FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Live Giant Squid Caught on Camera (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Live Giant Squid Caught on Camera
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
A moose once bit my sister.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
bad papa.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
It was not a moose. It was a llama.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
camus
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for camus   Email camus         Edit/Delete Post 
well that moose should have been sacked
Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OlavMah
Member # 756

- posted      Profile for OlavMah   Email OlavMah         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, well... moose and llamas are so similar looking.
Posts: 700 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
Moosi.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avadaru
Member # 3026

- posted      Profile for Avadaru   Email Avadaru         Edit/Delete Post 
Meese?
Posts: 1225 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
moosi
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OlavMah
Member # 756

Okay, so the media's wrong about there being "hooks to snag the squid" on the camera apparatus. The hooks were to spear the little tiny bait squid that they were using to attract the big squid, and the big squid got snagged on one by mistake.

I have also heard, anecdotally, that these scientists were in the passive squid camp (so, no, Dan, you wouldn't know them) and were surprised at how aggressive the giant squid was (did you see this squid at camp, Dan?)

Anyway, the original article, written by the scientists, is here , it's not much longer than the news stories (only 4 pages), and yet the media still managed to screw it up... [Roll Eyes]

[ September 29, 2005, 06:48 PM: Message edited by: OlavMah ]

Posts: 700 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
What gets me, and this doesn't have much to do with the squid exactly, is how non-excited people seem to be over this. People have been looking for this thing in its live environment for more than 100 years and it gets a blurb. I was super excited it was finally caught on camera, and everyone I mentioned this to were who cares?

I have actually noticed that this isn't the first time such a huge discovery was poo-pooed lately. Sure, it doesn't have much to do with our lives, and I can understand that. But, the amount of almost contempt for such information is becoming mind-boggling.

Maybe I am just imagining this reaction from the circles I run, but have we truely as a society lost our sense of discovery? Tom Cruis, new girl gets lots of news and this gets almost nothing.

Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess if it doesn't happen live on the discovery channel, then it doesn't happen at all.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OlavMah
Member # 756

There have been hoaxes that purport to show live giant squid. I sometimes wonder if the hoaxes sort of toughen everyone up, so they don't get excited about the real deal.

Also, the scientists went to a science journal, rather than going to a place like "Nature" or some other magazine with wide circulation and big colorful cover shots.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.