FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Going Acoustic to Electric (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Going Acoustic to Electric
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
I have the Cort M520 and it sounds very bright and clean. Add distortion and I feel like frickin' Angus Young. This is what is a blast for me, because I love rock and metal. There is nothing more fun than forgetting the world for even 10 minutes while I pretend I am Jimmy Page, Angus, Alex Lifeson, the list goes on and on.

I have been playing acoustic for about 15 years now and never got around to getting an electric because I knew that once I did, the floodgates would be open.

One other thing: this co-worker is a guy in his 2nd year of college and is very "up" on all the coolest gear. He has this distortion box that Smashing Pumpkins used that is manufactured by this Russian company which actually houses the components in a military-issue metal case, with olive paint and everything. This is possibly the coolest guitar gadget that I have ever seen, and you sound just like Billy Corgan. I believe the box is some sort of control box that went in Russian T-series tanks...

So to make a long story short, I made the conversion from acoustic to electric and I am in love. I still play acoustic, especially when I want to work out my "chops" a bit and also late at night so I don't wake the family. It is still as rewarding as it always was, just not as fun as plugging in and hitting the distortion :-).

Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BryanP
Member # 7772

- posted      Profile for BryanP           Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite guitarists are definitely rockers. My current fave is Jonny Greenwood, but I also love Page, Kirk Hammet, Jack White, etc. So perhaps electric would be a good way to go right now.

Let's say I can spend (TOPS!!!) $500 on a guitar and an amp (plus any sort of pedals, etc I might want). How much should I spend on each component? It sounds like many of you suggest spending more on an amp than a guitar. Maybe $200 on each? I want to keep it as cheap as possible and still get decent equipment (if I don't end up going with the Taylor 110).

Posts: 326 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
Bryan,

One other HUGE thing I forgot to mention. Many smaller shops will wheel and deal like a car dealership. You might be able to research some online prices and take this information to the place you plan to buy your guitar. Also, retailers usually have to pay up to 2.5% of the purchase price to a credit-card company if you use a credit card. So cash or check might even help you a little. I pursuaded the retailer to take 10% off my entire order from guitar, amp, strap, tuner, picks etc...

As far as giving you an exact amount, that is very hard. Many new beginner guitars that are nice start around $229 retail, and a nice-sized amp might run upwards of $300. So there you go. Make a deal and rock.

P.S. Check out a new metal band called Mastodon. Their riffs are simply amazing.

Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rico
Member # 7533

- posted      Profile for Rico           Edit/Delete Post 
BryanP:

$200 on each doesn't sound too bad. I got my current amp about 2 or 3 years ago for $125 dollars. It's a really nice 50W Marshall amp with all the bells and whistles.

Now, based on your list of favorite rockers I think I can safely recommend you two effect pedals: Wah and Distortion. Those are the two main pedals you're going to want, specially if you're looking to get a sound similar to Kirk Hammet's. (he's really into the wah pedals)

Last time I checked, some of the higher priced Boss pedals were selling for $50. They usually have an area where you can test out of the pedals at the store so my suggestion would be for you to go up there and try a lot of different guitar/amp/pedal combinations and see what you like. If you see a guitar you like get the clerk to plug it into the amp you're thinking about buying and then go ahead and try the effect pedals with that, you won't regret doing this, trust me [Smile]

Good luck!

Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr. Evil
Member # 8095

- posted      Profile for Dr. Evil   Email Dr. Evil         Edit/Delete Post 
Well I have to admit, when I was younger (say around 24 years ago), I worked my butt off one summer in order to save for a Les Paul and to this day I kick myself for getting rid of it. This was pre Gibson buying Epiphone too and I bought this awesome 1974 Gibson Les Paul Standard guitar in tobacco sunburst. Just such a great guitar. I shudder to think what that would be worth these days. Alas I traded it in for a Gibson Explorer 57 re-issue. I used to play nothing but metal and hard rock but I have since mellowed and listen to and play acoustic all the time. The one major advantage of the electric is that it will allow you to cut your teeth a little better in terms of getting around the fretboard and learning scales and such.

Ironically, my wife and I went into a Guitar Center one day to look around. I never had an electric since I met her so she had only heard me play acoustic. I picked up some metal-head looking guitar, plugged it in and proceeded to rip out a few licks. The look on my wife's face was priceless. She kind of just stared at me with this "Who the hell are you?" look on her face.

So BryanP, my advice would be to get your electric now and have some fun with it. Enjoy your playing.

Posts: 117 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BryanP
Member # 7772

I went back to Guitar Center tonight and checked out this Schecter:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/search/detail/base_pid/518181/

As well as a $300 Ibanez, though I don't remember the model number.

They both felt and sounded pretty much the same to me, and I tried them on $200 Crate and Line 6 amps. I definitely preferred the Line 6 over the Crate, though I have yet to check out Marshall. I also need to try this $300 Epiphone http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/search/detail/base_pid/518661/, though it's ratings aren't as high as the Schecter. Anyways, I'll probably go with one of those, but I couldn't really tell much difference.

Also, I want to thank you guys again for all your help. I doubt there's a board on the internet with nicer people [Smile]

Posts: 326 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Les Pauls are extremely nice guitars, it's true, but, dude, they are insanely expensive. I just don't think they're worth the money. You can get a very good guitar for way less than a Les Paul. I'd save that for after I signed my first big record contract. Then you can deduct it off your schedule C. [Smile]
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BryanP
Member # 7772

I'm sorry, Tatiana, were you referring to the Epiphone I linked to or someone else's post?
Swampjedi
Member # 7374

- posted      Profile for Swampjedi   Email Swampjedi         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to bump an older topic with a similar request.

I'm looking for a "beginner" electric guitar. I don't know for sure if I'll stick with it, but from what I've read here and elsewhere, I'll be more likely to stick with it if I get a decent one.

My dad got me a cheap acoustic a few years ago, and I put it down after about a week. I didn't get anywhere. In other words, I have zero experience.

I have about $400 to spend on the combination of amp and guitar. Any comments are appreciated.

Posts: 1069 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
My best advice would be to shop like a madman. Check out all the guitar centres in your area.

With zero experience, you probably don't know what you want to get out of your guitar. Ditto on the amp. Try every combination you can, and see what feels best for you in your price range.

Playing guitar takes a lot of practice. I wouldn't reccomend getting a brand new electric and an amp if you're not serious about learning how to play. It will take a lot more than a week to even begin to master the basics.

In other news, I ordered my new guitar over a month ago, and it still hasn't come in. I was supposed to get it in less than a week. I'm getting angry.

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
If you're only wanting to spend a few hundred bucks on an electric, check out http://www.rondomusic.net/electricguitar.html

The Agile guitars are surprisingly awesome, and if you want to improve them even more you can replace the pickups.

In addition, the customer service from this company is great. Email them if you have any questions.

This is the one I want to get (or one of the other AL-3000's), although the AL-2800 is pretty nice too.

Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Flying Dracula Hair
Member # 10155

- posted      Profile for The Flying Dracula Hair   Email The Flying Dracula Hair         Edit/Delete Post 
Honestly, I don't know how I feel about gear recs. I agree with FTOAS, go to the Guitar Center or the wherever that has a nice selection and any guitar and amp within your price range that sound good to YOU should be what you throw down cash for.
Posts: 299 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swampjedi
Member # 7374

FTOAS, the point I wanted to make was the cheapo acoustic didn't even remotely hold my interest. It didn't stay tuned, it didn't sound good, etc.

I'll try shopping around. I guess I was looking for "brands to avoid" type of advice. :-)

Posts: 1069 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Swampjedi:
FTOAS, the point I wanted to make was the cheapo acoustic didn't even remotely hold my interest. It didn't stay tuned, it didn't sound good, etc.

I'll try shopping around. I guess I was looking for "brands to avoid" type of advice. :-)

I got that point.

I got my first guitar (acoustic, medium sized, dreadnought cutaway, decent interior pickup) for 399$ plus tax. It's a great guitar, and I definitely gained some fingerstrength (I use heavy-gauge strings). Now I play electric guitar in a band, and my acoustic training was invaluble. I can bend the strings to a full tone higher without overexerting myself, for example. It's fine if you're set on getting an electric, though. Just be ready to put hours upon hours of practice into it.

Another thing, you'll need an instrument cable (not a crappy one. Be ready to spend around 20$ for a good cable), a strap (you'll want a decent one, as the cheap ones will dig and rub into your back. 10$-20$ is a decent price range.) and some picks. It will take you a little while to develop a good picking pattern and technique, so stick with cheap ones (most guitar places will let you take a handful of them when you get buy a guitar.) Avoid box-set guitars and amps, and anything you find in a store that doesn't specialize in musical instruments. Always be sure that you can test out the guitar before buying it. Have an employee help you if you need it.

Do you know which music you're most likely to play, or which kind of sound you want?

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
The thing I always do is just start hanging out at all the local guitar stores and playing any guitars they have that strike my fancy. You'll learn a whole lot more from the actual sound of yourself playing than anything else.

Then when you fall in love with a particular type of guitar, you can start searching online to get the very best price.

I've had very good luck with Yamahas, good inexpensive but well made guitars. I have always had a thing for Fender Telecaster type guitars, and I had two actual telecasters made by Fender that weren't made as well as the Yamaha tel-copy I have now.

Buying a decent guitar really makes a huge difference in how much you want to play, I've found. Crummy guitars can make the experience of playing no fun, and cause you to stop playing.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swampjedi
Member # 7374

I really appreciate all of the advice.

I like a rock sound mainly. I think that's what I'm aiming for.

Currently I'm looking at a Fender Stratocaster on Musician's Friend. It's listed for $399, which isn't too bad I suppose.

I'd go to the local music stores and play a few, except that I don't know how to play. At all.

I don't mind putting hours of practice into learning to play. I really don't have any hobbies, and I'd like to learn to do something "useful".

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.