FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » My dog is a nut case -- suggestions? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: My dog is a nut case -- suggestions?
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I would have to agree with Smokey on this one. Its all those @#$@#$@ cats fault. If they wouldn't tease him like that, he wouldn't go bonkers.

Well not much anyway.

Theaca--
quote:
What does he do if he sees Dana out the window?
[ROFL]

Dana--
quote:
Point of order. I am the pack leader.

This is because when it comes to disciplining the dog, Bob is a total wimp.

The dog and Bob are different, right? This isn't some time of strange kinky thing you are discussing in code is it? I mean, if it is, I really don't want to know.

I'll wait for the web-site.

And finally, I have a great, gentle, quiet dog that hardly ever gets excited, unless a cat or small furry animal is nearby.

He then goes ballistic.

Once he catches the cat, he sucks on them. He puts the whole animal in his mouth, but doesn't bite. They are slimed.

I have rescued a few cats from this predicament.

They are never happy.

The dog, however, is completely satisfied.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Right...and as soon as she does, hopefully we can catch it right away. I should be able to get hold of them both by the scruff enough to get front legs off the ground in both (Max, mostly because the instant we start scolding he crouches and curls up). I'll make sure she gets an equal share of the scolding from now on; we've only been scolding him, because it's nearly always him that starts it, and then does his best to get over her and pin her down (which is what we assumed happen during the fight where she got hurt).
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
ok then I think I borrowed the library quite a while back... why it's hazy.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Also, she *could* get out of the way while he's in his altered state of consiousness "INVADERS" mode. It isn't like she doesn't know he's coming. I bet she stays on purpose just to bug him.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
That is not out the realm of possibility. This dog has, in the past, faked a limp when we were worrying over a small injury of Max's, picked a fight with him so she could steal my sandwich, and has figured out a tried-and-true method of getting Jim out of bed to let her out.

I love her to death because she's so smart, and she was an absolute blast to train, but she's definitely tricksy.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Bob, BannaOj's suggestions are great but they might not be enough to keep your dog safe when you are away.

In addition of her suggestions, you might want to try renting a shock collar for a week and setting up a fence near the windows so that she gets a little zap anytime she gets too close to the window. If she learns that going near the windows hurts, she is unlikely to jump through one when you are not at home.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

I'd actually go with the cheaper "bark collar" that I mentioned which can be found for about $60 at your local Walmart or Meijers. It sounds as if the bad behavior is accompanied by nusiance barking so it would do the trick. The batteries wear out sooner than a more expensive variety, but they normally get the point across. And you could by a dozen batteries before approaching the cost of the expensive ones. Most collars will allow one or two barks before they zap as well.

AJ

dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Shock collars are completely un-effective on teh Smokey. She just doesn't care.

Shocks to her feet, on the other hand, are highly effective. Hence, the scat-mat.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Scat mat sounds good. What does she think of citronella spray? I've heard of it working in dogs you wouldn't expect it to. (I have a friend with Siberian Huskies who are notoriously resistant to shock collars that tried this, and had it work like a dream.)
http://www.thepamperedpetmart.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=CNATDC&Category_Code=CAL&qts=google&qtk=bark (I have no idea of the reliability of this company) but it had a cool picture of it actually spraying.

just_me
Member # 3302

- posted      Profile for just_me           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Bob and dkw,

I can make sure your dog stops chasing cats. Just bring her over and introduce her to our cat. After our cat kicks her butt around the house a bit she'll be cured for life [Evil Laugh] .

Speaking of cats... hey AJ, are you any good with cats, or just dogs?

(edited for spelling and to give Bob's and dkw's dog a sex change)

Posts: 409 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Smokey doesn't chase cats. She just gets jealous when they're outside and she's not.

When we're on our morning walks and she sees a cat she doesn't bark at all.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Nope, never owned a cat in my life. I haven't spent the years researching feline communication and psychology like I have with dogs. I also suspect that pack/pride social structures vary more dramatically across the spectrum of the felis genus, than they do across the canis genus.

AJ

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, from what I have learned, there is very little difference in the behavior of wild cats and domesticated cats.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.