FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hatrack Ladies, Please, Help Me Dress Myself! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Hatrack Ladies, Please, Help Me Dress Myself!
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
I also have a variety of hairsticks and Amish pins that I can mail to you, Olivia, if there is time.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
What's an Amish pin? *curious*
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Amish pins are hair physics in action. *grin

Traditional hairpins are bent tightly in half, and they rely on pressing down on hair to hold it in place. They are like clamps. This means that a very few hairs end up bearing most of the stress, and it's a recipe for hair breakage and slipping of the pins.

In contrast, Amish pins rely on pushing out against the hair, distributing the stress over a much greater area. They look like "V"s -- bent pieces of very smooth metal, but with more of a "U" shape at the tip of the bend. You pinch them shut before putting them in the hair, then let them "spring open" once inserted in the hair. Much, much more secure and hair-friendly.

So, instead of prying them open and clamping them down on little sections of the hair (as traditional hairpins do), you press them shut and then let them open back up in the bun, distributing the stress throughout the wrapped hair.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
OooOOOOOoooooooOOOOoooh.

I need me some of those. I wonder where I can get them around here?

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

I can hook you up with a place to do an online order, if you are interested. If so, remind me tomorrow -- I'm getting all groggy. Bedtime. [Smile]
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Ah! And I can mail you some to try first, if you like. But I'll probably want them back. Good stuff.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

It might be good to try them first, since my hair has a history of defying even wonderful products. [Smile]
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Ah, then I have several things for you to play with. [Smile] I've been meaning to send Olivet a toybox for awhile -- I should do one for both of you.

Remind me!

Sartorius
Member # 7696

- posted      Profile for Sartorius   Email Sartorius         Edit/Delete Post 
I really like the Chinese bun. You totally have the right look for that outfit. It's gorgeous.
Posts: 152 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
human_2.0
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for human_2.0   Email human_2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, my mom wants amish pins too.... she doesn't mind ordering online but doesn't know where... google wasn't much help.
Posts: 1209 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
CT, that Chinese bun is absolutely gorgeous! I'm bookmarking the site so I can explore! (hope my hair is long enough, though....)
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.