FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Live Giant Squid Caught on Camera (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Live Giant Squid Caught on Camera
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Read all about it.

I meant to post a link to this earlier this morning, but I forgot to until just a moment ago.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I was wondering when you were going to post this. [Smile]

That's pretty cool. Too bad they weren't able to mount a camera or tracking device or something on the squid.

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was pretty cool too -- except for the "struggling for four hours until it lost a tentacle" part.....
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Father Time
Member # 7985

- posted      Profile for Father Time   Email Father Time         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm, 20 ft long sushi
Posts: 56 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Yeah Farmgirl, I had the same response. I wonder how serious losing a tentacle is for a squid. Anyone have any idea?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't find anything solid on tentacle loss in Cephalods (but I did learn a new word!) That was my first thought too, that this squid had ripped its tentacle off to escape.

From general piecing together of information it sounds like the lost of a single tentacle is not disastrous for the squid, though, as it seems to use its eight legs as tentacles.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Can it grow a new one?
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Octopi can, so I suspect so.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I thought it was pretty cool too -- except for the "struggling for four hours until it lost a tentacle" part.....
But it makes for such a wonderful double entendre!
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
*squints*

I don't get it.

About the squid, I saw it earlier today and wondered when it would show up here. [Smile] That was fast, Noemon!

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
It really is a shame our first encounter with a giant squid ended so violently.

I bet the giant squid community is pissed.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting story, thanks for linking it, Noemon. [Smile]
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

quote:
*squints*

I don't get it.

Caught on camera...get it?!

*sigh* I don't know why I even bother with you people. [Razz]

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Frisco:
quote:
*squints*

I don't get it.

Caught on camera...get it?!

*sigh* I don't know why I even bother with you people. [Razz]

BOO! [Grumble]
Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

I hate you guys.

[/cartman]

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, giant squid is cool and everything, but I saw on msn.com this morning that there are also colossal squid, which are even bigger (as you would expect). I wanna see one of those.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
Next mission: find the colossal squid!
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Astaril
Member # 7440

- posted      Profile for Astaril   Email Astaril         Edit/Delete Post 
I just can't get the scene from Sphere (the book, not the movie) out of my head.
Posts: 624 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

Oh man, that's a great book (terrible movie). I'll have to reread it now.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
Octopuses can, so I suspect so.

There. That's better.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

But octopi sounds so much cooler!
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Only because our culture and educational system teach us to be infatuated with Latin.
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
[nerd voice]Only because our culture and educational system teach us to be infatuated with Latin. ::snort:: [/voice]
Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Wow. That was the stupidest attempt at an insult I've seen in a long time.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
If we were really infatuated with Latin, we would use the Latin root and plural, not the Greek root and an incorrect plural.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Being infatuated with something doesn't mean you actually know it very well. [Razz]
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
has anyone seen this? has noemon posted a link and I missed it?
http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/09/29/robot.race.ap/index.html

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

I think that we're going to be seeing more and more of this sort of thing--the X Prize really blazed a trail in terms of this method of encouraging technological development (I don't know that the X Prize was the first such competition, but it's certainly the first that really caught the attention of the wider media). The government can offer cash prizes for technology that are tiny compared to the amount it would cost them to develop the technology themselves. It's a brilliant way of developing new tech, I think.

The race itself is pretty cool too. It's interesting to see how much more able this race's robots are than the previous race's.

kojabu
Member # 8042

quote:
Originally posted by Jon Boy:
Only because our culture and educational system teach us to be infatuated with Latin.

So is that why I like the sound of moosi for the plural of moose? Or is that just because I'm weird.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Probably the latter. [Wink]
Avadaru
Member # 3026

- posted      Profile for Avadaru   Email Avadaru         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
This year, Carnegie Mellon entered two vehicles, an improved Sandstorm and a converted Hummer called H1ghlander. The latter, which signals its presence by fire siren sounds, ran the course in about 10 minutes Wednesday, but sideswiped a couple of obstacles.
A good friend of mine gives me daily updates on the progress of these robots. He's part of Red Team, the makers of Sandstorm and H1ghlander. I'm excited to see how the race turns out. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1225 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Astaril
Member # 7440

- posted      Profile for Astaril   Email Astaril         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was twelve I thought everything was -i in the Latin plural. I tried to be smart and wrote a story called "Escape of the Rabbi" about two runaway bunnies. Needless to say, my teacher was both initially confused, and then terribly, terribly amused.
Posts: 624 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avadaru
Member # 3026

- posted      Profile for Avadaru   Email Avadaru         Edit/Delete Post 
Astaril - [ROFL]
Posts: 1225 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
The more I learn about cephalopods, the more fascinated I am.

I heard mention of this on NPR yesterday, I thought of Hatrack. [Smile]

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone have a good recipe for Octa Pie?

And is the singular of "Jedi" "Jedus"?

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OlavMah
Member # 756

- posted      Profile for OlavMah   Email OlavMah         Edit/Delete Post 
No one actually knows if "colossal" squid are bigger than giant squid. It's the kind of thing that sparks passionate arguments between marine biologists. (Yes, I am on a listserv on which marine biologists get into passionate fights over squid size - you haven't lived until....)

Thing is, there just aren't enough specimins of either to say for sure. But colossal squid do have nasty looking teeth on their tentacles, and one did get into what might have been a fight with a fishing net (there was also a passionate debate over whether the squid attacked, or was just struggling to get free, thus dividing the academics and aquarists into aggressive squid v. passive squid camps.)

Interesting thing about the giant squid pix, they were taken almost a year ago and just now got released in a peer reviewed journal.

Posts: 700 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:

This year, Carnegie Mellon entered two vehicles, an improved Sandstorm and a converted Hummer called H1ghlander. The latter, which signals its presence by fire siren sounds, ran the course in about 10 minutes Wednesday, but sideswiped a couple of obstacles.

A good friend of mine gives me daily updates on the progress of these robots. He's part of Red Team, the makers of Sandstorm and H1ghlander. I'm excited to see how the race turns out.
I was supposed to start volunteering with the team out of UL-Lafayette, but I got too busy. I think it's fascinating though, and I'm definitely still following it.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
camus
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for camus   Email camus         Edit/Delete Post 
A mushroom walks into a bar, sits down and orders a drink. The bartender says "We don't serve mushrooms here." The mushroom says, "Why not? I'm a fun guy!"
Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
thus dividing the academics and aquarists into aggressive squid v. passive squid camps.)
As a kid my parents sent me to aggresive squid camp.

We have issues.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OlavMah
Member # 756

Yeah, but, camus, what's that got to do with colossal squid and robotic vehicles? What, you think you can just post anything on this thread????
Posts: 700 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I got it. He is talking about the plural of octopus/octopi fungus/fungi.

It's much funnier after I explained it, no?

No?

Nah, I didn't think so either.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
camus
Member # 8052

OlavMah,
I admit it has absolutely nothing to do with colossal squid or robotic vehicles. It was merely something that came to mind while I was reading half of the thread dealing with plural words.

Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OlavMah
Member # 756

I was kidding... I would think that if we've wandered the gamut from colossal squid to robotic vehicles, we can consider this an unfocused thread.

Lighten up, guys.

romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it has to do with -i as a Latin plural ending.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
D'oh! Late again.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

This thread has been thoroughly hatracked.
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
yes, but is that Hatracks or hatrackes or hatracki?
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
camus
Member # 8052

OK, forgive the lame joke...to get back on topic...

quote:
Below the camera, they suspend a weighted jig - a set of ganged hooks to snag the squid - along with a single Japanese common squid as bait and an odour lure consisting of chopped-up shrimps.
I don't know if I like the way this little contraption works. It sounds pretty dangerous to begin with.
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But colossal squid do have nasty looking teeth on their tentacles
[Eek!] Munching hands!

When this was announced on NPR, it was right after them announcing that there was a trip to the Arctic where they found far more life there than they were expecting--particularly large animals. So I assumed that the giant squid was caught on camera in the Arctic.

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Live Giant Squid Caught on Camera
I'd like to return this camera; there seems to be a live giant squid caught on it, and I just can't manage to get it loose.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.