FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Men. How do I deal with them? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Men. How do I deal with them?
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
That's *got* to make it tough to follow "The Code".
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the rule in the shower in the locker room was keep your eyes up towards the ceiling and just pretend like there aren't naked guys also showering around you. As for the Astrodome, I just tried to get into the corner and go on a diagonal (no peeking that way).
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Out of curiosity, even doing your best to follow "The Code", do you still see a lot of, um, stuff? [Blushing]
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

Even if you followed the code and tried your best, you were still bound to see something. And I do know that some guys were not following the rule since a "friend" of mine started spreading certain things about me based off it. *sigh* Stupid middle school days.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

I remember my husband and his best friend going off on stories of guys locker rooms to me and the friend's girlfriend. Suddenly it sunk in for both of us how stressful that whole thing is for guys. We just had no idea.
pfresh85
Member # 8085

It depends on the guys. I've heard that some guys are fine with it and it doesn't bother them. Then you have people like me who it's one of their worst memories from that time period.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I also hated that time from school. Guys aren't as comfortable with it as they are made out to be I think. I know I certainly wasn't. I hated changing and showering around other guys.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

I imagine most guys hate it. And yet, if any guy tried to get it changed, it would be like sacrificing his manhood. Guys are expected to buck up and deal with it.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

It's part of our sacred rituals of manhood. Only one of which is meant to be pleasant. The others are all designed to be horrible.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
...I thought Lyrhawn was female. Dagnabbit.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

Wait, which one is meant to be pleasant?
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I have no problem with communal showers, but I have great difficulty peeing at a urinal when there's another person within a few urinals of me. This sometimes leads to me standing around in front of a urinal for considerable periods of time. [Razz]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

I've got that problem too, twinky. It's why I avoid public urinals if I can. Then again I also hate communal showers. I'm glad I have my own private bathroom here at college.
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by twinky:
I have no problem with communal showers, but I have great difficulty peeing at a urinal when there's another person within a few urinals of me. This sometimes leads to me standing around in front of a urinal for considerable periods of time. [Razz]

Then just pee in the toilet stall instead.

I had a friend who actually had someone reach over and give him a "squeeze" while he was peeing in a public urinal. My friend wasn't being very attentive to what was going on around him (not too unbelievable for this cat) and all of a sudden he felt a little pinch and just kind of jumped out of his shoes. He claims that he laid the guy out but I think it more likely that he made a run for his money.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

Using the toilet stall wastes water. Nonetheless, I do that when there aren't enough available urinals.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I'm one of those guys who make pfresh uncomfortable. I have no problem in communal showers nor peeing in urinals/troughs/the bushes. Which is not to say that I don't notice some serious breaches in urinal etiquette when they happen, but I'm unwilling to allow the uneducated to keep my bladder from emptying.
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StickyWicket
Member # 7926

- posted      Profile for StickyWicket   Email StickyWicket         Edit/Delete Post 
blah blah drama drama

Alt.

I can't understand why this event warranted a post. You met up with a guy, you went out for coffee, you went back to his place, he tried to put a move on you, you thwarted it. Big frikkin whoop, that happens to guys all the time. Partly because we are never really sure if a girl is being "flirtatious for fun" or has something behind it. If you are going to have a dramatic self-evaluation every time you need to inform a guy that you are not interested, you'll be in trouble. oh, and next time you might want to send clearer signals to him that you just want to "hang out".......being that the whole night was just you two and you ended up in his apt. at 2am. just a thought.

Posts: 128 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

[Eek!] There's a lot of bitterness in that post.

*amused* So girls should only hang around guys for whom they have romantic intent?

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

quote:
Originally posted by Bob the Lawyer:
Which is not to say that I don't notice some serious breaches in urinal etiquette when they happen, but I'm unwilling to allow the uneducated to keep my bladder from emptying.

See, I feel this way about it too, and I'm trying to break that mental block, but it isn't easy.
StickyWicket
Member # 7926

- posted      Profile for StickyWicket   Email StickyWicket         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by katharina:
So girls should only hang around guys for whom they have romantic intent?

Well no, I never said that, or anything like that, or even used those words. Reading is fundamental eh Kat? I was simply stating that, in the absence of clear signals, you are giving a signal by your behavior. I also was not intending to be misinterpreted as saying that girls owe guys something if the guy has it all wrong. It's just unfair to "play" like you don't know he's interested.
Posts: 128 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Part of being a girl is learning how to not be offended by attempts but still say no. Part of being a guy is learning how to not be offended that girls don't put their relationship availability on signs around their necks.

He tried, she said no, it's still fine. If that was outlawed by custom in society, there would be a great deal less pairing off going on.

There's no shame in getting rejected. You don't have to be upset by it - just deal with it and move on.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by katharina:
...I thought Lyrhawn was female. Dagnabbit.

That hurts. Been here for a year, and apparently posted like a girl the whole time. Now I need comfort food. [Frown] Ack! That's why she thinks I'm a girl! Must. Be. Manly!

quote:
Originally posted by Pfresh85: Wait, which one is meant to be pleasant?
The one that for centuries has supposedly made you a "man." You know, the thing we're all after? The thing we pretend to be friends with girls for so we can get it? The thing we think about every other second?
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
The real problem is when someone switches roles on you. Rejection is one thing, mixed signals are expected. But the people who grab your crotch, grind against you on the dance floor, slip naked into your room to wait for you to come home, or literally rip the shirt off your back, these people are harder for me to deal with. Not enough practice, I guess.
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Comfort food?
twinky
Member # 693

Welllll... there's nothing wrong with a little grinding on the dance floor between friends.
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

That's not what you said when you drove down last week [Frown]
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

"Comfort food?"

Yeah, chocolate, ice cream, things that are fattening but make us feel better that we eat when we are sad.

Isn't that a female stereotype?

katharina
Member # 827

Bobble's post came between mine and yours, and all the funny was lost. [Frown]
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Alt, if you go to the apartment- as opposed to some place communal, like a dorm- of a member of the opposite sex, alone, at 2 AM... No small number of people are going to interpret that as interest. I'm glad the guy had the decency to immediately back off when you told him no. Be careful. I'm not saying anything about right or wrong or who got what signals crossed, just... Be careful.
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

Bobble -- Stopping the funny one post at a time.
katharina
Member # 827

It just makes you look funnier by comparison.

That was the plan, wasn't it? [Mad]

[ October 05, 2005, 01:44 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

pfresh85
Member # 8085

quote:
Originally posted by Bob the Lawyer:
I guess I'm one of those guys who make pfresh uncomfortable. I have no problem in communal showers nor peeing in urinals/troughs/the bushes. Which is not to say that I don't notice some serious breaches in urinal etiquette when they happen, but I'm unwilling to allow the uneducated to keep my bladder from emptying.

The ones who make me really uncomfortable were the guys that walked around the locker room with no clothes on and no concern.

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
]The one that for centuries has supposedly made you a "man." You know, the thing we're all after? The thing we pretend to be friends with girls for so we can get it? The thing we think about every other second?

Ah. I see. I didn't realize that was a ritual thing, I thought it was just biological.
beverly
Member # 6246

quote:
It's just unfair to "play" like you don't know he's interested.
Um, I don't think it's "playing". Alt has already expressed her own insecurities, something that many women feel. She is a gorgeous woman, and it is reasonable that many of the guys she interacts with are interested in her on one level or another. But that doesn't mean she should be expected to know it.
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by StickyWicket:
blah blah drama drama

Alt.

I can't understand why this event warranted a post. You met up with a guy, you went out for coffee, you went back to his place, he tried to put a move on you, you thwarted it. Big frikkin whoop, that happens to guys all the time. Partly because we are never really sure if a girl is being "flirtatious for fun" or has something behind it. If you are going to have a dramatic self-evaluation every time you need to inform a guy that you are not interested, you'll be in trouble. oh, and next time you might want to send clearer signals to him that you just want to "hang out".......being that the whole night was just you two and you ended up in his apt. at 2am. just a thought.

In case you have not been reading things clearly, I have specifically said that I do not know how to deal with men in general. I'm seeking advice from those who do or more or less do. As per my landmark and "I need Psyco help" thread, I have stated clearly enough that I do not know how to treat men because I never had any male influence in my life. I do not know how men think, what they want, expect, etc. Besides, as I have stated before, pretty much everyone goes to sleep very late in here because there are no curfews and we are college students. I'm sure he would've made his move regardless of what time we drank that coffee.
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StickyWicket
Member # 7926

quote:
Originally posted by beverly:
She is a gorgeous woman

equal opportunity eh Bev?
Ramdac99
Member # 7264

- posted      Profile for Ramdac99   Email Ramdac99         Edit/Delete Post 
way to make an ass of yourself Sticky.
[Laugh]

Posts: 484 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

quote:
Besides, as I have stated before, pretty much everyone goes to sleep very late in here because there are no curfews and we are college students. I'm sure he would've made his move regardless of what time we drank that coffee.
Perhaps so. I don't know the guy, and I certainly wasn't privy to what conversation occurred before the guy made his move. But consider that if you are at someone's private place at an hour that people usually go to sleep- even if that sleep hour is unusual, as it often is in college- that person may interpret that as an intention to sleep there.
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

quote:
equal opportunity eh Bev?
I guess that went over my head. [Dont Know]
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
Nononononono! We were at my place at 2:30am! We just watched a movie in his place, we went back at around 1am to my place.
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

Ah, my mistake. That's good- you have more control in your own home. Though, _he_ may still have been under that impression.

I don't know what the housing situation is like at your college, Altariel. Are there lounges or other quasi-public places to socialize? Are you in a dorm, or do you have an apartment, or do you share a house with someone?

I am not in any way suggesting you did anything wrong- I don't think you did. I'm just trying to come up with nonverbal ways to make such situations clearer in the future.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by pfresh85:
Ah. I see. I didn't realize that was a ritual thing, I thought it was just biological.

So is peeing, but it still has rules attached to it apparently.
pfresh85
Member # 8085

I thought the rule had to do with looking though and not with the act of peeing. In fact, I can't recall any rules for peeing except not to miss.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I suppose that's a valid point. But you have to admit that sex is probably one of the most ritualized acts in the history of human culture, other than sacrifice.

The pressure guys feel comes from a desire to be manly, and seen as manly, in the eyes of other men. Thus it's ritualized in our culture. There aren't any rules per se on HOW to have sex, the rule is just to have it.

pfresh85
Member # 8085

I guess you're right there. No arguments from me.
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Twinky, I never had a problem about peeing when someone else was at the next urinal until I was in high school, and had a friend who had the problem. When he first mentioned it to me I just thought "wow, that sucks. Poor him," but after that I'd think about it while standing at the urinal, and be unable to pee. I dealt with it by just making the other people vanish, mentally. I'd just visualize the bathroom completely empty, with maybe a tumbleweed or something blowing through it, or visualize myself elsewhere, and really bring it all into being clearly enough that it was like they weren't there. Worked like a charm. Eventally I got out of the habit of thinking about the possibility of not being able to pee, and the problem went away.

I also never really had a problem with communal showering, by the way. I'd have preferred not to have had to have taken them, but given that I had to, and everyone else had to as well, I just put up with it and didn't worry too much about it.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
A while back I read something about a psychologist who offered therapy for men who were uncomfortable with public restrooms, had difficulty peeing when somebody was right next to them, etc. I don't have a link and I don't recall the term he attached to this hang-up. Let's call it "Peeophobia" for the purpose of this post.

One of his recommended therapies for helping men overcome their peeophobia was to spend more time in public restrooms, even when not having to use the facilities, to become more comfortable with them in general. Upon reading that, I immediately thought it was a brilliant way for this psychologist to drum up more business. After all, if there are men just kind of hanging around in the restroom when I need to pee, I'm going to develop peeophobia really darn quickly.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
Clever.

Myself, I can only use an empty restroom. Just one of those things.

As to the showers at my schools, past and present, in the locker room: no one used them. Unless you were on an athletic team, of course. P.E. didn't require it, because frankly they were nasty. Mildewed and spewing rusty or greenish water. No one went near them.

Showering I don't have such a problem with. I've never looked at other people--that's such a violation of ettiquette and privacy that I can't believe people do it at all--but I never felt uncomfortable or like I had to stare at the ceiling. Probably because when we lived in Europe, went to a lot of spas and pools where clothes were the exception rather than the rule.

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luthe
Member # 1601

- posted      Profile for luthe   Email luthe         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be more bothered by some dude just standing around in the restroom, than by someone using the urinal next to me.
Posts: 1458 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

I basically had to shower. I was on the football team, so my options after practice were a) shower (and look kind of nice for class) or b) don't shower (and be all sweaty and nasty for class).
Sterling
Member # 8096

How did this topic end up HERE?

Rhetorical question. The scroll button on my mouse works fine.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.