Yes, it's quite a mane!
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
Nah, no need to change the title. I'm just glad you're ok. [Smile]
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

[Kiss]
Starr R
Member # 8361

- posted      Profile for Starr R   Email Starr R         Edit/Delete Post 
The Chi? Where did you buy that? Sounds like just the thing my kid has been asking for.
Posts: 68 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starr R
Member # 8361

- posted      Profile for Starr R   Email Starr R         Edit/Delete Post 
Oops, never mind. I just found one online. *blush*
Posts: 68 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Now I'm starting to get curious about what Raia's hair would look like cut short. This is making me waver a tiny bit in my previous no cutting opinion.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
firebird
Member # 1971

- posted      Profile for firebird   Email firebird         Edit/Delete Post 
Raia, as someone with curley hair there is one thing you should bear in mind.

Firstly ... Curley hair is at it's most beautiful when it is loose and the curls can be seen.

So, either you have to go short enough that you can't put your hair up at all or stay long enough that when you put there is still enough that can hang down to show off the curls. In practice, this means either chin to middle on neck length (when dry) or below the shoulder blades (when dry).

Just to echo the other advise on looking after Curley hair. Good haircut is the most important. Then only comb it when wet, I use all the Frizz Ease products which are excellent and then I find letting it dry naturally is the best.

Good luck.

Posts: 571 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Two cents from another curly-haired chick: Cut or don't cut, your choice, but a few words of warning:

• 1. Don't go too short, because, if your hair is thick, it's just utterly unmanageable. I agree with the people who say slightly longer than shoulder length, although I would go with a minimum of 2-3 inches beyond shoulder length.
  • 2. If you do get it cut:
    • a. Learn to LOVE hair products. Lots of them. Because the instant you find a combination that you like, one of those items will suddenly be discontinued. I can recommend some things to start with, if you like.
    • b. DO NOT, under ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, allow yourself to be talked into getting your hair layerd. It is AWFUL. Thick, curly hair should never, never, never, never, never, never be layered. Seriously. It can only end in tears (and I'm not talking metaphorically there). Don't make me produce my middle school pictures. (As if I would! [Big Grin] )

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
I think you would look really smashing with a cut, Raia, but I definitely don't think you should cut because someone else wants you to (or keep it long because someone else wants you to, either).

I'm getting the vibe that you don't really want to cut it, but you might have been looking for some support for not cutting. If that is so, then yes, you have lovely hair, and it looks good on you as it is. [Smile]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
doesn't matter to me your cute either way [Big Grin] . *sigh* too bad I live in Canada [Grumble]
Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Why is it that Tante gets dibs on Raia-hair-for-sheitlach? Stupid Pacific time. [Razz]

Raia, I had hair almost as long as yours is, and with similar thickness and body, when I was just about your age. I wanted the split ends trimmed off, and got a friend (who was very good with hair) to do it. She talked me into taking 2-3 inches off.

She cut off EIGHT INCHES. The fact that she is still alive has more to do with my shock at the time than anything else. [Wink]

However. It looked really good that length (about shoulder length when dry). And I have never grown it longer than shoulder-length since. It's just so easy to care for.

I think long hair is beautiful, but shoulder-length still qualifies. And the longer it is, the harder it is to take care of.

But don't cut it unless/until you are ready! There is nothing quite so annoying as people complimenting you on your new haircut, when every time they do you want to cry. Or scream.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kettricken
Member # 8436

- posted      Profile for Kettricken   Email Kettricken         Edit/Delete Post 
Raia,
Your hair is lovely and I definitely think you should keep it long. The only question is how long. If it is so difficult to manage that you keep it tied back most of the time I’d definitely say get some cut off. I think that you only get the best from long hair if it can be worn down. If you are able to wear it down most of the time anyway and you like it, then just get a trim.

Posts: 169 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
Why is it that Tante gets dibs on Raia-hair-for-sheitlach? Stupid Pacific time.

I get dibs 'cause I called it first. And if you don't like stupid Pacific Time, move away from the Pacific and back to the Atlantic, where your roots are. [Taunt]

(and if you do move back here, let's do have lunch. I'll treat you to falafel at Jerusalem Pizza)

rivka
Member # 4859

Pfft. My roots are out here (where both of my mother's parents grew up), or in Illinois (where my mom grew up), as much as out there. And I hate the cold weather.

Might be visiting next month for a week, though. I'll let you know. [Smile]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

quote:
And if you don't like stupid Pacific Time, move away from the Pacific and back to the Atlantic, where your roots are.
Now, THAT'S some long hair.
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

[Laugh] Megan.

HA!

rivka
Member # 4859

[Big Grin] 2 points! *applauds*
Megan
Member # 5290

[Hat]

Thank yew, thank yew very much. [Big Grin]

Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
Raia, I was in a similar position about two years ago - my hair was almost down to my waist, and I'd never gotten a really drastic cut or had it shorter than a few inches past my shoulders. Mine's not curly, but it's very thick and has the potential to be kinda wavy (read: usually poofy/frizzy).

I finally decided to cut mine after several months of pondering and panicking and nagging my friends for advice (they were split between "NO!" and "Go for it!" (and my dad was against it too)). I'd just really wanted a change, plus I wanted to know what I'd look like with shorter hair. So I had about 12 inches chopped off (and donated), up to about an inch or so above my shoulders. Here's the before picture, taken literally right before I got it cut. I don't have any immediate after pictures (I dislike pictures of me in general), but this one is from a few months after the cut, in its non-blow-dried and product-free state. (And also in Paris! [Big Grin] )

Cutting it was vastly traumatizing, but I'm really glad that I did, because if I hadn't, I'd still be driving myself crazy about it right now. Plus it's a lot less hassle to dry and such, and if I want to change it, I can do so without worrying about "ruining" years' work of growing it out. [Smile]

For you - I say go for it! Your really long hair, beautiful though it is, steals attention from your gorgeous face. And I totally agree with Beren - your prom pics are great!

Plus when it's shorter, it'll be a lot easier to keep the poof factor under control. Do you usually blow dry it, or just air dry? I have friends with curly curly hair that always looks awesome, and their tricks are to use a wide tooth comb when it's wet (only then), and then to blow dry it with a diffuser on low heat. There are products involved somewhere too, but I'm not sure about the details there. I'd definitely check out the Frizz-Ease serum, as well as their shampoo and conditioner.

Be brave, Raia!! Make the appointment! If you're still really scared when the day comes, then just cut off the minimum needed for donation - you can always cut more off later. Or grow it back out. [Smile]

Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
If it were me, I would cut it back in large part because I know longer hair is harder to control and keep neat. My own hair is very straight and thin, and I've discovered that if I keep it around shoulder length, it's the best I can get. Shorter than that and it just flies away; longer and it hangs limp and completely impossible to style. That's when it lives in claw clips and scrunchies.

With how much hair you have, Locks of Love would absolutely LOVE you!! And some salons will cut your hair for free in exchange for your LoL donation. Check their site (www.locksoflove.org) for more information.

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

- posted      Profile for Choobak   Email Choobak         Edit/Delete Post 
My dear dear Raia,

Whatever you look like, you stay a very beautiful woman. Your hair are very nice but it's not their lenghts who give you such a charming face, but the way you arrange them. As you want our opinion, i'd like to give you mine. My favorite picture of you is this.

Why ? Because you have a very sweet smile, of course, and moreover, your hair are pleasurable done. you'll notice their lenghts are not visible.

In addition to that, I'd like to refer to a very beautiful friend who cut their hairs although they are long. And she decided to have just under one centimeter. It change her style, but i love it. She looks like the french actrice Cécile de France.

Pretty. [Wink]

*Edit* : As you are and you'll be even with short hair. [Wink]

[ August 08, 2005, 01:30 PM: Message edited by: Choobak ]

Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.